Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding away team players!!

Feb 14, 2010
I think he has Been the Best English Player over the last ten years. I respect him as a man and as a footballer. Fan club, nah, wouldn't go that far. Definately a world class player who deserves the applause he gets

Gerrard wouldnt get near the Barca side, but really this isnt about Gerrard its about the happy clappers, sad as fook

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What's wrong with applauding a player who's been one of the best of his generation ? It's good that some of our crowd actually know enough about football generally to appreciate that players other than the Albion's can be talented. Having seen the Liverpool fans stay behind to applaud us off the pitch after coming back from two down at Anfield (and similar after they were knocked out of the Champions League by Benfica and, by general consent, there are countless other examples), I'm glad we followed that example. It's that attitude that sets a large number of their supporters apart from other big clubs who spend so much time denigrating opponents.

toff79

Aug 8, 2011
respect for what? gerrard is a thug he kicks hes way through opponents, dives all over the place and thinks he can get away with it because he plays for LFC i just dont understand clapping him, for those saying because of his england career what has he ever done for england? as someone said earlier if it was beckham then i could fully understand and would be on my feet clapping but not now not ever will i clap steven gerrard.

D

Deleted member 2719

I know (although don't understand why) that i'll be in the minority here but, Applauding away team players?!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing, Steve G warming up, West stand lower Applauded. Steve G comes onto the pitch and the whole ground Applauded.

I personally think he's a great player, for the pool and for England, probably the best over the last 10 years. But, do we really need to be Applauding him? We're supposed to be in battle, he's the enemy!! Whats next, Applauding when he scores against us?! Letting him have a little go on your missus!! Bloody hell!!!!

I'm not suggesting we boo but should we really be making the effort to Applaud?

Too right, although i did chuck a few boo's into him as like you say they are the enemy, just like Leeds are on Friday and a few fluffy fans want to get behind Plymouth's' problems at a extremely competitive game .....what's that all about.:wozza:

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
respect for what? gerrard is a thug he kicks hes way through opponents, dives all over the place and thinks he can get away with it because he plays for LFC i just dont understand clapping him, for those saying because of his england career what has he ever done for england? as someone said earlier if it was beckham then i could fully understand and would be on my feet clapping but not now not ever will i clap steven gerrard.

thats your opinion....but to sum up Gerrard as "a thug who kicks his way through opponents" is bullshit....he has been a driving force for Liverpool over the last 10 years or so....he is a quality player, when of the best the midfielders in premiership history...Albion fans clapping his comeback after 6 months shows our class & shows Gerrard respect! :bhasign:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Every team's done that this season. Let's not roll out the old myth about Liverpool fans somehow being different and special again.

Some of them are, my scouse mate got a coach all the way down from liverpool, realised i lived near brighton, gave his seat away to a ticketless 9 year old kid , and watched the game with me in the railway bell, and he's got to be at work in liverpool at 6 this morning!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I agree completely with the OP. Absolutely ridiculous. Who cares if he is/was England's captain, this was Brighton v Liverpool, not England v Germany.......I honestly couldn't believe it and when the clapping had stopped I shouted PLASTICS!

Same here mate - they'll probably be congratulating Glenn Murray when he comes off the bench for the scum next week.

Whilst when he came on off the subs bench, he didn't get the reception our lads did, it was ridiculous that people were clapping like loonies when he began his warm up in the first half and Barnes, Vicente and Kaz hardly got a cheer.

Yes he has done well in his career- well done blah blah. However he is still one of the vastly overpaid millionaire players who so badly let England down at the last world cup.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Completely agree. No homophobic chants, no baiting, just supporting their team.

Would have joined in if someone else started a "2-1 on your big day out" though, tounge in cheek of course.

I clapped Stevie g as I would any player making their come-back after a long term injury, as I would a player getting stretchered off. As an aside, I Wonder if anyone booed that player that made a comeback from cancer? Abidal was it? Not the same just wondering. Maybe Harris or Stubbs did? Who knows.

I also noticed that too. A lot of respect last night. I think we surprised them with our quality. Liverpool as a club, they know there football, and their supporters did not lower the tone either. And like you say I did not hear one homophobic boring chant.

Its the same on their forums too, not one mention about bum boys, bandits, gays and all the other boring crap we have to put up with from the tin pot wanky clubs.

All in all it was a great evening. Good football, great atmoshphere, 3rd in the championship what more could we ask for.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A highly regarded England player gets clapped while warming up at an Albion game, prompting pages of shite on NSC.

f***ing hell, is it really all that important? REALLY?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm not ashamed to admit I gave Gerrard a polite applause when he came on as did quite a few fans around me in the north stand, Once the game restarted however it was normal service resumed and he was as much open to abuse as any other Liverpool player.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
I have to agree on the whole although if people want to applaud opposition players, that is of course down to them and their entitled to do so. All about opinion I guess - very plasticy it has to be said! Talking of plastic fans, two blokes sitting in front of me dressed in all the bhafc gear completely baffled me. Listening to them, they didn't know any of our players and spent the whole 90 mins taking pictures of the Liverpool players! Such a bleedin waste of two tickets!!

A lot taking pics of liverpool players in front of me, seemed a bit weird. As for clapping the opposition players, before or during a game, no way unless they do something very sporting. When subbed or after fair enough.

My other gripe, those plastic captions on the screens. seagulls, come on brighton etc. I have always chanted "seagulls" when corners taken, but not last night, that was embarassing

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A lot taking pics of liverpool players in front of me, seemed a bit weird. As for clapping the opposition players, before or during a game, no way unless they do something very sporting. When subbed or after fair enough.

When Gerrard was warming up all you could see from the east stand was flash bulbs going off in the lower west, and this was while the game was going on. Obviously far more important to get a picture of Gerrards back while he is warming up, than watching the game in front of you!!

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
The same player that Noone loves and idolises. Noone and co even supported Liverpool at the weekend. So I guess Noone Elphick and Navs are soft are they??!

Did Noone stop and give him a standing ovation when he was warming up or came on? I'm quite happy to applaud him after the game or in warm up but during the game, nah.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
To be fair he has been England captain. If he wasn't English I am sure he would not have got such a round of applause.

Exactly. As an Englishmen and a football fan he deserves respect.

Nice to see, especially with the constant slagging off of such players on here - all talk behind the keyboard some people...

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Tinpot behaviour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here