Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes: Couldnt score in a Brothel?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
He is 20 years old FFS not 27 and in his prime!

He is a decent young player and if he scores 15 this season I would be VERY happy.

Rather than slagging him off as some peice of garbage why don't all the slaggers just appreciate that we have signed a player with great potential?

If you wan't to moan why don't you all slag off Poyet and Bloom for not signing a 25 goal man. Oh that would look a bit stupid thow would'nt it because because we are top the league!

How many did Liniker score in his first 3 seasons? 7 in 37 games.

Not that I think Barnes is the new Liniker but just making the point not all Strikers score lots of goals at the begining of their careers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that most people on here will be basing their popinion on the fact thata respected ex player, captain and manager Brian Horton said that in the first instance he should have just pushed the ball into the net rather than blast it for glory and the 2nd he should have just let the ball hit his head and it would have gone in he had no need to try to direct it.

Whilst not wishing to slate Barnes I would be prepared to accept Nobby's version as one who knows what he knows what he is talking about.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
2 clear cut open goals from 6 yards, the sort of thing your 10 year old son would put away with ease and both have gone sailing over the bar? Anything the lickers would like to say? If we lose from here questions have to be asked.

How was Africa? ??? :angel:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think that most people on here will be basing their popinion on the fact thata respected ex player, captain and manager Brian Horton said that in the first instance he should have just pushed the ball into the net rather than blast it for glory and the 2nd he should have just let the ball hit his head and it would have gone in he had no need to try to direct it.

Whilst not wishing to slate Barnes I would be prepared to accept Nobby's version as one who knows what he knows what he is talking about.

It's allways easier to sit in the stand and say what a player should've done.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
There are times I am tempted to do just that. There is a world of difference between criticism and spite, but that seems beyond the realm of a petty, vindictive minority.

oh do f*** off, you just want to ban anyone daring to disagree with you.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Seriously do people really think he meant to be Lionel Messi?

He's a 20 year old who has the potential to be a good League 1/Championship player.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Do you not think that Nobby speaks with some knowledge as opposed to most of the posters on here.

Should he have done better?, Yes. Were they chances a 10 year old could have put away? No.

They came to him quickly and he snatched at the first and was at full stretch for the second so could not control the ball.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didnt go and listened to Nobby who said that both chanvces were much easier to score than miss and I respect his view rather than most on here. At the time he did say that he hoped that we wouldnt rue the 2 chances. As it happened we did and they proved the difference between 1 and 3 points.

He said that he didnt need to try to blast the first nor guide the 2nd in both cases if the ball had just hit him it would have gone in, perhaps a slight exageration

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Do you not think that Nobby speaks with some knowledge as opposed to most of the posters on here.

Of course he does but as with a lot of these ex pro co-commentators if it was as simple to do the things they criticise other players for then they would've reached a much higher standard than they did when they were playing.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's great isn't it, players taking a look on here from time to time, probably Ashley Barnes among them, seeing threads with titles such as this. Nice one Hurstpierpillock. Could you score in a brothel? Somehow I doubt it.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
What I find truly pathetic is that Murray scores a stupendous goal and there's f*** all to celebrate it on NSC, as instead the opportunity to give someone else a kicking takes precedence.

Some people need a reality check, we are a small provincial football club with very limited finances and can't even get a crowd of 7,000 when we are top of the league.

The budget that comes from that means that Gus has to look at free transfers, non-league hopefuls and gambles on other teams' reserve strikers (i.e Sandanza, Holroyd and Barnes), whereas the South Coast club can afford to spunk £1million on the likes of Lambert and pay him £9,000 a week.

Just because we have a new stadium on the horizone does not mean we have money to throw away on wages, fans would be the first to whine if they were expected to stump up £30 a match if the club claimed that it was necessary to cover higher wages, so why expect Tony Bloom to bankroll things further than he has already done so?

And that is just about the full picture. Barnes does bloody well for us & is ever improving & in his shoes I seriously doubt there are many other strikers in this league who would do much better let alone those people slagging the lad off. The chances he has "missed" have been largely on target & but for some great goalkeeping he would have had a hatfull, his luck will turn & he will get the goals then all the moaning will be aimed at someone else or at something else because this is NSC. Yes it is frustrating that they are not going in for him & I imagine he feels this more than anyone but he has instinct, stays on his feet & trains well so the goals will come if he just continues doing what he does. Lets celebrate the good & enjoy our current good fortune that has been brought to us by Gus & his team & get behind all of our players because we need them to continue improving & making us all happier people (well some of us anyway!)

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
God there is so much shit on this thread. First a bunch of idiots who aren't even at the game who slag off Barnes for missing chances they haven't seen. Then, even worse, the worthy brigade who come in with stuff about how Brighton aren't signing Rooney or Messi (as if the rest of us have never seen more clinical or quality forwards than Barnes playh for Brighton and the possibility of a top striker is unforeseeable). He is a good player who will hopefully get better in terms of scoring more goals.

Also, let's face it, the reason people are so negative has bugger all to do with his performance on the pitch and more to do with the fact that we signed him from Plymouth reserves. If he was an Arsenal upstart or a Brighton youth team product people would be praising him to high heaven. He's not a perfect player, neither does his youth or our position mean he is infallibile to criticism because we are not expecting Rooneys in every position. But seriously, what is wrong with everyone?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I didnt go and listened to Nobby who said that both chanvces were much easier to score than miss and I respect his view rather than most on here. At the time he did say that he hoped that we wouldnt rue the 2 chances. As it happened we did and they proved the difference between 1 and 3 points.

He said that he didnt need to try to blast the first nor guide the 2nd in both cases if the ball had just hit him it would have gone in, perhaps a slight exageration

I did go and Horton is too harsh.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was just 18 months ago that all this shite was being posted about '1 in 10 Glen'. Now it's the turn of Barnes.
Bennett has only scored one goal this season. When do we start on him?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Btw did anyone else see that Brill's save from Barnes' 'sitter' last week made it into the 'Saves of the week'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here