Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding away team players!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I applauded him when he was warming up. I also remember being in the North Stand of the Goldstone and applauding Ray Clemence the first time we played Liverpool. It's simply acknowledging that they're great players and acknowledging what they've done for England. It's not the same thing as actively cheering them when they're actually playing.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
When Gerrard was warming up all you could see from the east stand was flash bulbs going off in the lower west, and this was while the game was going on. Obviously far more important to get a picture of Gerrards back while he is warming up, than watching the game in front of you!!

Equally it was obviously far more important for you to watch people taking pictures of Gerrards back while he was warming up than watching the game in front of you!

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Hasn't anyone else gone to see a game as a neutral just to see a great team or a great player.I had to see Zola, Berkamp etc play. I can respect Quality and or/genius

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Equally it was obviously far more important for you to watch people taking pictures of Gerrards back while he was warming up than watching the game in front of you!

I was distracted for a brief second seeing the flashes, and another when I thought you sad twats, get a decent picture off the web when you get home.

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
If someone wants to clap I don't have a problem with that. What I couldn't understand was the handful of ignorant people behind me who booed Gerrard when he came on in the second half. There's nothing wrong with a bit of respect as the Peterborough fans showed earlier in the season in their applause for CMS.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I was distracted for a brief second seeing the flashes, and another when I thought you sad twats, get a decent picture off the web when you get home.

If people want to get pictures of top premier league players at the Amex it's up to them and it's not as if you see the likes of Gerrard down here on a regular basis is it? Personally i'm not into that type of thing myself but if others are then I dont see it as a problem.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If someone wants to clap I don't have a problem with that. What I couldn't understand was the handful of ignorant people behind me who booed Gerrard when he came on in the second half. There's nothing wrong with a bit of respect as the Peterborough fans showed earlier in the season in their applause for CMS.

Was it boos, maybe from some fans, but I was shouting "who" rather than "boo".

When he was warming up in the first half the north were singing "Gerrard Gerrard give us a wave" and he did and it was followed up with "dirty northern bastard" and he was laughing. I have no problem with showing respect for a decent player.

We ALWAYS use to clap the opposing keeper in the North stand at the Goldstone when he came down for the second half.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Deffo one of the best players of his generation! REALLY cannot understand our problem with showing him the respect he has earnt TBH!
Shrug

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
What's wrong with applauding a player who's been one of the best of his generation ? It's good that some of our crowd actually know enough about football generally to appreciate that players other than the Albion's can be talented. Having seen the Liverpool fans stay behind to applaud us off the pitch after coming back from two down at Anfield (and similar after they were knocked out of the Champions League by Benfica and, by general consent, there are countless other examples), I'm glad we followed that example. It's that attitude that sets a large number of their supporters apart from other big clubs who spend so much time denigrating opponents.

this
I have been proud to be a Brighton fan for the respect we have shown to opposition player like Gerrard & when teams play well, it shows we appreciate what's good about footbal, not just mindless bigots. There were many occassions at the Goldstone when the opposition scored a brilliant goal, after a moment of stunned silience the whole ground would applaud, to me that shows class.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
It's Steven Gerrard, jesus christ the man is a footballing legend, he's done so much for this country I think he deserves at least a round of applause?

And he's really great at diving!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't clap Stevie G. He's been decent for England, but I wasn't there to support England.
They applauded when we were applauding them for their turnout not for our attendance I thought.
The tannoy thanked them for bringing so many, we clapped, and they clapped.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I agree completely with the OP. Absolutely ridiculous. Who cares if he is/was England's captain, this was Brighton v Liverpool, not England v Germany.......I honestly couldn't believe it and when the clapping had stopped I shouted PLASTICS!

25 years a season ticket holder. Went to Gillingham. Go to away games. Applauded Gerrard, as former England skipper and good player returning from a long lay-off in a team we have absolutely no problem with. He also, in front of my block in the WSL, interrupted his warm-up and signed autographs for kids and disabled fans down the front. I'd be very, very interested to read your full definition of what constitutes a 'plastic' supporter. Anybody who does anything, no matter how trivial, which isn't completely one-eyed pro-Albion is now plastic? Would it be OK to, say, applaud Gary Hart if he came here as part of the coaching set-up of a Cup opponent? Or would that be plastic?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
This was truly a f***ing joke when the man received ten times the applause of our subs put together.

be fair, he has achieved slightly more than Kazenga LuaLua.........................................

Liverpool
Winner
FA Cup: 2000-01, 2005-06
League Cup: 2000-01, 2002-03
UEFA Champions League: 2004-05
UEFA Cup: 2000-01
Community Shield: 2001, 2006
European Super Cup: 2001, 2005
Runner Up
FIFA Club World Championship: 2005
League Cup: 2004-05
Charity Shield: 2002
FA Premier League: 2001-02
UEFA Champions League: 2006-07
Personal
2007 Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)
2006 PFA Player of the Year
2004–05 UEFA Champions' League Most Valuable Player
2001 PFA Young Player of the Year

Oh and captain of his country at the World Cup and 60 odd caps

You'd probably boo Pele if he came on

Last edited:

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Maybe a nice round of applause for when that chap who left us for Palace comes on the pitch (I forget his name).

That should mess with his mind and take the wind from his sails.

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke
Hang on a min,
Every ones barking on about that SG`S done for England but unless i`m missing something can anyone tell me what he has actually won for his country??

All these premiership players are over paid and thinks the world owes them something.

They don`t give a shit how much the working class man or woman has to pay to get to a game only to pay there extortionate wages.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
25 years a season ticket holder. Went to Gillingham. Go to away games. Applauded Gerrard, as former England skipper and good player returning from a long lay-off in a team we have absolutely no problem with. He also, in front of my block in the WSL, interrupted his warm-up and signed autographs for kids and disabled fans down the front. I'd be very, very interested to read your full definition of what constitutes a 'plastic' supporter. Anybody who does anything, no matter how trivial, which isn't completely one-eyed pro-Albion is now plastic? Would it be OK to, say, applaud Gary Hart if he came here as part of the coaching set-up of a Cup opponent? Or would that be plastic?

I admit, maybe Plastic was the wrong thing to say. I didn't boo him, I didn't applaud him. I don't understand the need for either, he is on the other team, he means nothing to me personally. Yes, he's been a good ambassador for our country, but our country have done nothing in footballing terms. Each to their own I suppose, I got carried away in the moment, as I always do........And to FattyJohn, very good!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here