Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes: Couldnt score in a Brothel?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I note that the only goal that Wayne Rooney has scored in the last 7 months came from a penalty, does that make him shit too?

Although at least we know he CAN score in a brothel.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Today, Barnes only really had one shot, which was from quite a way out and just missed. The other "clear-cut" chances he had came from him having to do a lot of work to get the ball under control, or failing to, such as the ball over the top in the second half, which unfortunately hit the top of his shinpad and to the keeper.

A Clinical striker would have taken that chance with his eyes shut, The Barnards, Lamberts and the Mackail-Smith's of this league take it and it would have been 2-0 and game over.

They are the type of chances that need to be taken to go up, Its not Barnes fault he isnt good enough to take them and be in the side but I feel not signing a striker will be a costly mistake.

Clearly its not all down to him but the miss yesterday and the two last weeks has cost Brighton four points which could of been very handy with the up coming games.

For me he is just a younger Gary Hart, good player to have around and will give 100%.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Basically the highly technical point it all comes down to is that Barnes is wank. I had his card marked from day one. A few shinned efforts and fumbles from the keeper does not a player make. It's a shame, because a proper striker in his place and there wouldn't even be any point in the rest of this league even TRYING to compete with us.

Ahhhh, the resident footballing font of all knowledge graces us with his presence. I take it the Barnes 'marked card' is clutched closely to your moob along with that of our clueless manager...

:tosser:

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
A Clinical striker would have taken that chance with his eyes shut, The Barnards, Lamberts and the Mackail-Smith's of this league take it and it would have been 2-0 and game over.

They are the type of chances that need to be taken to go up, Its not Barnes fault he isnt good enough to take them and be in the side but I feel not signing a striker will be a costly mistake.

Clearly its not all down to him but the miss yesterday and the two last weeks has cost Brighton four points which could of been very handy with the up coming games.

For me he is just a younger Gary Hart, good player to have around and will give 100%.

You notice how you mention two Saints players? I think the gulf in funds means we cannot afford to splash out on a great striker like Lambert. I think Ashley is a top signing, who gives his all, can finish and is only very young, meaning he can only get better.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's hard to argue with the point that a more experienced and clinical striker would have taken some of the chances Barnes has failed to convert. But it's just as evident that Barnes is an incredible prospect who gets himself into great positions. It's also clear to anyone who is trying to be balanced that he has not had much luck.

Maybe Gus should have signed a more experienced striker in the Summer, who knows why we weren't able - but it seems we couldn't compete with some other clubs. So be it. Who knows what might happen in January, but Ashley is what we have for now - he's young, he's talented, he's ours and he need support.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Barnes & Murray have scored 3 league goals each in 11 league games.
Pro rato over a season equates to 13 goals each.
Not good enough for a club with high aspirations.
Our defence is very good but if we only score one goal like today & against Tranmere are always prone to concede.

Bloom give Gus a million to find a decent finisher.
The extra bums on seats at Falmer will pay for the investment.

I think the difference is, Murray is more of a provider. He wins nearly all the ball in the air, whereas Barnes is beaten nearly everytime. If Murray had a goalscorer up with him, we'd be lethal. Whereas if Barnes had a goalscorer up there with him, we'd struggle, because at the moment, Barnes isn't a provider, and definately not a goalscorer.

He'll come good, its just fair too early for him at the moment

Think these are the two most accurate posts here.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Im glad I dont have Barnes so called "luck" according to some,sorry most, on here. Its one thing to back your players, as we all should. Its something else to ignore the obvious. Barnes is clearly not up to this level, he needs half a second more than he gets. Both Robinson and Holroyd are proving this at their clubs at the moment. Unfortunatly for us, he is the best we have got after Murray at the moment, but I cant see that remaining the case for long. Intersting that Sandaza was not on the bench yesterday, clearly a panic buy to make up the numbers.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Murray is making the chances for Barnes plus he makes a lot for himself but he is not taking them. I wonder how long Gus will perservere with him. His failure in the last few games could cost us automatic promotion and prove more costly than signing a goal poacher would.

What utter nonsense!

So one player will be at fault if we don't go up?

How about the misses Murray has had this season? 2 yesterday, clean through vs Rochdale and Sheff Wed (set up by Barnes). I wouldn't classify any of our forward as prolific goalscorers.

Personally I would like us to go after Lee Barnard in January (sub again yesterday for Southampton). Don't know if we could afford him, the fee or whether Southampton would sell.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You notice how you mention two Saints players? I think the gulf in funds means we cannot afford to splash out on a great striker like Lambert. I think Ashley is a top signing, who gives his all, can finish and is only very young, meaning he can only get better.

I could mention a few more at less rich clubs, anyway promotion cost money... I guess it depends how much Tony wants it.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Adam-Le-Fondre-Rotherham_2459924.jpg

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I saw most of his eight games for us last season, so clearly that's more than "one look". You can just tell he doesn't have what it takes. The one and only thing you can say in his defence is he does get into the right position a lot of the time. However, his finishing is so poor and his thinking so slow it becomes an irrelevance.

You posted you had his card marked from day one ............. just give the players a chance to prove themselves

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Would be a gamble and thats why no one has taken a punt on him. Theres a world of difference between scoreing in div2 than div1. As Robinson, Holroyd and many before them have proved. Im not saying he wouldn't score goals at this level, im saying £1m+ represents to big a gamble, on a largely unproven striker. Clubs will wait for Rotherham to come up and see what he does then, before he goes for that sort of money.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I saw most of his eight games for us last season, so clearly that's more than "one look". You can just tell he doesn't have what it takes. The one and only thing you can say in his defence is he does get into the right position a lot of the time. However, his finishing is so poor and his thinking so slow it becomes an irrelevance.

So how many of his 4 goals were down to poor finishing and slow thinking?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here