Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes: Couldnt score in a Brothel?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So f***ing what, don't you know the rule on NSC..........

When Barnes misses he is slaughtered, when Murray misses he is unlucky
I think the difference is, Murray is more of a provider. He wins nearly all the ball in the air, whereas Barnes is beaten nearly everytime. If Murray had a goalscorer up with him, we'd be lethal. Whereas if Barnes had a goalscorer up there with him, we'd struggle, because at the moment, Barnes isn't a provider, and definately not a goalscorer.

He'll come good, its just fair too early for him at the moment

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Good old barn door Barnesy!

What I do not get, is we hounded the f*** out of Craig Davies for missing easy chances, but now with Barnes who is no better, we all get behind him and attack anyone who questions him, from one extreme to the other.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He missed one chance too many for me today. It's a shame, he's a little inexperienced but I'm sure he'll make it good one day. Hopefully with us! He's the best we've got at the moment I'm afraid. He isn't good enough right now though and if we want to seriously challenge we need a better striker than Barnes is at the moment IMO.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Erm, having watched the game today on the telly ( sadly i cannot afford to go to all matches) I fail to recall the hatful of chances he missed. There was one good chance in the second half he chose to try to bring down when he perhaps should have tried to head it, but that was partly about good defending. Beyond that I dont really recall that many chances for anyone.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
FFS, give it a rest. We'd all love TB to splash the cash & get in a goal machine - but until that happens, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed & hope that one of our strikers starts sticking more of the chances away. I really think some people glory in slagging off our players. Bag o' shite. :annoyed:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Erm, having watched the game today on the telly ( sadly i cannot afford to go to all matches) I fail to recall the hatful of chances he missed. There was one good chance in the second half he chose to try to bring down when he perhaps should have tried to head it, but that was partly about good defending. Beyond that I dont really recall that many chances for anyone.

Quite right, I would love to know what these nailed on chances were.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Struggled again a little today. I imagine if Murray, when shooting at the near post, had laid him up with a near open goal and he would have slotted it simply away, then this sort of partial abuse wouldn't be happening. Still, he has to pick up his game and really attack. Getting into position is only good enough for so long.
I think he has it in him. He did at the end of last season, so it shouldn't be too difficult to refind that efficacy.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
FFS, give it a rest. We'd all love TB to splash the cash & get in a goal machine - but until that happens, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed & hope that one of our strikers starts sticking more of the chances away. I really think some people glory in slagging off our players. Bag o' shite. :annoyed:

Well said. People seem to think Gus has millions to spend and has chosen not to splash it all on a "proven goalscorer". When the reality is we don't have a massive transfer budget and therefore will have to make do with what we have. Slagging off the players isn't going to help anything. I think HUST just loves a having a good ol' moan at Barnes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Murray is making the chances for Barnes plus he makes a lot for himself but he is not taking them. I wonder how long Gus will perservere with him. His failure in the last few games could cost us automatic promotion and prove more costly than signing a goal poacher would.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
He missed one chance too many for me today. It's a shame, he's a little inexperienced but I'm sure he'll make it good one day. Hopefully with us! He's the best we've got at the moment I'm afraid. He isn't good enough right now though and if we want to seriously challenge we need a better striker than Barnes is at the moment IMO.

what do you know? been playing football manager too much

Barnes & Murray have scored 3 league goals each in 11 league games.
Pro rato over a season equates to 13 goals each.
Not good enough for a club with high aspirations.
Our defence is very good but if we only score one goal like today & against Tranmere are always prone to concede.

Bloom give Gus a million to find a decent finisher.
The extra bums on seats at Falmer will pay for the investment.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm still willing to give Barnes a huge benefit of doubt at the moment. It's just his finishing he needs to sort out, he gets himself in very good positions.

I rather have that, than the numerous run around headless chickens we've had over the years.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I'm still willing to give Barnes a huge benefit of doubt at the moment. It's just his finishing he needs to sort out, he gets himself in very good positions.

I rather have that, than the numerous run around headless chickens we've had over the years.

:thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I think that's the difference. Other people in other threads have spoken about what the majority of people are saying about Barnes being completely contradictory to what the majority were saying about Davies and Holroyd, but the difference is that Barnes is getting himself into the positions and he is actually showing an instinct that, in my opinion, the others haven't showed. If we still had Nicky Forster alongside Murray, then we might already have a striker in double figures. But we don't, we have a young man learning his trade and working hard for the team. If he stops getting shots off, and stops putting himself in the positions to score, it won't take long for Poyet to remove him from the team.

That said, if Poyet can find a striker who is going to score double the goals Barnes does, and he can get him in, then I hope he does because the only thing stopping us running away with the title at the moment is our lack of goals.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Today, Barnes only really had one shot, which was from quite a way out and just missed. The other "clear-cut" chances he had came from him having to do a lot of work to get the ball under control, or failing to, such as the ball over the top in the second half, which unfortunately hit the top of his shinpad and to the keeper.

He gets in these positions, and it seems at the moment luck is not on his side. When he gets his shots off he is a right danger. E.g - Brentford - in the first half, he had a cracking shot which was neatly tipped over, and in the second half was only denied a clear goal from fantastic defending.
Oldham - Denied a hat-trick or more by brilliant goalkeeping from Brill and the bloody post.
Today - incredibly unlucky, but as in every game he plays, he gives 100%, and fits in very well with how we are trying to play under Gus, in that he distributes well, and as he proved today, can tackle the opposition, which led to a few counter attacks.

What I am trying to say is that people need to look at the role Barnes plays in the team, and he is important. He holds the ball up, he distributes, he can score, as proven with his three goals this season, including that great goal against MK Dons, and very good header against Oldham. His positional sense is great, like with the Oldham game, the goal against Plymouth and how he is constantly getting into these positions to score.

Unfortunately it is not going 100% his way, and when it finally does click with Ashley, he will slot them away left right and centre, so shut up your whinging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here