Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes: Couldnt score in a Brothel?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
He may well have cost us 2 points by failing to score what sounded like sitters. Although he is getting in these positions in front of goal on a regular basis, so it just requires a bit of calmness and polish to finish with goals. It will come.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In the last 3 games, Barnes has missed two sitters today & scored nothing,
Missed at least two sitters against Brentford & didn't score & missed at least 4 sitters against Oldham and scored one goal.

So in the last 3 games he has had at least 9 clear one on one goal attempts & scored once.

That return is not good.

Admittedly he gets into scoring positions, however, if we have promotion aspirations then is Barnes our man for this league, let alone the Championship?

There is a world of difference between "missing a sitter" and "having a good opportunity saved by a great piece of goalkeeping/defending". If you want to have a proper discussion about he positives and negatives of Barnes, I would recommend you learn the difference, or else people will just dismiss your comments the way TCB's comments about goalkeepers, and The Hitman's comments about Murray are.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
And now Barnes has cost us points. Well done him.

Have a look at his overall record for us. Its is pretty good. Yes he should have scored a few more but I would be much more worried if he was not getting into good positions. Still when we are top of the league we still need something to moan about. Don't forget to come back on when he scores goals that ensures we get points we don't deserve because that will happen, but of course you will just ignore that because it doesn't fit into your arguement and fulfill your pathetic need to slag one of our players off.

To be honest ... my complaint about Barnes in his early games for the Albion was that he could get himself into goalscoring positions, but wasn't able to control the ball or turn properly. So he never got a shot in.

Now he's shooting and not scoring.

Progress, I think. We are top of the league and can probably afford to give the the boy time. If we were 19th, though, I say get rid.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Thats great as in Pele, Maradona, Puskas, Zidane is it?

That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever seen....he is ( at present ) an ordinary journeyman footballer in the lower divisions. He is not a clinical finisher, thats why we picked him up relatively easily and cheaply.
Gus must be hoping that he starts to convert a higher percentage of chances but we all know, in our heart of hearts, that if we had a Lee Barnard playing alongside Murray, we would be scoring more goals.
Barnes has youth on his side and should improve but I am not convinced that he is a 20+ a season man.
Both our strikers have 3 goals in 10 games, which would equate to 12-15 each this season. Those calling for a 25 goal man may be proved right.

Well done with stating the bleedin' obvious. Guess what if Rooney was playing for us he would have scored more goals then Barnes by now!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Against Oldham Barnes was on fire, their keeper was also unfortunately on fire so I think you can hardly class any of his non goal scoring attempts as misses because they were definately on target. No I was not at todays game but so f***ing what if he misses a few, if he could put away every chance that came his way he'd be playing for a premiership club not us. The lad is a f***ing good prospect & has scored some vital goals so lay off him, support your team & it's players or go watch Man Utd & come to the realisation that Rooney doesn't score with every attempt either.

This. :thumbsup:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Evidently, hence it won't be on the front pages.

Just a shame it's more like a chance or 8.

We have one striker getting in the positions (Barnes) and one striker scoring a few goals who wins the ball in the air and creates chances for us.

Unfortunately though our failure to get the 20 goal a season man may be what costs us promotion. Barnes isn't that, despite what some people seem to think.

Think you will find both Murray and Barnes have scored the same number of goals so far this season. Never let the facts get in the way of your warped view of things.

Halcyon

Who let the Doug out?
Jul 22, 2008
Teesside
While it is frustrating the number of chances he's missed he is still only 20, I hardly think we can be writing him off just yet :facepalm:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Think you will find both Murray and Barnes have scored the same number of goals so far this season. Never let the facts get in the way of your warped view of things.

Where did I say Glenn scores more goals?

Murray is more of an ALL ROUND player.

Barnes offers much less. He isn't as strong in the air or as good a passer as Murray.

Some people need to learn to read before rushing to slag me off. Goon.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
In the last 3 games, Barnes has missed two sitters today & scored nothing,
Missed at least two sitters against Brentford & didn't score & missed at least 4 sitters against Oldham and scored one goal.

So in the last 3 games he has had at least 9 clear one on one goal attempts & scored once.

That return is not good.

Admittedly he gets into scoring positions, however, if we have promotion aspirations then is Barnes our man for this league, let alone the Championship?

Blimey a new candidate for idiot of the season. He did not miss 2 sitters against Brentford, in fact he had two shots well saved by there keeper. Against Oldham the keeper again made two very good shots, and with the other he did everything right, hitting the ball low across the keeper only for it to come back out off of the inside of the post.

look at the overall record for us ot is quite good. Remember Forster used to go 5 or 6 games without a goal or even looking like he might get one.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Should have scored the first, second looked a bit high and getting the ball down was difficult.

To say he cost us points is harsh, think we struggled the clear the ball today and invited them on to us second half.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Where did I say Glenn scores more goals?

Murray is more of an ALL ROUND player.

Barnes offers much less. He isn't as strong in the air or as good a passer as Murray.

Some people need to learn to read before rushing to slag me off. Goon.

Goon, oh I am hurt. You need to look at Barnes all round game before you rush off another post.

We have one striker getting in the positions (Barnes) and one striker scoring a few goals who wins the ball in the air and creates chances for us.

That sounds to me as if you feel that Murray has scored more than Barnes, maybe I have not understood what you have said or maybe you are just wrong!

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
What rubbish.

Anyone criticizing Barnes is clearly an idiot.

he is 20 FFS! And our joint top scorer!

Lets say he had 20 easy chances a game, missed 19 of them and scored 1. He would finish the season on 46 goals but miss 874 'sitters'. Has he done well? or Bad?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Goon, oh I am hurt. You need to look at Barnes all round game before you rush off another post.

That sounds to me as if you feel that Murray has scored more than Barnes, maybe I have not understood what you have said or maybe you are just wrong!

You haven't understood at all, you've just jumped to conclusions.

Barnes - He's an ordinary finisher who doesn't offer much more other than "putting himself about" - don't get me wrong, there's a need for that, but it's hardly a quality to brag about.
Murray is also a bit of an ordinary finisher, but offers so much more to make up for that.

Neither are 20+ goal players though, sadly.

Pat_Albion

Nov 10, 2007
BN41
Against Oldham Barnes was on fire, their keeper was also unfortunately on fire so I think you can hardly class any of his non goal scoring attempts as misses because they were definately on target. No I was not at todays game but so f***ing what if he misses a few, if he could put away every chance that came his way he'd be playing for a premiership club not us. The lad is a f***ing good prospect & has scored some vital goals so lay off him, support your team & it's players or go watch Man Utd & come to the realisation that Rooney doesn't score with every attempt either.

Couldnt agree more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here