Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes: Couldnt score in a Brothel?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Having just seen the header on iplayer it was no sitter as 4 the other 1 i can not comment as i aint seen it!

I thought the first one was easier, but again he had no time to compose himself. He did put in in row Z from very close.

It might be on the longer version on the iPlayer tomorrow.

Holloway Seagull

Nov 1, 2009
Gus has now said it publicly. In his post match interview he said it felt like a defeat because of the number of chances that were squandered - and Barnes was the biggest culprit. Again. Could we be seeing why he wasn't playing regularly at Plymouth? Credit to him for getting in positions to score but he's got to put more of these gilt-edged chances away.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
How Horton can say both were easier to score than miss baffles me, sure the first he rushed and really should have done better, but that's what you get when you have a young 20 year old in your side.

The second to me, all be it from the other end of the pitch looked like it was slightly too high for Barnes and he couldn't quite reach it to control the header.

Not worried about Barnes to be honest, Sandaza seems to be the weak link at the moment for me

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus has now said it publicly. In his post match interview he said it felt like a defeat because of the number of chances that were squandered - and Barnes was the biggest culprit. Again. Could we be seeing why he wasn't playing regularly at Plymouth? Credit to him for getting in positions to score but he's got to put more of these gilt-edged chances away.
I've read it three times and cannot see where he says Barnes was the biggest culprit. Am I missing something?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barnes gets into a terrific number of scoring positions and converts a fair few. I'll settle for that for now. He's a young lad and can only get better.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just saw the missed header, it looks like he was beaten by a high bounce. A frustrating miss but not the sitter that some are claiming it to be.

It seems to me that Barnes is a busy player who causes defences a lot of trouble and will only get better. I am at a loss to understand why some of our fans want to continually get on his back whilst he is still learning his trade.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Of course it would be good (perhaps it will even prove to have been essential) that he converts more off the chances, but my god I'm impressed with him. Short of having one of those much vaunted, proven, 20+ goal a season types, I can't think of a player I'd rather have up front. He'll score 20 this year.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Having just seen the header on iplayer it was no sitter as 4 the other 1 i can not comment as i aint seen it!

Same as. Just watched it and yes, it was a chance, but a difficult one. If anyone knows a 10 year old that could put those away with ease can I suggest we sign him up pdq.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Same as. Just watched it and yes, it was a chance, but a difficult one. If anyone knows a 10 year old that could put those away with ease can I suggest we sign him up pdq.

I think some guy from Hurstpierpoint does - maybe he's the 10-y-o?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Must admit, having watched the FL show it wasnt as Nobby said a case of it hitting his head and going in but think he should have done better. I wonder if we will be asking in 2 months time about trying to sign a 20 goal a season hit man in January.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wonder if we will be asking in 2 months time about trying to sign a 20 goal a season hit man in January.

But surely every club in L1 is trying to do the same?

Last year only six players managed 20 goals in L1, Lambert, Morrison, Paynter, Beckford, Holt and Barnard.

Of those six, one in now playing in the Prem, three in the Championship, and two for the south coast club who have over double our crowds, a decent stadium and have the ability to pay £1 million for a player.....we don't!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Basically I'd say we are lucky to have Barnes, age 20, 3 goals so far and numerous chances missed, he can only improve and finishing and calmness in front of goal will come with experience and game time. He will come good and in the meantime he will score at least 15 this season. I'd put my own money on it. (As long as he is starting games)

Of course he does but as with a lot of these ex pro co-commentators if it was as simple to do the things they criticise other players for then they would've reached a much higher standard than they did when they were playing.

Except in this instance Nobby Horton isn't one of those ex-pro commentators who didn't reach the highest standard in professional football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here