Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley chasing Greer - bid rejected

Stumpy Tim

Agent engineered, for leverage towards an improved / extended Albion contract, I reckon.

I agree this has probably been driven by Greer's agent trying to get a new contract, which would surely mean more money.

So the agent has managed to get Barnsley to make a bid? How does that work? (hint... it doesn't). It's more likely Barnsley think he's a good player and made a bid for that reason.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So the agent has managed to get Barnsley to make a bid? How does that work? (hint... it doesn't). It's more likely Barnsley think he's a good player and made a bid for that reason.

An agent will have contacts within football clubs (players , scouts , etc) to put out feelers. It only needs a player to mention to their gaffer that so and so only has a year left on their contract or a scouting report to land on the desk to set the ball in motion.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Swindon fans probably said the same things. I am reliably told he told Danny Wilson, then manager, he wanted to sit down and discuss a new contract. Wilson allegedly said he had to wait like everyone else until the season begins, Greer was unhappy and we signed him. It probably seems like I'm trying to make the case for him to leave, but I'm not. I don't want him to leave, I just think it's not a complete non-starter.

I'm totally with you on this. I want him to stay but I can also see why its not a complete non-starter. It's not a case of "who is better Brighton or Barnsley?". It's who's willing to pay him x amount extra for x amount of years. If for example Barnsley are telling his agent he will get an extra 3k a week and a 3 year deal, we've got to think is he worth that much, for that long. It's not only the extra wages and length that will cost us, but the transfer fee we don't recieve too. My 3k figure is plucked out of the air a bit but that would be an extra £468,000 + any transfer fee they are offering us. Could we use that money to get a younger, cheaper centre half? I'm not saying thats what I want us to do, but its certainly what the board and Gus will have to consider.

The ideal situation for me is he gets a wage rise and a years extension (so two more seasons) with us, which is probably on the cards anyway. The question is can Barnsley offer enough extra to turn Greer's head, I'd hope not, but time will tell.

Last edited:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Barnsley are the Palace of the North, shitty scummy fans, surrounded by much bigger teams, currently punching well above their weight.

Complete bunch of nobbers when they come down here as well. certaintly not a fixture I would be to bothered about missing if they got relegated.

As for trying to sign any Brighton players, really dont have an issue with that, im sure plenty of our squad would get in the Barnsley team, just dont think they have a real chance of taking one of our better players.

remember they have signed Dickinson and Mcnulty from us in the past, but once again they were fringe players Gus didnt want.
Munkfish I might be alone here but IMHO Jimmy McNulty was, or still is a class player I would be happy to see him in our squad anyday...

Stumpy Tim

An agent will have contacts within football clubs (players , scouts , etc) to put out feelers. It only needs a player to mention to their gaffer that so and so only has a year left on their contract or a scouting report to land on the desk to set the ball in motion.

There's a long way to go from someone mentioning a player only has a year left to the chairman and manager of a football club making a formal transfer bid. I don't buy that at all

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
The ideal situation for me is he gets a wage rise and a years extension (so two more seasons) with us, which is probably on the cards anyway. The question is can Barnsley offer enough extra to turn Greer's head, I'd hope not, but time will tell.

I don't see why we should give him a wage rise, he signed a contract on x amount which probably included some sort of promotion bonus. I would rather we let him see out his contract, I'm not sure at the end of next season when he will be 32 that he will be considered a starter.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
I'm totally with you on this. I want him to stay but I can also see why its not a complete non-starter. It's not a case of "who is better Brighton or Barnsley?". It's who's willing to pay him x amount extra for x amount of years. If for example Barnsley are telling his agent he will get an extra 3k a week and a 3 year deal, we've got to think is he worth that much, for that long. It's not only the extra wages and length that will cost us, but the transfer fee we don't recieve too. My 3k figure is plucked out of the air a bit but that would be an extra £468,000 + any transfer fee they are offering us. Could we use that money to get a younger, cheaper centre half? I'm not saying thats what I want us to do, but its certainly what the board and Gus will have to consider.

Someone like Steve Cook?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Who knows what Gus is thinking, even people who work closely with the club don't have a scooby what's going on, with the playing side of things. He did say at the end of the season that big decisions were going to be made and Greer was dropped/rested for the last few games. Maybe this could be one of those big decisions. Nothing would surprise me with Poyet....The only thing that would surprise me is if YOU doubted him at any stage ever!!!! But then you know what his long term plans are don't you lol.

Who knows indeed? But then I'm not the one making an assumption that he is off because someone might come in for him. Or that he has recahed the limit of his ability.

Greer was injured. He said so himself - issues with an old hernia op. Of course, the all-seeing, all-knowing, facile footballing ignorati are going to turn this round and say 'yeah, he would say that, wouldn't he...?'

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I don't see why we should give him a wage rise, he signed a contract on x amount which probably included some sort of promotion bonus. I would rather we let him see out his contract, I'm not sure at the end of next season when he will be 32 that he will be considered a starter.

Quite possible. Depends how much money is being bid and if we can justify not taking it and losing him for nothing in 12 months. Also Gus would have to consider Greer's character and whether he'd throw his toys out the pram and try to force a move. Feel like I keeping needing to say it but I totally want him to stay. Great player. Just playing devil's advocate really because I can see the flip side of it. Personally I hope he thinks at 31 this is his best crack at getting to the Premier League and sticks with us even if the contract isnt quite as good.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
People talking about Greer's agent maybe trying to engineer a new contract, but it's equally possible the situation is being manipulated in a different way.

Barnsley saying oh no we've had two bids turned down, but look at these two players we're trying to get, buy a season ticket pls.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If there is nothing more to this than them going "He's quite good, let's bid for him", then it's almost like a 12 yr old playing football manager as it is so illogical. Which leads me to think there is either something to it (e.g. agent work or whatever) or that it isn't true.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
They were 1 place above relegation so in prem terms that's QPR
We were bit above mid table so Everton, Fulham type territory

Would QPR bid for Phil Jagielka, or Brede Hangeland? Yes for sure especially if the selling club were going to buy someone younger and better in the summer and had other decent CBs already as back-ups. If not though the club would tell them where to go as we appear to have done.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I liked the look of Matt Mills at Leicester, who has been told he can leave. Obviously, we wouldn't pay the £5million fee that they did but he would be a fantastic signing and was captaining them I think.

My mate is a Leics supporter and he says Mills is utter cack ... rang me the other day in total delight at speculation that Celtic are lining up a bid for him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here