NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Beta Band

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dont really like or get them but a lot of people suggest British Sea Power deserve bigger things.

The loyalty and fervour of the small band of fans they do have suggests they should be bigger?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
long tall texans
the men they couldn't hang
the 3 johns
half man half biscuit

the men they couldn't hang

Superb band - always destined to never make it big! Saw them last year at the 100 club in London, they still do the occasional one off gigs.

Saw them at the Reading festival back in the late 80's, as they came on stage the heavens opened and about 90% of the audiance went to the bar/back to find a tent!

They released a sond called "Rosettes" about football fans following a club abroad and fighting for the pride of the Union Jack, but the week it was released the Hilsborough disaster happened and the single was withdrawn from sale!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poco, better than the Eagles who poached the style and two band members.

New Model ARmy
Stiff Little Fingers - easily the best of the second generation punk bands

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was listening to XTC this morning on the train. It struck me just how good they really were. I think the lead singer suffered from chronic stage fright which hampered them but they should have been huge.

The thing that really did for XTC was that NME labelled them with the tag 'too clever-clever' and they never really shook it off. The only time I recall NME giving them a decent review (and a double-page glowing feature) was when the record company set up a small tour of south East Asia for them, then jetted out the journalists all-expenses paid to cover the tour. That seemed to do the trick :lol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
beat me to it. any chance or another tour do you think?

No chance. I've emailed Mark Burgess hoping they would do a one off as the 25th anniversary remastered version of Script of the Bridge came out last year. He and Dave Fielding have not spoken for some time after Dave took too many drugs and f***ed up on tour, Reg has sold his guitar, and John Lever is now in Bushart.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Cooper Temple Clause

The Listening

Mutemath

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I dont really like or get them but a lot of people suggest British Sea Power deserve bigger things.

The loyalty and fervour of the small band of fans they do have suggests they should be bigger?

Saw them at Latitude this year, big disappointment after tonnes of gushing praise from friends. Looked and sounded awkward, some almost tunes but just not quite there for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw them at Latitude this year, big disappointment after tonnes of gushing praise from friends. Looked and sounded awkward, some almost tunes but just not quite there for me.

It's puzzling isnt it? I have a number of friends who worship this band, and they have other fans who are crazy for them. I just cant see it myself.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
saw a couple of beta band mentions so leading on from that is the aliens.

They should be massive. They are absolutely cracking, and live they are splendidly splendid. in fact everyone in the world should go and see them.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
Mower and the wonderful Alfie. :bowdown:

As far as The Rifles go I would say it is a bit early to talk about success they should have had. I saw them when they first started infront of about 40 people. Last time I saw them was at a packed decent sized venue. A tour support slot with Weller as well just last year. Success is coming...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here