Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus having a pop at Dick Knight

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It is a strange article by The Argus and I see no evidence, in Dick Knight, of a man "clinging onto power". The tone of the piece is petulant and naive.

Clearly, David Gold does not want to prejudice his Birmingham sale which is now at a delicate stage, and football laws dictate he cannot commit until the Brum deal is done. So obviously all parties concerned have to remain tight-lipped...for now.

The fit between Gold and the Albion is tailor-made and I expect that the chances of Gold being chairman in a year's time are at least 50/50.

I don't have a problem with speculation as long as it is informed and not idle. This was idle and we deserve better.
100% spot on. :thumbsup:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If a new investor comes in with the required money they will run the ship quite differently i would think..Dick needed the fans ..some-one with money most probably will not...if it were me investing the money i would certainly do it my way and wuld not allow others to tell me otherwise it would'nt be a wise investment

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To use a construction analogy, the Albion are like a decent plot of land with planning permission granted.

The present owner of the land should not expect to be there at the grand unveiling of the end development because that right belong to the developer. Instead, the present landowner is rewarded with sale proceeds which cover his time and expense for acquiring and maintaining the land and obtaining the required planning permission.

I notice from another thread that the Birmingham Mail are now reporting it or is this just a copy of the Argus story, one local to another.

Blues to be Yeung's by New Year
Sep 25 2007

By Colin Tattum, Birmingham Mail

CARSON Yeung's takeover of Blues remains on course, but it is not likely to be completed until just before the turn of the year.

In August, co-owner David Sullivan made a public plea for the Hong Kong tycoon to reveal his intentions by the end of this month.

Sullivan expressed concern that the saga was dragging on to the detriment of the club as a whole.

Although Yeung's people have again been going through the books at St Andrew's in the past few days, it appears that it won't be until mid-December that he purchases a controlling interest.

Yeung spent around £15million in July for 29.9 per cent of Blues, diluting the shareholding of Sullivan, David and Ralph Gold, Karren Brady and finance director Roger Bannister.

But he effectively has no real power as Sullivan and the Golds shareholding combined is 46.44 per cent, and they still call the shots.

Yeung has consistently insisted when interviewed that he plans to be in charge by the New Year.

And he has talked enthusiastically about grand plans to turn Blues into an 'international club', Champions League football at St Andrew's and a string of Academies in China.

But, privately, Blues are still not 100 per cent sure whether he will, indeed, come up with another £35million.

Countering that concern, Yeung has continued to show plenty of enthusiasm for Blues since his investment.

He has been clocking up the air miles on incredible whistle-stop stays to make sure he doesn't miss them in action.

Since August, Yeung and his entourage have been flying into England on Friday, watching Blues the next day and then returning to Hong Kong on Monday.

He brought his son over with him to the game at Middlesbrough as well.

And, through his friend and football adviser Steve McManaman, Real Madrid midfielder Esteban Granero was recommended for a loan before the transfer window shut.

Yeung's takeover vehicle, Grandtop International Holdings - McManaman is an executive director - recently issued a statement to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange detailing the postponement of a circular "regarding a very substantial acquisition".

They wanted more time to prepare financial information on Blues to provide shareholders with a "better understanding of the acquisition", hence the recent visit by Yeung's accountants.

Grandtop announced that the circular wouldn't be dispatched until a date falling on or before October 26, five weeks later than expected, thus putting back the takeover.

It is thought that Yeung will float Grandtop on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange to help raise funds to buy Blues.

With the Sullivan-Golds-Brady era apparently coming to a close, speculation has naturally arisen about what they do next.

It has been predicted that chairman David Gold will go to Brighton and Hove Albion.

Reports suggest that he has already been sounded out and is keen to start afresh there.

Logistically and emotionally, the link does make sense. Gold's mansion in Godstone, Surrey, is a relatively short journey from Brighton and his fiancee, Lesley Manning, is from Hurstpierpoint in Sussex, where they have a home.

Brighton chairman Dick Knight knows Gold and commented: "I've had no approach from him whatsoever and that is all I am prepared to say at the moment."

Yeung and his associates have indicated that he would like Gold and Brady to remain at Blues once he is in charge to help his English football club ownership assimilation.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Star today reports that David Gold has been offered the chance to take over BHA when the sale of Birmingham goes through in November. In the light of the statement made at half time during the last match who has offered him this chance?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
So the question still remains - who are the bobble hatters and what evidence of fretting is there?

I, sorry my friend, thinks he may be one. Can somebody please confirm if he is?

The Star today reports that David Gold has been offered the chance to take over BHA when the sale of Birmingham goes through in November. In the light of the statement made at half time during the last match who has offered him this chance?
Blimey!

It's bad enough having to suggest that people take the speculation that appears in the Argus with a pinch of salt, without having to suggest as well that Not Every Single Word That Appears In The Daily Star May Be Absolutely True.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005

on the basis that knight only owns c30% he couldn't make that offer. It could be that no offer has been made or that the 'offer' is from these 'sources close to the club' that Andy naylor refers to but that nobody (even the well connected Dave the Gaffer) has stated.

As for earlier re Chapman, no it wasn't a dig at you but actually highlighting the simplicity in which the writer of the piece today could have verified it by asking the man involved.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

My thoughts are that

'has been offered the chance to take over at BHA'

and

'Might possibly/maybe think about talking to DK if/when the sale of B'ham goes through'

are ratherdifferent.

Not every word in the Daily Star is actully fact.

Personally still very much hopes it happens though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Blimey!

It's bad enough having to suggest that people take the speculation that appears in the Argus with a pinch of salt, without having to suggest as well that Not Every Single Word That Appears In The Daily Star May Be Absolutely True.

What you are saying is that none of these stories have any basis of truth so David Gold could sue each of those papers on the grounds that they could hinder his sale of Birmingham or cause him problems with the FA.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
What you are saying is that none of these stories have any basis of truth so David Gold could sue each of those papers on the grounds that they could hinder his sale of Birmingham or cause him problems with the FA.

i'm not sure that is what has been said. We know from severnside gull on here that he knows David Gold. If he(for example) has suggested he should invest in the Albion then it would fulfil the 'sources close to the albion' criteria.

If Gold has said he would be interested in that then it would meet the willing to invest criteria

The piece in the Birmingham local paper is just a rehash of the argus piece. Almost word for word. The piece in The Star says he has been offered - it doesn't say by whom. I could offer you the chance to take over the Albion (and list a number of criteria including you must pay me £45m and make me manager) but it doesn't negate that factually the star would be correct to say that I have offered you the chance to take over. Whether I have the authority to do so is neither here nor their.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Albion Kebabs

Ignore - not sure how i managed to start a new thread in this one

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
i'm not sure that is what has been said. We know from severnside gull on here that he knows David Gold. If he(for example) has suggested he should invest in the Albion then it would fulfil the 'sources close to the albion' criteria.

If Gold has said he would be interested in that then it would meet the willing to invest criteria

The piece in the Birmingham local paper is just a rehash of the argus piece. Almost word for word. The piece in The Star says he has been offered - it doesn't say by whom. I could offer you the chance to take over the Albion (and list a number of criteria including you must pay me £45m and make me manager) but it doesn't negate that factually the star would be correct to say that I have offered you the chance to take over. Whether I have the authority to do so is neither here nor their.

So what you are in fact sayingf is that DG could have been offered the chance to buy the club from somebody in outer Mongolia who only knows about us from reading the internet. That is not what is implied n the article. If that is the case a paper has the licence to print anything that they wish without much chance of redress.

I noticed that you didnt choose to comment on my point about you giving professional advice to anybody wishing tospend that amount of money without having control over its use.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dunno. I've never been on a coach to an away game - apart from two trips that Superphil organised (to Rotherham and Swansea) - both of which were well stocked with packed lunches of the liquid variety.

I hope they were not on the coach as that is ILLEGAL.

I am now fretting that LB and Superphil are FUGITIVES from the law

What is going on with our beloved club and its fans?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope they were not on the coach as that is ILLEGAL.

I am now fretting that LB and Superphil are FUGITIVES from the law

What is going on with our beloved club and its fans?

Those trips could have been in about 1965 when it wasn't illegal though :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here