Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley chasing Greer - bid rejected

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
£100K

LOL.

I'd be embarassed to be a Barnsley fan. Would have been relegated if Pompey didn't enter admin.

League 1 awaits them, derby V Rotherham soon :)

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Shock! Horror! another club dares to put an offer in for our captain...........surely there's double standards here.......some on here can talk about 'targets' at other clubs, but put the shoe on the other foot......

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Going back to Edna's bid for the Van Gogh, there's a chance it could happen. I've heard the painting is keen on a move south to be nearer dear old Holland.

Is it in the last year of its contract at the gallery?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, because one match against ANYONE at ANY POINT is significant! We're miles better than Newcastle but far shitter than Coventry.

Exactly. Ridiculous comments above. By their logic, Newcastle should SERIOUSLY consider a 300k offer for Ben Arfa from us.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Shock! Horror! another club dares to put an offer in for our captain...........surely there's double standards here.......some on here can talk about 'targets' at other clubs, but put the shoe on the other foot......

Greer is at very least a £1m rated player. An offer of sub-100k IS hilarious. Unquestionably. Like if we offered 250k for Zaha, they would be laughing their heads off, and rightfully so.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Going back to Edna's bid for the Van Gogh, there's a chance it could happen. I've heard the painting is keen on a move south to be nearer dear old Holland.

Is it in the last year of its contract at the gallery?

We don't need him, we've already got one Painter and we're trying to flog him anyway.

The last time we had two Paynters didnt exactly go well did it?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
'Historically bigger'...funniest thing I've read on here for a long time.

Historical size doesn't matter in the short term. It is potential.

Yes Barnsley have traditionally been a second tier side (they've spent more seasons in the second tier than any other club), whilst we've spent most of our history in the third tier, but the important thing is potential, not historical size or historical success.

I don't know how long we'll have to wait for top flight football in Brighton, but I'm pretty sure it will happen before Barnsley. I am not sure how long until we one day get relegated to League One, but I am pretty sure it will be a long time after Barnsley.

I may get shot in flames for this, but why are people getting so wound up at the thought that Barnsley are considered by some to be historically bigger? Does it really matter? Are we really that insecure about ourselves?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Only just seen this due to lack of internet at the moment, all I can say is:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
That's right. The team we played a meaningless 90 minutes with on the last day of the season when the result meant nothing at all. If your aspirations aren't higher than Barnsley then you're doing nobody any favours!

My aspirations are for the Albion to be the best team in the world.
I fail to see how this will be achieved by belittling a club with a smaller support base that we weren't able to beat last game out.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My aspirations are for the Albion to be the best team in the world.
I fail to see how this will be achieved by belittling a club with a smaller support base that we weren't able to beat last game out.

The two points are not connected.

I can belittle Barnsley quite freely. I don't see them as having serious potential. The offer they have made demonstrates that they are not a serious outfit. It is certainly worthy of derision and laughter. In no way do I see Barnsley as serious long-term competitors to this club.

Looking at the catchment area and facilities on hand here in Brighton, and given the strong fan base we are starting to regenerate, our aspirations should be to take the next step and push forward as serious contenders for promotion and consolidation at a higher level. That's a true aspiration. Aspiring to be the best club in the world is different - that's a dream!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Greer is at very least a £1m rated player. An offer of sub-100k IS hilarious. Unquestionably. Like if we offered 250k for Zaha, they would be laughing their heads off, and rightfully so.
Harsh. I'd say 250k for Zaha was about right.

Oh my mistake, I thought you wrote 250m. Carry on.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Harsh. I'd say 250k for Zaha was about right.

Oh my mistake, I thought you wrote 250m. Carry on.

Rumour has it the reason greece are f***ed financially is the olympiakos chairman snuck into their national reserve and bet their entire currency on red, to be able to afford a bid for zaha. The roulette wheel is truly an unforgiving mistress.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

A million pound player? Are you sure? For me, GG has been average at best this season.the most over rated player at the Albion for a long time. Maybe his little punch up with CMS earlier has something to do with this.
I long for a centre half who can dominate at set pieces at either end. We've been bad enough defending them but when was the last time you felt our centre backs would score from a corner?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
A million pound player? Are you sure? For me, GG has been average at best this season.the most over rated player at the Albion for a long time. Maybe his little punch up with CMS earlier has something to do with this.
I long for a centre half who can dominate at set pieces at either end. We've been bad enough defending them but when was the last time you felt our centre backs would score from a corner?
However long t's been since home to Barnsley.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Oof. Can't agree with that. Also, using "goalscoring threat" as a barometer for rating a defender is like me saying I don't rate Will Buckley because he isn't a "gritty tackler".

Greer is my (and many other people's) Player of the Season. For me he has been more consistent than Bridcutt (slight dip towards end of season).

He is a SUPERB passer, reader of the game, good tackler, positionally near perfect (watch him, he anticipates things ahead of the rest of the defence quite often), very good at actually bringing the ball out of defence, his one weak point is probably aerial ability but luckily El Abd is an absolute MONSTER defensively in the air, Greer is Pique to El Abd's Puyol.

I would be GUTTED if we sold him for £1m (especially considering we rejected over that for Noone, our 3rd best winger). Gus said it would take an "unbelievable" offer to prise him away, so I'm guessing that's around £3m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here