Lancing
The Michael Schenker Group.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A FINE German exponant of heavy metal.

Bonfire.

The Kinks

For one of the greatest bands ever, very few people actually know who Ray Davies or Dave Davies is.

Being banned from playing in America during the golden years of the British Explosion meant they missed out on a much larger exposure to people than other lesser bands did at the time.

You mean very few Americans know ....

They were the 4th most successful chart band in the UK I think, behind Beatles Stones and Hollies.

The Drivers - Nick van eade
Went on to form The Cutting Crew
now in a band called The Grinning Souls

Did quite a lot of touring in last couple of years.

Recently "Tears on Your Anorak" by The Drivers has been posted on you-tube, although the video doesn't match the track!

Cutting Crew
This seems to be the official site listed

Hope this is helpful to you.
Loved The Drivers, went to see seem loads in Nutley with my boyfriend, Nik Batchelor who knew Nick van Eade.

Scary to think that the Drivers last gig was 23rd December 1983! (or possibly '84) at the Cartoon in Croydon - I was there and somewhere have a cassette of the gig in glorious very lo fi. Saw "Grinning Souls" at the Komedia around 18mths ago and downloaded the album (legally) from his website.

Nick didn't look any younger at the gig but the fact that his adult daughter introduced the band showed how the years have passed! Music still good though it didn't beat seeing the Drivers all those years ago at the Shelley Arms (now a house), Cartoon, Tonbridge Football Club (where the floor collapsed through dancing), Ravenswood and various other venues. Happy days!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You mean very few Americans know ....

They were the 4th most successful chart band in the UK I think, behind Beatles Stones and Hollies.

I think Madness had more top 20 hits than they did :ohmy:

And I mean world wide.

They seem to be a band where people might know the song, but not necessarily who did it.

But agreed they did ok in the UK.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But agreed they did ok in the UK.

The Kinks were massive in the UK, they had the rare knack of making good pop songs that just about everyone of their generation could relate to. They did far better than ok.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The Kinks were massive in the UK, they had the rare knack of making good pop songs that just about everyone of their generation could relate to. They did far better than ok.

They are my fave band so I agree with your sentiments in regards to their greatness.

But that didnt always translate to record sales despite the albums getting critical acclaim.

And that was where i was coming from, they deserved to sell millions more than they did.

When a brillaint single like Shangri-La doesnt chart the world's truly overlooked a classic.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A Band Called O.

I liked them, didn't they become the O Band and just disappear? I had a couple of their albums. I think they were the support to Man ( who were truely dreadful) at the Dome in the late 70's.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I liked them, didn't they become the O Band and just disappear? I had a couple of their albums. I think they were the support to Man ( who were truely dreadful) at the Dome in the late 70's.

Indeed. I was there too, Man were one of my favourite bands of the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here