Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding away team players!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's a decent player...but England legend? No chance.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I would clap any player that was a legend (except a Palarse one, I'm sorry i just couldn't and wouldn't do it !)
Stevie Gerrard is not only a footballing legend but an England footballing legend !
Have some respect for players of his ilk ? YES absolutely every time !!!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I thought SG received quite a muted reception to be honest. Nothing like when Vicente made his bow. Storm in a teacup.

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
A legend who captained his team in a European Cup Final, a team 3-0 down at half time to AC Milan, before he literally dragged his team from Certain defeat into European Champions. Not to mention the amount of great goals and other medal he has won in his career.

Totally agree, he has been great and was brilliant on that night. However he was/is that brilliant player for a different team, not the Albion and that was who I was there to support.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
I agree completely with the OP. Absolutely ridiculous. Who cares if he is/was England's captain, this was Brighton v Liverpool, not England v Germany.......I honestly couldn't believe it and when the clapping had stopped I shouted PLASTICS!

Im with you on this. It wasn't a pre season friendly it was a competitive match, sod clapping him.

This is the same Gerrard that gave it the big one and kicked the sh*t out of someone in a bar because they wouldn't let him play his own music.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Completely agree. No homophobic chants, no baiting, just supporting their team..

Now there you are wrong sir. Couple of groups outside the ground giving it the usual 'town full of pooftahs' stuff. When I pointed out how aesthetically challenged thy were, in the time honoured fashion, they were firstly surprised that someone had the cheek to give it back, then burst out laughing whilst giving a thumbs up and saying ' Fair play mate!' in that cheeky, chappy, bindipper style of theirs.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
stevie g is probablythe only respectable man on the england squad. while the others are playing wife swap, he's being burgled, and even so he still puts on a great game.

gratefulred

Sep 22, 2011
Would just like to say that I'm a Liverpool fan and season ticket holder of 15 years that traveled down for last night's game and couldn't have been more impressed by the Amex, the fans and the place. Following LFC home and away has taken me to some fairly far flung places around Europe and even the world and I'm extremely lucky in that respect although my bank balance wouldn't think so.

It's hugely disappointing when I go to grounds like The Stadium of Light, The Emirates or The Riverside where they've just become big, soulless, corporate bowls to house fans of clubs with years and years of tradition (Well maybe not Middlesborough but Sunderland and Arsenal). To be honest I thought that was going to be the case last night. I'll hold my hands up and admit to not knowing a great deal about Albion or its fans before last night but any kind of negative preconceptions I may have been harbouring were quickly extinguished before I'd arrived at the stadium. Every fan we met in the alehouse was welcoming and a good laugh.

Once we got into the ground and the game kicked off the atmosphere was great (10x better than the Emirates with a 1/3 of the capacity) and there were very few of the usual dickheads who spend the whole match shouting bile directly at opposition fans without watching the game.

Anyway, back on topic, the treatment of Steven Gerrard was exceptional and showed real class on your part. To be perfectly honest I couldn't give a toss what he has (or hasn't) done for England, Liverpool are my passion and I tend to watch England in the same way I'd watch any other footy match on TV. Steven Gerrard is up there with Dalglish as the greatest footballer to pull on the red shirt and in an age we haven't been anywhere near as successful and we were in the 70s and 80s, that's a blessing. Liverpool fans always applaud quality, home or away (with the exception of Wayne Rooney who ticks every box when it comes to opposition dislike with his Blueshite/Mancshite connections). I just hope you know that it wasn't just the Albion team we were applauding last night or the scousers therein but it was the Albion fans and the great day out we had.

Anyway, thanks again.
See you next year.

A Grateful Red.

P.S I'd love to say "I hope we get Palace next round and we stick 6 past them" but I hate Selhurt Park, we've never done well there!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Cannot think of one good reason to clap Gerrard during his warm ups or when he came on.

He has never done THAT well for England. Never recaptured his club form for his country when it mattered and is part of, quite possibly, the most disappointing national squad of recent years.

He is a Liverpool legend. But an England one? No.

If an opposition scores an amazing goal or makes an amazing save etc, I will clap them.

For being fairly anonymous in an international jersey and playing for a team I couldn't care less about? No.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Would just like to say that I'm a Liverpool fan and season ticket holder of 15 years that traveled down for last night's game and couldn't have been more impressed by the Amex, the fans and the place. Following LFC home and away has taken me to some fairly far flung places around Europe and even the world and I'm extremely lucky in that respect although my bank balance wouldn't think so.

It's hugely disappointing when I go to grounds like The Stadium of Light, The Emirates or The Riverside where they've just become big, soulless, corporate bowls to house fans of clubs with years and years of tradition (Well maybe not Middlesborough but Sunderland and Arsenal). To be honest I thought that was going to be the case last night. I'll hold my hands up and admit to not knowing a great deal about Albion or its fans before last night but any kind of negative preconceptions I may have been harbouring were quickly extinguished before I'd arrived at the stadium. Every fan we met in the alehouse was welcoming and a good laugh.

Once we got into the ground and the game kicked off the atmosphere was great (10x better than the Emirates with a 1/3 of the capacity) and there were very few of the usual dickheads who spend the whole match shouting bile directly at opposition fans without watching the game.

Anyway, back on topic, the treatment of Steven Gerrard was exceptional and showed real class on your part. To be perfectly honest I couldn't give a toss what he has (or hasn't) done for England, Liverpool are my passion and I tend to watch England in the same way I'd watch any other footy match on TV. Steven Gerrard is up there with Dalglish as the greatest footballer to pull on the red shirt and in an age we haven't been anywhere near as successful and we were in the 70s and 80s, that's a blessing. Liverpool fans always applaud quality, home or away (with the exception of Wayne Rooney who ticks every box when it comes to opposition dislike with his Blueshite/Mancshite connections). I just hope you know that it wasn't just the Albion team we were applauding last night or the scousers therein but it was the Albion fans and the great day out we had.

Anyway, thanks again.
See you next year.

A Grateful Red.

P.S I'd love to say "I hope we get Palace next round and we stick 6 past them" but I hate Selhurt Park, we've never done well there!

A proper fan :clap2:. Really glad you enjoyed our new home!

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
I can't believe people are moaning over fans applauding Steven Gerrard.

He's a world class footballer, yeah I could understand if it was somebody who wasn't English but this man has played for our country 89 times and is a huge inspiration, get a grip people.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I thought SG received quite a muted reception to be honest. Nothing like when Vicente made his bow. Storm in a teacup.
And from where I was it looked as though the Liverpool fans gave Vicente a good reception too. Those saying Gerrard got a better reception than our own subs are talking crap. Yes he did get a bit of applause but our subs got more. Andy Carroll was mainly booed when warming up and the other Liverpool subs were ignored. When Gerrard came on I could see quite a few Albion politely clapping - after all he is a well-known quality English player who's been out injured for some time - but no standing ovation, except from the Liverpool fans who were on their feet all evening anyway. Storm in a teacup is exactly the right description, though these are getting more frequent on NSC these days

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Hasn't anyone else gone to see a game as a neutral just to see a great team or a great player.I had to see Zola, Berkamp etc play. I can respect Quality and or/genius

I went to Ossie Ardilles testimonial (Tottenham v Inter Milan) at White Hart Lane JUST to see Marradona play (for Tottenham!!). and he played the entire 90 minutes..

and He was brilliant.

and Liam Brady wasn't bad, but what quite possessed El tel to pop John Chiedozie close to this is still a mystery.

Ossie Ardiles' Benefit match brought exotic opposition in the shape of Internazionale of Milan, but of more interest to the Spurs crowd was the appearance of Diego Maradona in a Tottenham shirt.
His attendance ensured a sell-out crowd that put the kick-off back to allow everyone in and the game featured a feast of skill with Maradona and Hoddle linking up like they had played together all their lives.

Mark Falco gave Tottenham an early lead and Liam Brady equalised for Inter, but Clive Allen hit a late winner for Spurs, for whom Ardiles could only play a few minutes, being restricted by his knee injury.

Teams :
Spurs - Clemence (Jennings), Roberts (D. Thomas), Hughton, Mabbutt, Miller, Galvin (Samways), Ardiles (Waddle), Falco, Clive Allen, Maradona, Hoddle
Subs not used : Chiedozie, Crook
Inter Milan - Lorieri, Bernazzani, Marangon, Marini, Ferri, Mandorlini, Fanna, Cucchi, Pellegrini, Brady, Minaudo.
Subs not used : Caniato, Pozzoni, Nunziata, Cioci, Handelli
Attendance : - ,

Last edited:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
stevie g is probablythe only respectable man on the england squad. while the others are playing wife swap, he's being burgled, and even so he still puts on a great game.

No, but he does like to get 16 year olds pregnant...

tom26

May 14, 2004
Lewes Road, Brighton
Loved it when he was warming up he clapped the north stand for clapping him then when the north sang stevie give us a wave he did,only for the north to sing dirty northern bastard, to which Gerrard started laughing.

I'm in the North stand and that's how I remember it. I paused for half a second when people around me started clapping as it was highly unusual (normal behaviour "[away team's name] subs you must be shit, doo dah doo dah") and then thought "actually that's a grown up, respectful and appreciative welcome to a good player who's captained our country and is making his first appearance back on a football pitch after 6 months, at our stadium."

The man's a legend and as per the quoted post he has a sense of humour. Once that was over, the North stand ignored him, he ignored us and we got on with it. and for the record, I stood all game (as did most of the North Stand) so to say we gave him a standing ovation is ridiculous. We clapped while standing, yes - we didn't stand up especially for Gerrard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here