Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes: Couldnt score in a Brothel?

There is a world of difference between "missing a sitter" and "having a good opportunity saved by a great piece of goalkeeping/defending". If you want to have a proper discussion about he positives and negatives of Barnes, I would recommend you learn the difference, or else people will just dismiss your comments the way TCB's comments about goalkeepers, and The Hitman's comments about Murray are.

Wouldn't disagree with you. Having seen Barnes during the Oldham & Brentford game, coupled with the commentary on the radio today & feedback from Brian Horton & Gus - there is no doubt as to the one on one opportunities that Barnes has had in the last 3 games. That he has only scored one is not an acceptable return. Even Gus recognises the shortfall of our forwards - 'we haven't got a 25 goal forward' on tonights after match review. Sandaza is certainly not the answer either.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. Even Gus recognises the shortfall of our forwards - 'we haven't got a 25 goal forward' on tonights after match review. Sandaza is certainly not the answer either.

Without spending in excess of a million we're not gonna get one either. Let's not crucify Murray and a 20 year old new signing for not being that player.

We have to make do and at the moment it seems to be working OK

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
2 clear cut open goals from 6 yards, the sort of thing your 10 year old son would put away with ease and both have gone sailing over the bar? Anything the lickers would like to say? If we lose from here questions have to be asked.

Here's a question, why are you such a twat?

Your ten your old son would not have reacted to the first chance or stretched to reach the second with his head.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He may well have cost us 2 points by failing to score what sounded like sitters. Although he is getting in these positions in front of goal on a regular basis, so it just requires a bit of calmness and polish to finish with goals. It will come.

They weren't sitters.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
I think you've got to question the use of getting into good positions if you can't score from them. I like Barnes but he needs to become much more clinical. If Murray was missing all these chances he would be getting loads of stick.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'd suggest Sandaza with Muzza,

Back from the game and this is my pennyworth....

Why? Sandanza looked slow, immobile and unable to keep on his feet today. He missed a more straightforward chance than either of Barnes' late in the second half, and when LuaLua made two darts into the box and played the ball to the near post (too close to the keeper IMO) Sandanza was nowhere to be seen for either of them.

This witch hunt of Barnes is pathetic, he linked up well with Murray, chased everything, and made a couple of decent chances. Could he have done better with his two chances, probably yes, but both were rebounds off the keeper and he was first to the ball on both occasions, the first one he snatched at but the keeper was very close to him, and the second was a header that he did well to reach.

Why not give the kid a chance?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Back from the game and this is my pennyworth....

Why? Sandanza looked slow, immobile and unable to keep on his feet today. He missed a more straightforward chance than either of Barnes' late in the second half, and when LuaLua made two darts into the box and played the ball to the near post (too close to the keeper IMO) Sandanza was nowhere to be seen for either of them.

This witch hunt of Barnes is pathetic, he linked up well with Murray, chased everything, and made a couple of decent chances. Could he have done better with his two chances, probably yes, but both were rebounds off the keeper and he was first to the ball on both occasions, the first one he snatched at but the keeper was very close to him, and the second was a header that he did well to reach.

Why not give the kid a chance?

Listen to this bloke, he was actually there.
When was it decided that Brighton and Hove albion have to have forwards that score every chance & goalkeepers that save everything? And if they fail to do that, some internet geek has the right to personally abuse them on a public message board. As Spanish seagull says, support your team and your players. Its hard enough to believe when we are struggling, but top of the league?:facepalm:

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
Barnes will be judged on the number of goals he scores. If he scores 30 and misses 60, thn he has still got 30. He is getting in the right positions, scoring and fair play for that. It might be naive to say that someone else would have scored, because someone else migt not have been there. Good to see Murray scoring, if he has a good season then with Lua Lua at the club then who knows.. whilst palace will be closer to playing Crawley, the albion will hit the championship, on our way back to the top flight.

By the way BHA - Once Champions of England.. never forget Charlie Webb

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I still think Barnes has a hatful of goals in him .... he is getting into the positions to score so with a little more composure i'm sure they will soon be hitting tha back of the net ... he's only 20 ffs

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Goalscoring is instinctive, not something that comes with age or practice. Yes Barnes is young and yes he will get better, but he will never be a clinical finisher. Someone once said to me years ago that Clive Allen does f*** all in a spurs shirt and is lazy. He scored 49 goals in one season I belive. You dont need to run around like a headless chicken or get in the right position, time after time just to waste the chance. You either got it or you haven't.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What I find truly pathetic is that Murray scores a stupendous goal and there's f*** all to celebrate it on NSC, as instead the opportunity to give someone else a kicking takes precedence.

Some people need a reality check, we are a small provincial football club with very limited finances and can't even get a crowd of 7,000 when we are top of the league.

The budget that comes from that means that Gus has to look at free transfers, non-league hopefuls and gambles on other teams' reserve strikers (i.e Sandanza, Holroyd and Barnes), whereas the South Coast club can afford to spunk £1million on the likes of Lambert and pay him £9,000 a week.

Just because we have a new stadium on the horizone does not mean we have money to throw away on wages, fans would be the first to whine if they were expected to stump up £30 a match if the club claimed that it was necessary to cover higher wages, so why expect Tony Bloom to bankroll things further than he has already done so?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
2 clear cut open goals from 6 yards, the sort of thing your 10 year old son would put away with ease and both have gone sailing over the bar? Anything the lickers would like to say? If we lose from here questions have to be asked.

Lickers? You're not fit to lick my boots

Barnes is 20 and hasn't even played a full season yet.

Every minute he's on the pitch is an extra minute of experience from the lad. Every chance he misses he learns.

This kid is going places, and I hope it is with us. People like you just want to force him out

FFS Barnes will get a hatrick a some point this season - the 'chances' he hasn't bagged may not have existed if he wasn't on the field. He manages to find the space and be there which is far better than in previous seasons.

IMHO losing Barnes would be a bigger problem than Lu-Lu. Both are doing OK at the moment but only one of them looks like a 20 goals this season goalscorer with assists. Frank Sinatra doesn't show any sign of talent but I FAITH that Gus will dispatch him like a facial cumshot if he doesn't shape up.

Heres a groundbreaking idea - get of his back, back the team and shut the f*** up. The end of the season would be the time to comment on players who haven't met the standard (unless they are Nathan Elder!). Just look at the twats who said El-Abd wasn't a footballer (and I'm gulity of this too) and the turn around with a decent manager who manages to prise the best out of him.

NSC is detreriorating into a binfest for cockwads and toungers who wouldnt know their arse from their elbow. Its a real pity because the interest should be in SUPPORTING the Albion not trying to undermine the team who are led by a man far better qualified to comment on players abilities.

MODS - starting a thread on other posters/users is prohibited so why not ban anyone starting a thread on players? It would stop this sort of shit and possibly reduce the amount of repeated threads. I'm not saying people shouldn't have an opinion but discuss it in a general team thread rather a one man witchhunt.

Rant over - JUST GET ON AND SUPPPORT THE ALBION FFS!

HCQ

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
MODS - starting a thread on other posters/users is prohibited so why not ban anyone starting a thread on players? It would stop this sort of shit and possibly reduce the amount of repeated threads. I'm not saying people shouldn't have an opinion but discuss it in a general team thread rather a one man witchhunt.

Rant over - JUST GET ON AND SUPPPORT THE ALBION FFS!

HCQ

There are times I am tempted to do just that. There is a world of difference between criticism and spite, but that seems beyond the realm of a petty, vindictive minority.

There are times I am tempted to do just that. There is a world of difference between criticism and spite, but that seems beyond the realm of a petty, vindictive minority.

True, but where does it stop? Slagging off Elphick for missing his penalty in a victorious Champions League Euro Millions Draw Final against Inter? (Alright slightly exagerated!) It just gets on my hampton sometimes!

They say misery loves company and with NSC your guaranteed to find a friend!!

HCQ

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
Goalscoring is instinctive, not something that comes with age or practice. Yes Barnes is young and yes he will get better, but he will never be a clinical finisher. Someone once said to me years ago that Clive Allen does f*** all in a spurs shirt and is lazy. He scored 49 goals in one season I belive. You dont need to run around like a headless chicken or get in the right position, time after time just to waste the chance. You either got it or you haven't.

The same Clive Allen that scored 8 goals in 25 games at Palace when he was 20?

Whilst Finishing is indeed instinctive, it also improves with experience, confidence and of course.... Luck.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Commentary suggested Barnesy had 2 relatively easy chances to put us 3-0 up at half time. Perhaps in reality they were only half chances which didn't go in. Nobody on the match thread apart from me asked if Muzza's volley was an assist from Dunky which I think will look spectacular on the highlights.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Nobody on the match thread apart from me asked if Muzza's volley was an assist from Dunky which I think will look spectacular on the highlights.

I can't remember who had the assist, it was a kick out from Casper I vaguely recall, perhaps Barnes went for the header and it bounced kindly for Muzza, but as soon as it left his foot you could tell where it was heading!

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Is it Murray's first goal from outside the box for us? Or is my memory messing me about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here