Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding away team players!!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Cannot think of one good reason to clap Gerrard during his warm ups or when he came on.

He has never done THAT well for England. .

Played and scored in the 5-1 DEMOLITION of Germany in Munich. I will always applaud that

Remember this is the crowdwhich in 1992(?) who greeted a young player making his debut for his club with the chant "Who the f***ing hell are you"

he was (and is) David Beckham

Last edited:

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
Would just like to say that I'm a Liverpool fan and season ticket holder of 15 years that traveled down for last night's game and couldn't have been more impressed by the Amex, the fans and the place. Following LFC home and away has taken me to some fairly far flung places around Europe and even the world and I'm extremely lucky in that respect although my bank balance wouldn't think so.

It's hugely disappointing when I go to grounds like The Stadium of Light, The Emirates or The Riverside where they've just become big, soulless, corporate bowls to house fans of clubs with years and years of tradition (Well maybe not Middlesborough but Sunderland and Arsenal). To be honest I thought that was going to be the case last night. I'll hold my hands up and admit to not knowing a great deal about Albion or its fans before last night but any kind of negative preconceptions I may have been harbouring were quickly extinguished before I'd arrived at the stadium. Every fan we met in the alehouse was welcoming and a good laugh.

Once we got into the ground and the game kicked off the atmosphere was great (10x better than the Emirates with a 1/3 of the capacity) and there were very few of the usual dickheads who spend the whole match shouting bile directly at opposition fans without watching the game.

Anyway, back on topic, the treatment of Steven Gerrard was exceptional and showed real class on your part. To be perfectly honest I couldn't give a toss what he has (or hasn't) done for England, Liverpool are my passion and I tend to watch England in the same way I'd watch any other footy match on TV. Steven Gerrard is up there with Dalglish as the greatest footballer to pull on the red shirt and in an age we haven't been anywhere near as successful and we were in the 70s and 80s, that's a blessing. Liverpool fans always applaud quality, home or away (with the exception of Wayne Rooney who ticks every box when it comes to opposition dislike with his Blueshite/Mancshite connections). I just hope you know that it wasn't just the Albion team we were applauding last night or the scousers therein but it was the Albion fans and the great day out we had.

Anyway, thanks again.
See you next year.

A Grateful Red.

P.S I'd love to say "I hope we get Palace next round and we stick 6 past them" but I hate Selhurt Park, we've never done well there!

Reassuring to know that there are decent fans out there; pleased to hear that you got a good welcome from the Brighton fans. Would love to see Brighton play at Anfield one day!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hasn't anyone else gone to see a game as a neutral just to see a great team or a great player.I had to see Zola, Berkamp etc play. I can respect Quality and or/genius

I went to see an England v Argentina Under-21 game at Craven Cottage a few years back to see D'Alessandro, who was being hailed as the new Maradona. He was okay, but as it turned out Joe Cole wiped the floor with him that night.

I found myself applauding Gerrard yesterday, not sure why. He's the biggest 'name' we've had at the Amex, even if Suarez is the best player.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Several people at work today commented how great it was to see Brighton fans giving Gerrard a clap on his return from a long spell out of the game. On the TV it came over as a sign of respect but the roar from the crowd when Vicente came on made the applause for Gerrard insignificant , even LuaLua didn't receive such a rapturous welcome.

standbyme

Apr 16, 2011
I thought the whole point for home matches is to make it difficult for opposing players by hopefully making the atmosphere intimidating. So applauding them is pretty much going to have the reverse effect. I find aplauding opposition players very strange, but fans are a strange breed thesedays I swear most fans are only interested in taking the opposing players pictures.
weird.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think a ;ittle respect is nice and, more often that not, brings even greater respect back (as shown by the post a little above).

Sure we want to beat the opposition but to applaud a player who has stayed with his own team for all these years, is one of the giants in the current game and has just fought back from injury, is not a bad thing.

How do people feel about applauding opposition players who are stretched off then? I've even seen opposing players applauded for outstanding skill or a stunning goal. We should be big enough to appreciate that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I applauded Gerrard last night. Even if (alledgedly) he is not the greatest person off the pitch, his ability cannot be denied. For the record I never applauded opposing players when we were in the old division 1 (not even Keegan or Dalglish), but then I was a lot younger.

What I was impressed with, was that Gerrard took time out to sign autographs, acknowledged the reception he got, as did David James at Bristol City. Furthermore, he also spoke positively about Brighton at the end of the game and in my eyes came out with a lot more credibility that that cock Dalglish.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not sure what was the more embarrassing last night - applauding Gerrard during his warm up and subsequent appearance on the pitch, or the scoreboard instructing us what to chant and when ? :facepalm:

My reasons for not applauding him are quite clear:

He's not a returning ex player who left on good terms.
He didn't receive the applause for doing anything special on the pitch (I stood to applaud Gary Hooper when he got taken off the pitch injured at Withdean after scoring a class hat-trick against us for Scunthorpe).
Are we going to applaud every England international ?, and especially those that rarely play in England friendlies because wearing the shirt means bugger all to them anyway.
I have no respect for him as a person - he quite literally got out of jail free thanks to a home jury, allegedly.

The only possible reason I can see for any applause is that he's returned from a six month lay-off, but he's not our player, so so bloody what.
If the applause is just because he's been a class player, then that puts us in a bit of a quandary if and when we go up to the premiership :glare:

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Would just like to say that I'm a Liverpool fan and season ticket holder of 15 years that traveled down for last night's game and couldn't have been more impressed by the Amex, the fans and the place. Following LFC home and away has taken me to some fairly far flung places around Europe and even the world and I'm extremely lucky in that respect although my bank balance wouldn't think so.

It's hugely disappointing when I go to grounds like The Stadium of Light, The Emirates or The Riverside where they've just become big, soulless, corporate bowls to house fans of clubs with years and years of tradition (Well maybe not Middlesborough but Sunderland and Arsenal). To be honest I thought that was going to be the case last night. I'll hold my hands up and admit to not knowing a great deal about Albion or its fans before last night but any kind of negative preconceptions I may have been harbouring were quickly extinguished before I'd arrived at the stadium. Every fan we met in the alehouse was welcoming and a good laugh.

Once we got into the ground and the game kicked off the atmosphere was great (10x better than the Emirates with a 1/3 of the capacity) and there were very few of the usual dickheads who spend the whole match shouting bile directly at opposition fans without watching the game.

Anyway, back on topic, the treatment of Steven Gerrard was exceptional and showed real class on your part. To be perfectly honest I couldn't give a toss what he has (or hasn't) done for England, Liverpool are my passion and I tend to watch England in the same way I'd watch any other footy match on TV. Steven Gerrard is up there with Dalglish as the greatest footballer to pull on the red shirt and in an age we haven't been anywhere near as successful and we were in the 70s and 80s, that's a blessing. Liverpool fans always applaud quality, home or away (with the exception of Wayne Rooney who ticks every box when it comes to opposition dislike with his Blueshite/Mancshite connections). I just hope you know that it wasn't just the Albion team we were applauding last night or the scousers therein but it was the Albion fans and the great day out we had.

Anyway, thanks again.
See you next year.

A Grateful Red.

P.S I'd love to say "I hope we get Palace next round and we stick 6 past them" but I hate Selhurt Park, we've never done well there!

:thumbsup:

Reckon you were the best fans to visit so far, and hope to have you visiting next season too.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm not sure what was the more embarrassing last night - applauding Gerrard during his warm up and subsequent appearance on the pitch, or the scoreboard instructing us what to chant and when ? :facepalm:

My reasons for not applauding him are quite clear:

He's not a returning ex player who left on good terms.
He didn't receive the applause for doing anything special on the pitch (I stood to applaud Gary Hooper when he got taken off the pitch injured at Withdean after scoring a class hat-trick against us for Scunthorpe).
Are we going to applaud every England international ?, and especially those that rarely play in England friendlies because wearing the shirt means bugger all to them anyway.
I have no respect for him as a person - he quite literally got out of jail free thanks to a home jury, allegedly.

The only possible reason I can see for any applause is that he's returned from a six month lay-off, but he's not our player, so so bloody what.
If the applause is just because he's been a class player, then that puts us in a bit of a quandary if and when we go up to the premiership :glare:

Spot on. Also, why were people buying those Albion/Liverpool scarves? do they support both teams equally? will they put it in their Albion museum? will they ever wear it again? do they realise they were buying illegal merchandise?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I am probably a small minority but i don't like gerard. Think him and lampards are overrated and if they were no English just be average players. Imo

seagulls

Feb 14, 2010

Anyway, thanks again.
See you next year.

A Grateful Red.

How sweet. I was really worried about what the great liverpool thought... honest I really do give a fook. What a soft lad

Feb 14, 2010
I am probably a small minority but i don't like gerard. Think him and lampards are overrated and if they were no English just be average players. Imo

seagulls

Yep but to argue this goes against what people have been told by sky TV and so there is fat chance of many people seeing beyond the celebrity culture and actually knowing much about football. Gerrard wouldn't get close to the Barca side and yep English players like Gerrard are not much more than average

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Spot on. Also, why were people buying those Albion/Liverpool scarves? do they support both teams equally? will they put it in their Albion museum? will they ever wear it again? do they realise they were buying illegal merchandise?

Some "geezer" tried to sell me one of them for FIFTEEN QUID!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't have paid a £1 !

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I thought the whole point for home matches is to make it difficult for opposing players by hopefully making the atmosphere intimidating. So applauding them is pretty much going to have the reverse effect. I find aplauding opposition players very strange, but fans are a strange breed thesedays I swear most fans are only interested in taking the opposing players pictures.
weird.

Really?
Seems Martin Perry has a different idea.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
weird.

Hateful Millwall, Cardiff & West Ham are good on the intimidation, but it hasn't brought the supposed success or impecable home records.

LFC coming down was brilliant for the Albion. Poyet, Noone, Dalglish, Navarro, Gerrard, and Co showed class.

A few twisted individuals are gutted (worsened by the defeat by any chance?), that they can't control the masses to be as hateful as themselves. Hard lines.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Let's face it Gerrard did f*** all when he came on (much the same as most of his England appearances) so the applause didn't make too much difference. It was cringworthy though.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Hateful Millwall, Cardiff & West Ham are good on the intimidation, but it hasn't brought the supposed success or impecable home records.

LFC coming down was brilliant for the Albion. Poyet, Noone, Dalglish, Navarro, Gerrard, and Co showed class.

A few twisted individuals are gutted (worsened by the defeat by any chance?), that they can't control the masses to be as hateful as themselves. Hard lines.

This.
The spiteful on here, confuse passion for the Albion, with having to hate others, or respect great players.
Worse, they want to control others.
Sad. If they feel that bad about Steve Gerrard, they'll give themselves so much more contorted stress against Freedman, Murray, Adkins, Hammond, etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here