Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley chasing Greer - bid rejected

Jan 12, 2012
Maybe the money's coming from the sale of Jacob Butterfield. He was on the verge of going to the premiership last season, befor injury cut short his season. They're probably trying to get players in first, before they sell Butterfield.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
From twitter a few minutes ago:

Rob Staton ‏[MENTION=13292]Rob[/MENTION]staton
Barnsley have also made an improved offer for Brighton's Gordon Greer and are awaiting a response. #barnsleyfc

What do we reckon? Gone up to 98k?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Barnsley have also made an improved offer for Brighton's Gordon Greer and are awaiting a response. #barnsleyfc

Needs to be AT LEAST 10 times the original offer for us to not laugh at it. Even then I would reject it immediately, I just wouldn't be laughing as much.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

They clearly want him. Odd one this - as we're not really looking to offload a centre back, and unless they have raised the offer considerably, then it seems a non-starter.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With the Dunk court case and El Abd possibly away at ACON, we definitely won't be looking to lose another defender, namely our captain and one of our best players.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I dont think they get the point even if they offered us 500k he wouldnt want to go, its not even a side way step its a drop.

We have no idea of his position. It's not always all about football. A player might be interested in a move for family reasons, or for money. That said, we've heard nothing from him that would suggest he's keen to leave.

Meanwhile, if Barnsley are still offering a sum which wouldn't prise away the captain of a fourth division club (are they up to six figures yet??), they can carry on embarrassing themselves as far as I'm concerned.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
We have no idea of his position. It's not always all about football. A player might be interested in a move for family reasons, or for money. That said, we've heard nothing from him that would suggest he's keen to leave.

Meanwhile, if Barnsley are still offering a sum which wouldn't prise away the captain of a fourth division club (are they up to six figures yet??), they can carry on embarrassing themselves as far as I'm concerned.

If he'd rather live in Barnsley than Brighton he should leave, as that would mean he's clearly mentally unstable

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Maybe he doesn't like staying with 1 club for too long? One full season at Swindon, 2 full seasons here. Barnsley wouldn't have improved their bid if they'd been told to do one after the first effort. I still think there is something in this.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
No way he's going anywhere unless Gus has a replacement lined up. Gus clearly stated he is not for sale though so strange they have come back with a second offer....be interesting to see what this offer is.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This has to be all about spin and PR from Barnsley.

I get negotiations, and starting with a lower offer than you're willing to pay, but there is no logical reason to offer less than a third of what a team paid for their captain, with whom there appears to be no problems with the club. He's made no noises about wanting out, he's playing regularly, he's playing well. The club seem to be in a stable position financially speaking. Such a bid, in such circumstances is doomed to fail, and not just b rejected, but laughed at.

It's as if they wanted it to be known they were trying to sign a player, like they had aspirations, but were foiled by unreasonable valuation by us. Then word got out how risible their offer was, and to save face they are making an improved bid (no doubt still lower than we paid for him, despite him now being worth more than that).

If I were a Barnsley fan, I'd be concerned about what this means for the club - are they unable to pay more, in which case you're probably looking at another season struggling with the players you have, and any that are cheap enough to bring in; or are they unwilling, in which case you've got owners who have little to no ambition for your club, and are happy to see the team struggle next season. Either way, I'd question the motives of the owners for such a transfer tactic.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If he'd rather live in Barnsley than Brighton he should leave, as that would mean he's clearly mentally unstable

Oh come off it, it's not like you'd have to live in Barnsley, is it? Not that many Albion players live in Brighton, and that's considerably more attractive. Yorkshire has some stunning places, and I'm sure it probably has some kind of footballer belt in the same way that Cheshire seems to accommodate the entire Manchester United, City and Liverpool squads and their dim-witted other halves.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
As the saying goes "Every player has a price". It's whether that price is realistically within Barnsleys reach, if it is and we accept then I guess there is more to this than meets the eye.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This whole situation smacks of a charade on Barnsley's part. They don't have a lot of money, and they're being accused of a lack of ambition by some of their supporters. So they put in a bid for a few players, Greer amongst them. The bid is for a ridiculously low amount, but as it's not disclosed, nobody is any the wiser. The club who the player is currently with rejects the bid out of hand. Barnsley's chairman then announces that he's been in the market for several players, clearly demonstrating his ambition, but that the bids were unfortunately unsuccessful.

It's all about appeasing the fans. I doubt they ever really expect to get Greer, but they can go back and mug off their season ticket holders with the suggestion that it was only the Albion's ludicrously high valuation of the player that stopped him from signing for them. I

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here