Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus having a pop at Dick Knight

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
If any new man comes in with serious dosh then it is the end for the bobble hatters. Some of them are beginning to fret already.

All clubs do the ''Community - We want your input - bit when they are on their knees but that evaportes when the club is once again run by a powerful chairman or board.
Oh for the Bamber days. You cannot beat a good dictator.

are these the same 'bobble hatters' that helped make Falmer a reality ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
they are not creating a story, they are speculating what would happen if things were to change.

Isnt that what the Sun, Mirror, telegraph, Observer, independant etc etc do every day on the back pages? is the Argus not allowed to do this then?

If newspapers only printed news and not views they would have very little to put down after page 6. You are right DTG.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
they are not creating a story, they are speculating what would happen if things were to change.

Isnt that what the Sun, Mirror, telegraph, Observer, independant etc etc do every day on the back pages? is the Argus not allowed to do this then?

Thats my beef with many media publications. Personally I think they should report the news, not create (create is the same as speculate if you think about it). The challenge for a newspaper should be who gets to a story first - not who thinks of every little angle to exploit in order to sell a few more copies!! I say this not only of the Argus btw but many publications...

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thats my beef with many media publications. Personally I think they should report the news, not create (create is the same as speculate if you think about it). The challenge for a newspaper should be who gets to a story first - not who thinks of every little angle to exploit in order to sell a few more copies!! I say this not only of the Argus btw but many publications...

you dont seriously believe what you have just put do you?

step away from brighton and Hove albion a moment... are you suggesting newspapers should never publish any story that is speculation?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who exactly are you talking about? And what signs of fretting do you see?

There are people who are worrying about any new regime or change as they envisage an altered relationship with any incoming man or board. It wont be so cosy.
They think that the closer relationship the fans have with the club now will disapear. They will probably be right. Thats how it works with most of the big name chairmen. I doubt if any new man would be that interested in whether someone walked half a mile to a labour party conference or put leaflets through peoples doors which I am sorry to say had no bearing whatsoever in the yes vote for Falmer.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

step away from brighton and Hove albion a moment... are you suggesting newspapers should never publish any story that is speculation?

Yep I do believe it. Although you've made a running jump and assumed the extreme of what I'm talking about. I've picked on a teeny tiny word in the above article to make my point I must admit, but in having said that I'd like to be able to read an article and not have to assume which side of the fence the author sits on, or who he supprts or who he has been talking to. If I want comment or editorial I'll go to the pages marked "comment or letters or somesuch" I don't really enjoy reading about it on pages marked NEWS or sports news, if they want to guess then it should be called a COMMENT Paper not a NEWS paper.....

However thats my thoughts on the media, in the context of what this thread is about, I don't like people saying "DK is PROBABLY worried about someone coming along and taking his glory"...

Is he really? Did someone actually ask him?? Its assumption and as Lord B. says is piss poor journalism.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There are people who are worrying about any new regime or change as they envisage an altered relationship with any incoming man or board. It wont be so cosy.
They think that the closer relationship the fans have with the club now will disapear. They will probably be right. Thats how it works with most of the big name chairmen. I doubt if any new man would be that interested in whether someone walked half a mile to a labour party conference or put leaflets through peoples doors which I am sorry to say had no bearing whatsoever in the yes vote for Falmer.

Do you think Roman Abramovich or the Glazers have tea and crumpets with the bobble hats ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Absolutely. NEWSpapers should publish news stories. There is room for speculation from feature writers: ('Would William make a good king or should he be beheaded with the rest of them?') but the news stories should stick to the facts and not say things like "AIDS is probably on the increase if a new set of figures published today show an upward trend."

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep I do believe it. Although you've made a running jump and assumed the extreme of what I'm talking about. I've picked on a teeny tiny word in the above article to make my point I must admit, but in having said that I'd like to be able to read an article and not have to assume which side of the fence the author sits on, or who he supprts or who he has been talking to. If I want comment or editorial I'll go to the pages marked "comment or letters or somesuch" I don't really enjoy reading about it on pages marked NEWS or sports news, if they want to guess then it should be called a COMMENT Paper not a NEWS paper.....

However thats my thoughts on the media, in the context of what this thread is about, I don't like people saying "DK is PROBABLY worried about someone coming along and taking his glory"...

Is he really? Did someone actually ask him?? Its assumption and as Lord B. says is piss poor journalism.

the Argus thing today was a Comment! It was in the comment bit of the back page.

Dont get me wrong i know you are getting at, but speculation is all what papers are about, journo's speculate what will happen if a certain event happens. Long may they continue...

are these the same 'bobble hatters' that helped make Falmer a reality ?

Perfect.
Dick Knight made BHAFC remain a reality, and some MORONS are gagging for him to leave at the drop of a £ sign. What else would they have an instant sale on, one wonders?
"fire sale today, all family members and treasured possessions must go"

The only 'lickers' around, are the clowns who will exchange the honest club-saviour we know, for the opportunist financial enterpriser we don't.

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
what an interesting thread.

I have learnt that Derek Chapman although having stated he doesn't want to be chairman may actually want to.

I have been advised to remember how the argus helped the falmer campaign. Highly interesting as I was involved very heavily with the argus on both the Bring Home the Albion and FFA campaigns and am now married to the then News and Deputy Editor of the paper.

I have received a lesson in how and what a nespaper should report including some very patronising statements

I have also learned that there are some people who apparently lick and wear bobble hats who are currently FRETTING

What I haven't learned yet from any here (especially someone like Dave the Gaffer who has some very good sources) is who are the sources close to the club that have been in discussions with David Gold? Are we talking directors, investors, journalists, players, or are we referring to the supporters on here who have spoken to him in the past (or even work for him?). Or is the sopurce close to the club actually John Catt our neighbour at Withdean?

I also haven't learned, despite a direct question from Lord Bracknell, as to who these Bobblers are and what signs of fretting they are doing?

Finally and most of all, I still haven't learned just how much truth is in the argus piece today in terms oif what Dick Knight actually believes or thinks.

I await with interest the responses from the learned members of NSC. I also expect to see the same level of insulting claptrap that I got last week when reminding people that the original story on here x months ago came from a supposedly innocent comment referring to a Daily Mirror article.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
If filth along the lines of Abramovich or Glazier comes anyone near the Albion, the militants who got rid of the last profiteering bastard (who were not, and are not, 'bobble hatters!') will say NO. If the likes of Questions say yes, things will get very messy!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

If you bought a paper purely on the depth and quality of its basic news reporting you might find that they would all sound pretty much the same. Ok the Sun might have to simplfy things for there readers a bit but what fills the real column inches is the view of the columnist. Martin Samuel who has been voted best sports journalist of the year for the last 2 years writes some great stuff in The Times (not everything I agree with though ) but most of it is about his persnal opinions and has very little to do with hard facts. Its all about interpretations of facts that make these articles interesting. Some times its based purely on speculation but thats ok with me as long as its interesting.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do you think Roman Abramovich or the Glazers have tea and crumpets with the bobble hats ?

Well thats my point. If they are putting in millions and they dont want to kiss and cuddle with the ''Saviours'' I dont give a shit.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
If you bought a paper purely on the depth and quality of its basic news reporting you might find that they would all sound pretty much the same. Ok the Sun might have to simplfy things for there readers a bit but what fills the real column inches is the view of the columnist. Martin Samuel who has been voted best sports journalist of the year for the last 2 years writes some great stuff in The Times (not everything I agree with though ) but most of it is about his persnal opinions and has very little to do with hard facts. Its all about interpretations of facts that make these articles interesting. Some times its based purely on speculation but thats ok with me as long as its interesting.

I do like reading other peoples comment - many a columnist is well read and provides great food for thought....as long as we the reader know it is someone elses opinion! When opinion and speculation creep into NEWS stories then I get a tad annoyed...

I think I posted last week or the week before about a Sun news headline which was "Northern Rock Crumbles"....which a) wasn't true and b) I wonder how many people who read that then joined the queues outside their branches...I'd think quite a few!

Thats my beef - tis all...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Perfect.
Dick Knight made BHAFC remain a reality, and some MORONS are gagging for him to leave at the drop of a £ sign. What else would they have an instant sale on, one wonders?
"fire sale today, all family members and treasured possessions must go"

The only 'lickers' around, are the clowns who will exchange the honest club-saviour we know, for the opportunist financial enterpriser we don't.

That wins the ''Naive Post of the day award''

I have the utmost respect for what DK has done for he Albion but if this club is to move to a higher level then it has to face up to a few facts.
All the top clubs get bought. Their investers do not get onboard and harp on about who saved who and who did what in the gory years. There are many who have done their bit................ so what move on................ you cannot name a stand after all of them.
As for opportunism, well I would rather have a rich opportunist in the coming years than a pennyless board. They have done wonders but a new era is dawning and its time to court the money men.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here