Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Attendance figure for last night???

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Instead of being at the ground I watched the game in a pub (bad fan). There was a Palace supporter there who spent ten minutes moaning about how empty the ground looked, after which the banter got a bit more positive. He wouldn’t listen to any of the arguments as to why there were so few there, so I asked him for his view. I was expecting a tirade about how their fans are more loyal and would never miss a game, but he was full of “Well, Brighton fans are really Chelsea fans with a second team”. I’ve never met such a fan but it does seem to be a trope. Anyone out there admit to being a big-six supporter in disguise, or know of one?

He's a Crystal 'BOGOF/Groupon' Palace, home of the Always Ultras led by spurs fans, fan?

He probably knows what he's talking about.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They are now 30,141 as I posted above.

Ah, right, cheers. Not surprised they never announced it then, would 'of' been best laugh of the night (actually second best, but not making any inferences whatsoever as to Brentford no. 19's strangely protruding bum that we saw from the North for WAY too many corners for comfort in the first half)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You can be an aggressive **** sometimes, can't you.

I said "most grounds had a very reduced attendance" and you confirmed that they were perhaps 50-60% attendance. My point exactly. Our game was at 8pm, finishing at around 10pm with real public transport issues. I think that's far from nonsense. But you can't help yourself can you.

Two isn't most when six games are played. I'm pointing out your inaccuracy.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Well there clearly isn't, else they'd have done so. Not even the BBC match report is, er, reporting it. Maybe they'll stop announcing it altogether. At best, based on the Wolves game and many others, they just get (rightly) ridiculed for the announcement. At worst they get (wrongly) accused of faking the 'attendance'. PB's latest massive missive in the B&H News, and linked to on here, seems to suggest that the criticism has hit home

The biggest barrier to truth in all walks of life is admitting getting it wrong. Or ego as it’s known. You don’t get to CEO without getting a lot right or a big ego. Generally a good thing but occasionally bad. The current ticket scheme is all wrong, a mistake. To openly admit this goes against the grain of said ego. Better to wait until a “new improved” scheme is launched to save face without having to admit got it wrong.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
<snip>
I was expecting a tirade about how their fans are more loyal and would never miss a game, but he was full of “Well, Brighton fans are really Chelsea fans with a second team”. I’ve never met such a fan but it does seem to be a trope. Anyone out there admit to being a big-six supporter in disguise, or know of one?

I know a Brighton season ticket holder who takes his Brighton-mad son to every home game though he himself is a fan of another team. He supports Spurs though, so I'm slightly reluctant to consider him a fan of a big club...

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Reckon a lot of people that were meant to park in the multi-storey parked in the big main car park instead (probably as they didn’t know where they were meant to go) and that made the main car park full. There were loads of spaces available around campus.

The stewards were directing people into the first available car park. We arrived at 7pm at The Bridge junction, took 20 minutes to reach the University where they were checking tickets and were first told to park anywhere and then specifically directed into the drop off car park even though we were also in the multi storey. Suited us fine as less to walk but that was probably why there was such a long waiting queue whilst everyone turned into the first car park. Glad I didn’t leave it any later!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Instead of being at the ground I watched the game in a pub (bad fan). There was a Palace supporter there who spent ten minutes moaning about how empty the ground looked, after which the banter got a bit more positive. He wouldn’t listen to any of the arguments as to why there were so few there, so I asked him for his view. I was expecting a tirade about how their fans are more loyal and would never miss a game, but he was full of “Well, Brighton fans are really Chelsea fans with a second team”. I’ve never met such a fan but it does seem to be a trope. Anyone out there admit to being a big-six supporter in disguise, or know of one?

I have met many fans that had no interest in the Albion before we had the Amex, some with season tickets and others coming to odd matches.
I have also met people that have moved to Sussex and like watching football, so come along to watch the Albion, not necessarily fans of the big six.

I think many Albion that attend the Amex maybe had some interest in the past or went but didn’t fancy going to Withdean or The Goldstone during the final years, I can understand these fans are attracted by the facilities at the Amex and team playing in the PL and Championship before.
I believe the Palace fans wouldn’t understand this and say many of these fans are also Chelsea etc, because we suddenly attracted 20k + extra fans since the Amex opened

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
From the east, the west looked less than half full. And looking at the east on MOTD, that looked well less than half. Fair play to Brentford fans for pretty much filling their allocation
Fantastic 3 points!

Actually they did not fill their allocation, plenty of empty seats towards the west…

Thought their fans were a bit boring & predictable, after we scored, a few sporadic attempts at singing, but they were pretty lame to be honest.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
The actual clicks through the turnstiles are clearly and easily measured, for all sorts of reasons. Good luck with getting hold of that number tho

They are, and the number was 12k ‘something’ …I can’t recall the exact figure, as I have said above. As you say, good luck getting an official quote, and I obv expect my disclosure to be scrutinised as I don’t reveal a great deal on a consistent basis by choice, because it’s often not appropriate to do so but in this instance I feel it’s pretty harmless and I think it’s a believable number. I guessed ‘less than 15k’ when asked.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have met many fans that had no interest in the Albion before we had the Amex, some with season tickets and others coming to odd matches.
I have also met people that have moved to Sussex and like watching football, so come along to watch the Albion, not necessarily fans of the big six.

I think many Albion that attend the Amex maybe had some interest in the past or went but didn’t fancy going to Withdean or The Goldstone during the final years, I can understand these fans are attracted by the facilities at the Amex and team playing in the PL and Championship before.
I believe the Palace fans wouldn’t understand this and say many of these fans are also Chelsea etc, because we suddenly attracted 20k + extra fans since the Amex opened

I don't think this is quite the case, I doubt many of the 18,000(?) season tickets sold before the first game at the amex were sold to people that had never been to a Brighton game before.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I asked Toyah Wilcox about the attendance last night and she said It's a Mystery.

Big up to the staff though at the Amex, who were great before and after the match, especially directing people to park and ride etc.

Less of a big up to the bellend who tried to drive through me and some others in his Mercedes at the pedestrian crossing leaving the ground as we were on it. I'm sure though that he's a very important person will a very small penis.

When it was two nil I asked her if she was happy with the score. She said ''I want to be three''

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't think this is quite the case, I doubt many of the 18,000(?) season tickets sold before the first game at the amex were sold to people that had never been to a Brighton game before.

That is true, there were well over 20,000 individuals who bought tickets to see us play at Withdean for instance.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Actually they did not fill their allocation, plenty of empty seats towards the west…

Thought their fans were a bit boring & predictable, after we scored, a few sporadic attempts at singing, but they were pretty lame to be honest.

Yes. Quite amusing that they were singing about our lack of support when they had such a small following themselves. The away end was half full

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, you are right. I recall the Albion during the Withdean years saying that over 20,000 fans were on their database, but obviously not all went to every match, and we can probably understand why. The club has not attracted 20,000 new fans, but the majority of those who went to Withdean infrequently, now clearly go more regularly and have season tickets. Thus the majority of fans are not JCLs!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes. Quite amusing that they were singing about our lack of support when they had such a small following themselves. The away end was half full

I thought that they did brilliantly to get there at all to be honest, with no public transport to get them there, other than a few coaches laid on by the club, and their own cars. On any other day they would have sold out their full allocation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here