Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley chasing Greer - bid rejected

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This whole situation smacks of a charade on Barnsley's part. They don't have a lot of money, and they're being accused of a lack of ambition by some of their supporters. So they put in a bid for a few players, Greer amongst them. The bid is for a ridiculously low amount, but as it's not disclosed, nobody is any the wiser. The club who the player is currently with rejects the bid out of hand. Barnsley's chairman then announces that he's been in the market for several players, clearly demonstrating his ambition, but that the bids were unfortunately unsuccessful.

It's all about appeasing the fans. I doubt they ever really expect to get Greer, but they can go back and mug off their season ticket holders with the suggestion that it was only the Albion's ludicrously high valuation of the player that stopped him from signing for them. I

I get the feeling their chairman has been playing too much Football Manager.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
surely they would have to offer around 600-700k for us to even consider the offer...?? club captain.......solid as a rock , the only blott in his undies is his questionable temperament.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How does anybody know what the Barnsley bid was as it hasnt been publicized to the best of my knowledge the renewed one may be such that the club will consider it, who knows? Every player has a price even Messi.

Lush

Mods' Pet
It seems to me that, rather than Tony Bloom acting like a kindly indulgent father who tells his son he can have whatever toys he likes within reason, he's acting more like a dad who reminds his son that he has a limited size toy box and if he wants to get more toys and/or more expensive toys he has to get rid of some of the unwanted ones and sell some of the better ones at the car boot to put towards the ones he really wants.

So Gus might sell Greer (even though he's one of his favourites) given that he has Dunk, El-Abd, Hall, Elphick and Vincelot to play with.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
This whole situation smacks of a charade on Barnsley's part. They don't have a lot of money, and they're being accused of a lack of ambition by some of their supporters. So they put in a bid for a few players, Greer amongst them. The bid is for a ridiculously low amount, but as it's not disclosed, nobody is any the wiser. The club who the player is currently with rejects the bid out of hand. Barnsley's chairman then announces that he's been in the market for several players, clearly demonstrating his ambition, but that the bids were unfortunately unsuccessful.

It's all about appeasing the fans. I doubt they ever really expect to get Greer, but they can go back and mug off their season ticket holders with the suggestion that it was only the Albion's ludicrously high valuation of the player that stopped him from signing for them. I

This makes the most sense of the current situation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So Gus might sell Greer (even though he's one of his favourites) given that he has Dunk, El-Abd, Hall, Elphick and Vincelot to play with.

Of course that IS possible, although that list looks fairly sparse once you consider that Dunk's immediate future is uncertain, El-Abd might spend 6 weeks of the season in South Africa, Hall is out of contract and attracting the attention of Spurs, Elphick is yet to return from a year-long injury lay-off and is unproven at this level, and Vincelot is not a centre back....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No idea what the background is but this story seems to have legs. Someone is encouraging them to try and get Greer, I really don't go with the suggestion that Barnsley are trying to look good to their potential season ticket holders.

Gus, Greer or his agent must be giving Barnsley hope that they can swing this imo

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Of more interest in that article is the fact that Lower League Pompey have apparently offered a two year contract to a former Man City player (who logically will be on decent wages). They're still in administration, surely, and have little sign of that situation changing imminently, so how on earth are they even offering the cashiers in the club shop a new contract, let alone ex Premier League footballers?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Of more interest in that article is the fact that Lower League Pompey have apparently offered a two year contract to a former Man City player (who logically will be on decent wages). They're still in administration, surely, and have little sign of that situation changing imminently, so how on earth are they even offering the cashiers in the club shop a new contract, let alone ex Premier League footballers?

Unbelievable

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
See my comment on the Pompey thread re Etuhu's situation, all is not quite as it seemed. But it does look as though he'll be staying at Lower League Pompey.

In which case...if Barnsley can't even outbid Lower League (And Still In Administration...Again) Pompey for an out of contract player, then does that seriously suggest to you that they have enough notes floating around to fund a realistic bid for Gordon Greer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here