Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Beta Band

Yep. The 3 EP stuff is sublime

The incredible...
P W E I

No, no, no, no, no.

The Wedding Present

Yes, yes, yes. Cinerama (I think or something like that as Gedge's spin-off band were pretty good too) I heard a rumour that Dave Gedge lives down here now.

Seconded

And the Durutti Column

Its Grim Oop North but they helped.......

Yep and been mentioned by me too earlier.

And a bit of a one hit wonder but I liked them...Danny Wilson. Propaganda should have been mega too.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Big country and Runrig

Was going to say Big Country but thought some would say they were successful... should ahve been MASSIVE!

oh and Propaganda...... one song just drove me wild

'The first cut won't hurt at all
The second only makes you wonder
The third will have you on your knees'

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
wrt pwei
No, no, no, no, no.
f*** off LEE, I'm not having that. They were TOP f***ing DRAWER. I must have seen pwei about five times back in the day. Superb band.

Propaganda should have been mega too.

oh and Propaganda...... one song just drove me wild

'The first cut won't hurt at all
The second only makes you wonder
The third will have you on your knees'
Propoganda :bowdown:

This was discussed just before Christmas here.

For me, Propoganda's stuff remains remarkably undated. And Sully, that song is the legendary "Duel", and it remains an absolute GENIUS choon to this day.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Frazier Chorus

Blimey, I remember them. Dream Kitchen was great and I've also got their album 'Sue'.

I think the Electric Soft Parade had potential for greater things.

Also Athlete. I thought more people would have gone and discovered their first and IMHO greatest album by far, 'Vehicles And Animals' after the success of the single 'Wires'.

Another one is Gomez whose first album 'Bring It On' is fantastic but sadly none of their later offerings lived up to it and every album since seems to have been worse than the last. I've heard mention that there's a phrase 'Doing A Gomez' where an artist produces a fantastic first album that they have no chance of every bettering.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Frazier Chorus

joe_frazier.jpg

???

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My fav band Squeeze deserved more success than they did. Strange as it may seem most of their singles didn't get into the top 40, hence their greatest hits being called 45's and under. How Goodbye girl only got to number 63 and tempted to number 41 beats me.

In parts of the States they were huge live wise, i.e selling out Madison Square Garden yet their only hits there were Hourglass.

Perhaps being on the same record label and sharing the same manager as the Police had something to do with it.

Share sentiments about XTC as well
100% agree , seen them live a couple of times.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yes, I agree with the posts naming Half Man Half Biscuit - they get better with every album. The latest, 'CSI Ambleside', is genius ('Bad Losers on Yahoo Chess !), They apparently turned down an invitation to appear on
1980's early Friday evening music programme 'The Tube' on the grounds that they would miss the Friday evening home game of their beloved Tranmere Rovers. Bless 'em.

Also, three more bands occur to me:

Magazine
The Comsat Angels
B-Movie (had a brilliant early 1980s song called 'Nowhere Girl')

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
I always thought the Thrashing Doves deserved more recognition than they got...Nick Heyward (of Haircut 100) has made some cracking solo albums....Lloyd Cole still churns out masterpieces.....The Lotus Eaters anyone?!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
these 80s band lead singers are well worth checking out. I was always partial to Aztec Camera and their song Oblivious is a perfect pop song. I saw Roddy Frame in concert later. Very good

Edwyn Collins is worth a listen and I also saw Doctor Robert play with Mick Talbot in the Greys pub of all places. Really blew me away. Agree about Nick Heyward's solo stuff being very good. As is Midge Ure

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
these 80s band lead singers are well worth checking out. I was always partial to Aztec Camera and their song Oblivious is a perfect pop song. I saw Roddy Frame in concert later. Very good

Edwyn Collins is worth a listen and I also saw Doctor Robert play with Mick Talbot in the Greys pub of all places. Really blew me away. Agree about Nick Heyward's solo stuff being very good. As is Midge Ure

Check out David Sylvian too... absolutely fantastic solo stuff...

thought a lot of Fish's (ex-Marillion) stuff was good too but started going downhill a bit after 1997.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here