Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bands that should have had much more success

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
these 80s band lead singers are well worth checking out. I was always partial to Aztec Camera and their song Oblivious is a perfect pop song. I saw Roddy Frame in concert later. Very good

Edwyn Collins is worth a listen and I also saw Doctor Robert play with Mick Talbot in the Greys pub of all places. Really blew me away. Agree about Nick Heyward's solo stuff being very good. As is Midge Ure

Good call Buzzer. Roddy Frame is one of the greatest singer songwriters our sceptred isles has ever produced. FACT. Master guitarist, whose banter is so good between songs he could probably earn a living as a standup comedian too.

I will be buried with a copy of his second solo album Surf.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
these 80s band lead singers are well worth checking out. I was always partial to Aztec Camera and their song Oblivious is a perfect pop song. I saw Roddy Frame in concert later. Very good

Edwyn Collins is worth a listen ...

Edwyn Collins and Roddy Frame are both heroes of mine. Which is why this video of them playing together actually made me cry the first time I saw it:

[yt]giVDTZxaXZU[/yt]

(For the uninitiated who wonder why Edwyn Collins is sitting down and slurring: he literally had learn how to walk and talk all over again after suffering a double brain hemorrhage 4 years ago, and is still partially paralysed and getting his life back together...)

Last edited:

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
I offer you The Popguns

Isn't the point that many off the bands on here were good/great because they didn't become 'big' thereby maintaining their credability and not getting flabby and disappearing up their own bottoms?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree entirely. I started a thread about them a few months back. To me, Fujiya and Miyagi kind of carry on that vibe.

I've just got into Fujiya and Miyagi, the recent Lightbulbs album is quality. Recorded along the road from me apparently.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
of Montreal.

God knows how but this band slipped through my net initially but I have just got two of their recent albums: Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? and Skeletal Lamping and I love them. As a bonus they are at Digital in a few weeks.

You could do a lot worse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did they play any stuff from the Street fighting years album?

I picked this album up for a euro in a Berlin flohmarkt. Not bad, for a euro.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Soul crying out is superb.Like that song alot.

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend

Only Belfast Child from what I remember, which they finished off with. Preceded by Alive and Kicking (though that was from the previous album).

They sounded absolutely fantastic, top draw stuff.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Carter USM

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Consumed

f***ing brilliant band but gone way before their time :(

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
I offer you The Popguns

Saw The Popguns in Littlehampton years ago supported by The Daniel Grade and How Many Beans Make Five (real student names for bands if ever there was!)

And Frazier Chorus- got great mixes of Walking On Air.
Incidently, Tim Freeman of Frazier Chorus is Martin Freeman's(Mod, Soul Freak and general good guy of Office fame) brother.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I rather like The Shins............. they have been "bubbling under" as it were for several years and have yet to break through, Ray Mercer is an undoubted talent... Kissing The Lipless is a classic as is Phantom Limb..... the lyrics can be complicated and obtuse but, they've got something !

YouTube - The Shins - Phantom Limb

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

God i love that album.....even better than once upon a time i reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here