Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus having a pop at Dick Knight

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well, it wasn't very educated to put that I am 'special to the club' and I'm not to be questioned. In fact, it was a f***ing infantile thing to put - hence the appropriate response.

I don't need a defence to what Derek told me. If you don't believe me, that's up to you. It could be that Chapman is lying to me, in which case I've been made a mug of...

You're not going to believe this, but they're not all power-hungry nutcases on the board. I last had a conversation with Derek in July, and, though he didn't mention anything specific about the board, what he was saying (it was something separate but still relevant - and no, I can't put it on here) indicated he still has no intention of being chairman.

The reasons he doesn't want to be chairman haven't changed one jot since he first put his hand in his pocket - he doesn't have the time or the inclination.

Bad night, last night Al? :catfight:

(psst..nice to see you and your good lady on Saturday. We did go to the cricket ground after the match, after all!)

Anyone remember the gathering at Falmer on 11 February 2004? Or were you all at Grimsby that day?

Bobble hats:-

falmer11.thumb.jpg

Derek Chapman, ignoring the bobble hats and handing out soup to the hatless ones:-

falmer16.thumb.jpg

Note his inability to make mugs. Those are polysytrene cups he is handing out.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Anyone remember the gathering at Falmer on 11 February 2004? Or were you all at Grimsby that day?

Bobble hats:-

falmer11.thumb.jpg

Derek Chapman, ignoring the bobble hats and handing out soup to the hatless ones:-

falmer16.thumb.jpg

Note his inability to make mugs. Those are polysytrene cups he is handing out.

They are not proper bobble hats...................... where are their bobbles....... for Christ`s sake.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well, it wasn't very educated to put that I am 'special to the club' and I'm not to be questioned. In fact, it was a f***ing infantile thing to put - hence the appropriate response.

I don't need a defence to what Derek told me. If you don't believe me, that's up to you. It could be that Chapman is lying to me, in which case I've been made a mug of...

You're not going to believe this, but they're not all power-hungry nutcases on the board. I last had a conversation with Derek in July, and, though he didn't mention anything specific about the board, what he was saying (it was something separate but still relevant - and no, I can't put it on here) indicated he still has no intention of being chairman.

The reasons he doesn't want to be chairman haven't changed one jot since he first put his hand in his pocket - he doesn't have the time or the inclination.

It would appear that you are correct in your assertion as at July but I am fairly sure that I am not the only person who at the time of the investment by Tony Bloom thought that was the start of a take over.

As regards 'your special to the club' remark this come about by your continual belittling of anything anybody else, who has a view different to yours; says.
Invairiably what you say is right and they are wrong, even if it is an opinion,simply because you know or spoke to somebody at the club. I know how that can be turned against you as I speak from experience.

I am sure that this will not stop us locking horns again in the future on some other subject.

They are not proper bobble hats...................... where are their bobbles....... for Christ`s sake.

At least the debate is moving forward ...

We started with "bobble hats". We moved through "bobble hats with packed lunches" and "bobble hats without packed lunches". We are now FRETTING about whether bobble hats without bobbles count.

Ain't you just PROUD of the diverse community that is the Brighton & Hove Albion fanbase?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It would appear that you are correct in your assertion as at July but I am fairly sure that I am not the only person who at the time of the investment by Tony Bloom thought that was the start of a take over.
What made you think Tony Bloom's investment was the start of a takeover? Hope? It was only ever £250,000 - at least that is the figure being banded about. I know as much as you do about the exact details of what happened, but even I know £250k was never going to be enough to kick Dick out.

As regards 'your special to the club' remark this come about by your continual belittling of anything anybody else, who has a view different to yours; says.
Invairiably what you say is right and they are wrong, even if it is an opinion,simply because you know or spoke to somebody at the club. I know how that can be turned against you as I speak from experience.

I am sure that this will not stop us locking horns again in the future on some other subject.
I don't 'belittle' - at least I don't intend to. I merely attempt to clarify in order to help stop a particular story going too far down one path with something I might know or might have been told. If you are 'belittled' by facts, I can't help that. Some people might occasionally appreciate some clarification.

I also know that it can be turned against you - and it has happened to me - which is why I am usually careful with what I put on here.

You're making out I have some direct hot-line fed to the club. Well, actually, so do you.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
At least the debate is moving forward ...

We started with "bobble hats". We moved through "bobble hats with packed lunches" and "bobble hats without packed lunches". We are now FRETTING about whether bobble hats without bobbles count.

Ain't you just PROUD of the diverse community that is the Brighton & Hove Albion fanbase?

You`ll have my respect when you get the bobbles put back on hats in the club shop.f*** all this Falmer and Seagulls party shit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that at the time of the injection of that cash and the insistence of sacking MM it gave the impression that more would happen, which in fact didnt but itstill left a slight smouldering of suspicion and doubt.

I think that at the time of the injection of that cash and the insistence of sacking MM it gave the impression that more would happen, which in fact didnt but itstill left a slight smouldering of suspicion and doubt.

Maybe that's because the Argus was publishing piss-poor, speculative opinions, masquerading as "news" - with no basis in reality.

Just as they are now.

As Attila says, why don't we just wait and see?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I am sure (but don't know it for a fact) that one condition of Tony Bloom's investment was MM's sacking, and there was a certain degree of politcial chicanery at play.

But that's far different from saying it was a takeover bid.

No facts, no attributed quotes, no by-line - a totally piss poor piece of "journalism".

"We do not know for sure"!!!!!! This beggars belief. Have you got a phone Naylor? if so, use it and feking well find out before printing this unsubtantiated rubbish.

and as for the comment as the end, well that is beyond contempt.

Knight should welcome interest
Comment | Read Comments (19)
Why is Albion chairman Dick Knight so touchy about David Gold wanting to invest in Albion?

A brief statement from Knight, read out at Withdean last Saturday during the half-time interval, categorically denied any contact between Birmingham's co-owner and the Albion hierarchy.

We never said there has been. In The Argus exclusives, outlining Gold's interest, we revealed he has been sounded out "by people close to the Seagulls".

Football League rules prevent simultaneous involvement with more than one club. Nothing can happen until later in the year, when the takeover of Birmingham by Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung should be completed.

We do not know for sure whether Gold, whose family is worth £500m, will end up putting money into Albion. What we do know for certain is that he is keen to do so.

It is only natural that some big hitters will be attracted to the club now that all obstacles to the new stadium at Falmer have been removed.

Knight, understandably perhaps given everything he has been through during his time in charge, is probably worried about someone coming along to steal all the glory.

It need not be like that. Of course, nobody is going to fork out a lot of money without having a say but that does not necessarily mean the end for Knight.

When Gold took over a near-bankrupt Birmingham in 1993, the chairman at the time, Jack Wiseman, was made president. He has continued to attend matches ever since.

Knight's place in Albion history is already assured. The move to Falmer is the final piece in the jigsaw.

Knight will be in his early Seventies by the time the Seagulls get there. He already divides his time between England and Spain.

A change of chairman once Albion settle in at Falmer (director Derek Chapman is one obvious candidate) would be a logical and natural progression.

Gold's interest has been welcomed by an overwhelming majority of fans. What Knight has to be careful of is leaving supporters with the impression of an ageing man desperately clinging on to power.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is a strange article by The Argus and I see no evidence, in Dick Knight, of a man "clinging onto power". The tone of the piece is petulant and naive.

Clearly, David Gold does not want to prejudice his Birmingham sale which is now at a delicate stage, and football laws dictate he cannot commit until the Brum deal is done. So obviously all parties concerned have to remain tight-lipped...for now.

The fit between Gold and the Albion is tailor-made and I expect that the chances of Gold being chairman in a year's time are at least 50/50.

I don't have a problem with speculation as long as it is informed and not idle. This was idle and we deserve better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here