Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes: Couldnt score in a Brothel?

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
If Barnes was putting a higher percentage of his chances away then these threads would not surface. He is doing ok but he needs to get sharper in front of goal or our undoing will undoubtably be the fact that we will let too many points slip away because we are not clinical enough when on top, as was the case yesterday. All the time that happens debate will rage on here about our strikers and their shortcomings. But as I say Barnes is playing alright but I still think Poyet will ring the changes by bringing someone in at the next opportunity to partner Murray up front and give us a more dangerous front pairing, and because of our league position I genuinly believe Bloom will part with some real funds for Gus to do so if it means staying at the top of this division.
P`boro`s front 2 have 16 between them this season and Boyd (how no one from a bigger club have not fancied him is beyond me ) has also chipped in with 5.
Barnes is still very young and cost us next to nothing so he can carry on learning his trade but he will be very much under the microscope because of our good start this season.

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
Glad my first message is to tell you "SHUT UP YOU MUG"
if we were at the bottom slag off at will, but we are at the top you muppit get over yourself

to all the real fans hi i'm footski :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It is unfortunate Ashley didn't score yesterday, however for me has already proven what a good signing he is, and his unselfish running has created chances for Murray.

Just for the record I seem to recall Murray missing a few sitters this season as well. Rochdale home, Sheff Wed away.

All forwards miss chances, but at least they are getting in the right positions.

Neither are bad players and I remain confident we will continue to progress.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Chances on and off target

Craig Mackail-Smith Peterborough 6 (12/8)
Aaron Mclean Peterborough 6 (16/12)
Josh McQuoid Bournemouth 5 (7/5)
Will Hoskins Bristol Rovers 5 (17/7)
Gary Madine Carlisle 5 (13/7)
Romain Vincelot Dagenham & R 5 (8/11)
Craig Westcarr Notts County 5 (9/4)
Ben Davies Notts County 5 (22/14)
Michael Symes Bournemouth 4 (5/2)
Marc Pugh Bournemouth 4 (10/11)
Scott Wagstaff Charlton 4 (8/3)
Andy Bond Colchester 4 (7/5)
Ryan Harley Exeter City 4 (14/10)
Richard Logan Exeter City 4 (5/8)
Jordan Rhodes Huddersfield 4 (9/8)
Scott McGleish Leyton Orient 4 (12/8)
Bradley Wright-Phillips Plymouth 4 (11/6)
Gary Jones Rochdale 4 (12/8)
Richard Lambert Southampton 4 (13/16)
Ashley Barnes Brighton 3 (13/9)

Edit: Oh and why is someone a licker for not willing to abuse and chastise the young footballer for his relatively poor conversion rate (at the moment)?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Obviously I think that part of the problem is that, rightly or wrongly, a lot of fans thought that we had the capacity to sign a million pound striker this summer, which would obviously 'guarantee' 20+ goals this season.

Obviously when that didn't happen those same expectations were obviously placed on the shoulders of Barnes, an £80,000 signing from Plymouth reserves, who obviously isn't the finished article.

Obviously I think that part of the problem is that, rightly or wrongly, a lot of fans thought that we had the capacity to sign a million pound striker this summer, which would obviously 'guarantee' 20+ goals this season.

Obviously when that didn't happen those same expectations were obviously placed on the shoulders of Barnes, an £80,000 signing from Plymouth reserves, who obviously isn't the finished article.

obviously :vuvu:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I personally would have liked us to sign Scott McGleish, knows where the goal is in this division, and he would have been cheap too.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
2 clear cut open goals from 6 yards, the sort of thing your 10 year old son would put away with ease and both have gone sailing over the bar? Anything the lickers would like to say? If we lose from here questions have to be asked.

i was at the game.
i dont like to be negative towards players but this happened against oldham last saturday as well. if i remember rightly he missed quite a few easy chances, 5 i counted. i was at the game yesterday before any of you ask and they were again, two easy chances to put it lightly. If we want to be a club that gets promotion we need to have a striker who will score goals from that range, surely. we are relying on the midfield and murray and as much as i like barnes i am increasingly losing faith. also, i bet half the people that have commented on this saying 'shut up' or whatever weren't actually at the game yesterday.

i will say again, i dont like to be negative but this is becoming an increasingly annoying habbit.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
i was at the game.
i dont like to be negative towards players but this happened against oldham last saturday as well. if i remember rightly he missed quite a few easy chances, 5 i counted. i was at the game yesterday before any of you ask and they were again, two easy chances to put it lightly. If we want to be a club that gets promotion we need to have a striker who will score goals from that range, surely. we are relying on the midfield and murray and as much as i like barnes i am increasingly losing faith. also, i bet half the people that have commented on this saying 'shut up' or whatever weren't actually at the game yesterday.

i will say again, i dont like to be negative but this is becoming an increasingly annoying habbit.

Thats all very well but were you at the game?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That header did not look like an easy chance to me, it looked as if it came quite quickly and he couldn't adjust quickly enough to do anything except just connect with it, but carry on slagging Barnes off if you know better :shrug:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton

The irony on OBVIOUSLY is not lost! :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
i was at the game yesterday before any of you ask and they were again, two easy chances to put it lightly.

We'll never agree but think you are in a minority on this from those who attended yesterday in terms of being easy chances.

As for the 20 a season striker, I would rather have Ricky Lambert than Barnes, as I suspect would most people BUT.......

Lambert: Cost £1million, VAT £175,000, Wages £9,000 a week plus NI and pension cost. Total cost over his three year contract £2,887,800 BEFORE any bonuses

Barnes: Cost £80,000, wages £1,750 a week plus NI/pension etc. Total cost over his two year contract £262,000, or to put in another way, less than one tenth of the cost of employing Lambert.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
FFS. Okay I wasn't at the game, but watching on iplayer, the header that Barnes put over the bar WAS NOT AN EASY CHANCE. Good f***ing grief, some people are never frigging happy are they.

In case anyone hadn't noticed, we are TOP OF THE LEAGUE, 2 POINTS CLEAR.

BE HAPPY

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
We'll never agree but think you are in a minority on this from those who attended yesterday in terms of being easy chances.

As for the 20 a season striker, I would rather have Ricky Lambert than Barnes, as I suspect would most people BUT.......

Lambert: Cost £1million, VAT £175,000, Wages £9,000 a week plus NI and pension cost. Total cost over his three year contract £2,887,800 BEFORE any bonuses

Barnes: Cost £80,000, wages £1,750 a week plus NI/pension etc. Total cost over his two year contract £262,000, or to put in another way, less than one tenth of the cost of employing Lambert.
Exactly, hes a work in progress...
I thought he missed one easy chances yesterday, and I was more concerned because it looked like it might be getting to him. The misses from Oldham game were largely down to great goalkeeping and some bad luck with the one that hit the post. Against brentford he tried to hard - I felt.
The thing is he has the ability to be in right place at right time, I think theres real hope so long as hes brave and his confidence gets better, which happens with goals and getting the breaks..
What he doesnt need as a young lad is the crowd on his back.
Likening him to Craig Davies is idiotic, CD didnt have the knack of being in right place and he didnt hit target at all, during his barren spell....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here