Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes: Couldnt score in a Brothel?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Given the ratio of goals to games this season he is on to get 15 this season (obviously not guarateed).

But for a 20 year old this would be good.

His all round play in the box IMHO is good and I thin he also shows a good understanding of the game.

Murray is probably playing at the highest level he can, I don't see him as a championship player IMHO.

The argument about having a prolific striker is not linked to Barnes and should not be used to bash him the two are not linked.

Has Murray ever scrored 20-25 at this level? His all round game this season is a massive improvement but he certainly is nothing special either just a good league one player.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I like Ashley Barnes. He is a developing player who found scoring easy at the end of last season. He works incredibly hard and is highly rated by Gus Poyet who is an inspirational manager and coach. Was he offside yesterday when he put the ball in the net?

My point is that the Albion don't actually create that many chances considering their dominance. Obviously we created more than Bmuff yesterday but they weren't interested in anything but stopping us and conning the ref and the assistant clowns.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He isn't going to score every single chance that is presented to him, easy or not, i'd like to see all of you do better than he is at the moment

That old chestnut. That is one of the most stupid comments people make. Of course we could not do better but then we are not paid a very good wage to play football are we? We do however contribute towards the players wages and the running of the club. So people are entitled to their opion, rightly or wrongly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like Ashley Barnes. He is a developing player who found scoring easy at the end of last season. He works incredibly hard and is highly rated by Gus Poyet who is an inspirational manager and coach. Was he offside yesterday when he put the ball in the net?

My point is that the Albion don't actually create that many chances considering their dominance. Obviously we created more than Bmuff yesterday but they weren't interested in anything but stopping us and conning the ref and the assistant clowns.

I agree with this. Let's not forget he is only 20 and still learning his trade. He needs to learn to be a little bit more composed in front of goal, and have a bit more luck, then he will turn more of his chances into goals.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone else find it odd that we dismiss players faults due to their age/experience, expect faults, even, because this is the third division and if they were any didn't have faults they'd be working the premier league, but we never take that attitude with refs?

We never accept that, as for footballers, the third division is a step on the career ladder for refs, some will have "found their level", some won't quite measure up to the demands of this level and drop back down, some need to be given a chance to get a bit of experience before they shine at this level, and the ones that are any good, move on up to the championship and premier league.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Does anyone else find it odd that we dismiss players faults due to their age/experience, expect faults, even, because this is the third division and if they were any didn't have faults they'd be working the premier league, but we never take that attitude with refs?

We never accept that, as for footballers, the third division is a step on the career ladder for refs, some will have "found their level", some won't quite measure up to the demands of this level and drop back down, some need to be given a chance to get a bit of experience before they shine at this level, and the ones that are any good, move on up to the championship and premier league.

Oh come off it!
I've watched football for a long time and the standard of refereeing and linesmanship has declined seriously. Yes the game has become faster but the guidelines have also become clearer. The incompetence of the officials yesterday and for the home game against Rochdale was staggering. They should not be officiating above the Ryman Premier. But that's the point - the whole organisation behind developing refs is simply not up to it. The FA are naturally in denial about the problem.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Because it was a pointless question. If I am given a Ferrari and take it for a spin round the track 20 times and only get to the finish line 4 times it doesn't mean I'm a great driver.

Two things which are not comparable.. Nice smear as usual but again failing to address the issue. I'll ask you again in a different way.How many of his goals are down to luck do you think?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Oh come off it!
I've watched football for a long time and the standard of refereeing and linesmanship has declined seriously. Yes the game has become faster but the guidelines have also become clearer. The incompetence of the officials yesterday and for the home game against Rochdale was staggering. They should not be officiating above the Ryman Premier. But that's the point - the whole organisation behind developing refs is simply not up to it. The FA are naturally in denial about the problem.

Because no one wants to do the job any more, all they get is abuse and being told they are doing there job wrong by the media and ex pro's.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oh come off it!

I believe the decline in refereeing standards is probably 90-95% perception/shift in societal attitudes towards authority, but even if I'm wrong, this supposed decline isn't exclusive to division 3. It is across the board, and so it still holds true that if the referees at our level were perceived to be any good, they would be bumped up the league and be working the championship/premier league.

Being third divisions means we have division 3 players who make mistakes. We also have division 3 referees who make mistakes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I believe the decline in refereeing standards is probably 90-95% perception/shift in societal attitudes towards authority, but even if I'm wrong, this supposed decline isn't exclusive to division 3. It is across the board, and so it still holds true that if the referees at our level were perceived to be any good, they would be bumped up the league and be working the championship/premier league.

Being third divisions means we have division 3 players who make mistakes. We also have division 3 referees who make mistakes.

Possibly. But, rules and directives have changed significantly over the past few decades, making it much more difficult for refs. 20-30 years ago the game and players were allowed a level of contact and only obvious fouls were given. Nowadays the terms foul and contact are the same, and players now openly admit they go down if there is contact.

This does not excuse the penalty decision though. That was just rank incompetence.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
saupload_pie_01.jpg

Get it while its hot!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
7 in 14 now (I think) for Barnes. Good by anyone's standard. He has a good "all round" game as well. He does lots of other great stuff aside from getting into good positions and scoring.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Npower League One Top Scorers

Team

TOT
Wright-Phillips Plymouth 10
Mackail-Smith Peterborough 8
Barnes Brighton 7
Madine Carlisle 7
Pilkington Huddersfield 7
Westcarr Notts County 7