Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley chasing Greer - bid rejected

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't know anything about this, at all. But I have a feeling he will go. He's 31 and he's only got a year left, if we can get a fee to match his value then it would be good business to sell, considering his age. Considering some of the defenders currently on the market as well, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to get a younger version. I liked the look of Matt Mills at Leicester, who has been told he can leave. Obviously, we wouldn't pay the £5million fee that they did but he would be a fantastic signing and was captaining them I think. Plus we already have Lewis Dunk and Adam El-Abd with plenty of Championship experience now. I don't think this story is going to go away.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agent engineered, for leverage towards an improved / extended Albion contract, I reckon.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Agent engineered, for leverage towards an improved / extended Albion contract, I reckon.

I hope not. That doesn't ever tend to go down too well with Mr Poyet. I can see the conversation now, "Gus, I want a new contract". "Why? You have a year left on the current one, we'll talk next year".

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hope not. That doesn't ever tend to go down too well with Mr Poyet. I can see the conversation now, "Gus, I want a new contract". "Why? You have a year left on the current one, we'll talk next year".

Its how the business works - so long as its done in the right way, it won't be a problem.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Its how the business works - so long as its done in the right way, it won't be a problem.

Is it possible to be done "in the right way" with agents running around needing their cut of signing on fees, etc? I thought this was a complete non-story when I first read about it this afternoon, but the more I think about the logistics of it, the more I think we may have seen the last of Gordon Greer. As [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION] said, it's not dissimilar to how we signed him from Swindon.

Just no rumours about him being friendly with one of our goalkeepers' wife.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is it possible to be done "in the right way" with agents running around needing their cut of signing on fees, etc? I thought this was a complete non-story when I first read about it this afternoon, but the more I think about the logistics of it, the more I think we may have seen the last of Gordon Greer. As [MENTION=5]Turkey[/MENTION] said, it's not dissimilar to how we signed him from Swindon.

Just no rumours about him being friendly with one of our goalkeepers' wife.

Swindon > Brighton > Barnsley isn't exactly a model of consistent upward mobility, is it? "Ah'm 31, and ah'll consider my career as done noo, ma worrrrk is done, so ah thunk ah'll start taking life in Easy Street..."

Don't get me wrong, I've got a lot of time for Keith Hill, but I'm just wondering what Barnsley can offer next season that we can't...

28,000 stadium
Top half Championship side
Gus Poyet
Vicente
Pies
Human life

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Swindon > Brighton > Barnsley isn't exactly a model of consistent upward mobility, is it? "Ah'm 31, and ah'll consider my career as done noo, ma worrrrk is done, so ah thunk ah'll start taking life in Easy Street..."

Don't get me wrong, I've got a lot of time for Keith Hill, but I'm just wondering what Barnsley can offer next season that we can't...

28,000 stadium
Top half Championship side
Gus Poyet
Vicente
Pies
Human life

I'm not saying Barnsley have anything to offer that we can't. I'm just thinking that maybe we won't. We could give him a new contract, probably on better terms than Barnsley would. But with a year left on his contract, I suspect we won't be in a rush to re-negotiate. I like Greer, I voted him as player of the season and I am in no rush at all to see him leave.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gordon Greer going to Barnsley is like Glenn Murray going to Crystal Palace. A defining moment , which says to a footballer - your career is in a decline.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could it be that if Gus manages to get us promoted his agent thinks that he wouldn't cope in the Premier League so it is a get out while I can command a good wage situation rather than wait to see what happens next season. He is a very saleable commodity at the moment with Gus saying he should play for Scotland but would he be so in 12 months if we get promoted.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
As one of them commented (quite fairly), they can see why we'd be dismissive if our reaction was based entirely on the league position/relative trajectories of the club, but their issue seems to be our perceived arrogance that they even bid.

I disagree, they are perfectly entitled to make a bid for whoever they want. And I don't want to get involved with the inter-forum "my club's bigger than your club" bollocks. But I just think it's a waste of everyone's time to bid for our club captain (does 500k actually hold any water or is that just conjecture?) and an integral part of our play-off push. It's not like us bidding for Vidic, but it is like us bidding for Rob Green because we need a keeper. We're entitled to bid but it's just a bit pointless because West Ham would say no. Likewise us with Greer; he's a key player and unless they threw £1.5m+ at us (which they don't have) and 10k p/w+ at him (which they don't have) it wouldn't even be entertained. Congratulations to them for the ambition and cheek of trying to rob a divisional rival's captain but jog on, nothing to see here.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Perhaps they noticed he was rested or dropped for last few games of the season and thought about a cheeky bid..If Greer only has one year left on his contract the club maybe tempted, depending when they see themselves in a years time. Greer is very much a part of the present, without doubt. But he is not part of the long term future, for the right money he may well leave.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not saying Barnsley have anything to offer that we can't. I'm just thinking that maybe we won't. We could give him a new contract, probably on better terms than Barnsley would. But with a year left on his contract, I suspect we won't be in a rush to re-negotiate. I like Greer, I voted him as player of the season and I am in no rush at all to see him leave.

I believe Gordon is part of Gus' long-term plans - or as long as he can keep playing. To that end, the club will do what it can, or what it needs to - which, to be fair doesn't need to be much given the fact he is captain, liked, respected, usually a model of consistency and pretty huge - to keep him here.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I believe Gordon is part of Gus' long-term plans - or as long as he can keep playing. To that end, the club will do what it can, or what it needs to - which, to be fair doesn't need to be much given the fact he is captain, liked, respected, usually a model of consistency and pretty huge - to keep him here.

Who knows what Gus is thinking, even people who work closely with the club don't have a scooby what's going on, with the playing side of things. He did say at the end of the season that big decisions were going to be made and Greer was dropped/rested for the last few games. Maybe this could be one of those big decisions. Nothing would surprise me with Poyet....The only thing that would surprise me is if YOU doubted him at any stage ever!!!! But then you know what his long term plans are don't you lol.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Swindon fans probably said the same things. I am reliably told he told Danny Wilson, then manager, he wanted to sit down and discuss a new contract. Wilson allegedly said he had to wait like everyone else until the season begins, Greer was unhappy and we signed him. It probably seems like I'm trying to make the case for him to leave, but I'm not. I don't want him to leave, I just think it's not a complete non-starter.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We fought off Cardiff when they bid for Noone, giving him a new contract just afterwards.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We fought off Cardiff when they bid for Noone, giving him a new contract just afterwards.

Noone's not 31 and wouldn't be one of the larger earners at the club. Where as the club captain surely would be. I agree this has probably been driven by Greer's agent trying to get a new contract, which would surely mean more money. For example, if the agent is looking for a two year extension, this would take Greer up to 34, as good as he is, he isn't going to get better at his age now and maybe Gus won't want him at 34. Greer is a good player but he is no Steve Foster.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't know anything about this, at all. But I have a feeling he will go. He's 31 and he's only got a year left, if we can get a fee to match his value then it would be good business to sell, considering his age. Considering some of the defenders currently on the market as well, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to get a younger version. I liked the look of Matt Mills at Leicester, who has been told he can leave. Obviously, we wouldn't pay the £5million fee that they did but he would be a fantastic signing and was captaining them I think. Plus we already have Lewis Dunk and Adam El-Abd with plenty of Championship experience now. I don't think this story is going to go away.

Having read the whole thread I make it 2posters have 'a feeling' that he will go....thankfully transfers are based on more than that...what utter tripe....good on Barnsley for showing some ambition...but it ain't gonna happen....I got a 'feeling' lol

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There is definite truth in their interest. Been weighing up a move since before we played them at the end of the season.

But personally I would imagine their chances are a big fat NIL.

As soon as I heard of this today I thought of your EXCLUSIVE break of this story last Friday at REMF game :clap: Top work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here