Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding away team players!!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If you can only appreciate 50% of the players on the pitch I feel rather sorry for you. I stood and applauded SG, and was also very happy to join in the applause for David James at Bristol City.

Feb 14, 2010
If you can only appreciate 50% of the players on the pitch I feel rather sorry for you. I stood and applauded SG, and was also very happy to join in the applause for David James at Bristol City.

well what a nice bloke you are. i'm sure David James was really pleased as he got into his Bentley to drive back to his mansion. Fook sake

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think the difference in this thread is people whose interest in football is just Brighton and Hove Albion, and whose interest is in the game as a whole. There's nothing wrong with only being a Brighton fan and not caring about anything else, but there's also nothing wrong in being a fan of the entire sport. I consider myself a student of the game, I watch all levels of football from different countries and it is my one main passion in life so when I see a player of Steven Gerrard's class coming on, after 6 months out injured, I applaud because it felt like the appropriate thing to do. I'm of an age where I've grown up watching the Premier League and Gerrard came onto the scene at the time I started watching football so he has always been there, prominently in the headlines. I saw his first goal for Liverpool, against Sheffield Wednesday, and we've all seen the Olympiakos (90% sure, the Champions League goal met with "oooooooooooh you beauty!" on Sky) goal and his goal in the extraordinary Champions League final, his screamer in the FA Cup final against West Ham and alot of us will remember he scored the first of 5 (FIVE) away to Germany all those years ago! World class player, the best ever to play against Brighton in my life time, and returning from a long injury. Applause? Yep, justified.

TKC

Jun 16, 2011

It's nothing to do with appreciating oppersition players. I very much think that over players in the world other than Albion players are good. My thoughts are simply "should we be applauding them?". I for one think not, particularly when it's one of the loudest indervidual applause of the night.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
This applause was of course at the expense of our own players, who got barely anything during warm up, including a massive player in his own right like Vicente.

In the context of that, sorry, a standing ovation was OTT.

I've applauded opponents and their players plenty, but not tonight as it seemed a lot were more interested in them, rather than our own team.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
To be honest, I was appauled at the clapping for Gerard when he came on.

No matter what he has (or has not) done for England, he was the enemy tonight.

Clap him before the match, clap him after if you want to, get his autograph if you really need to, but seriously not when he comes on for the opposition. Maybe the Palace fans are right when they say our crowds are full of *plastics*.

Worst momment ever supporting the albion this season :down:

Feb 14, 2010
Stevie G is a Legend on and off the pitch. He deserves all the applause he gets.

a legend off the pitch, yeah right and on the pitch yeah he has lifted so many tropies for England, the world cup..oh.. the euro's.. oh but anyway the bloke is a true legend, Pele, Bobby Moore, Messi, nowt on Gerrard who would never kiss the badge on his chest then put in a transfer request. Dont be so soft

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Vicente got a huge reception and a roar almost everytime he touched the ball. In contrast Gerrard got nothing, as it should be. He got an applause out of respect as he warmed up, nothing more. Just shows we appreciate good football and loyalty. If you think otherwise then that's a Shame for you. If the Game was in the premier of had ment something or even the FACup, I don't think there would have been any applause.

Feb 14, 2010
Vicente got a huge reception and a roar almost everytime he touched the ball. In contrast Gerrard got nothing, as it should be. He got an applause out of respect as he warmed up, nothing more. Just shows we appreciate good football and loyalty. If you think otherwise then that's a Shame for you. If the Game was in the premier of had ment something or even the FACup, I don't think there would have been any applause.

No Captain Sensible, shame on you for being a soft lad and a happy clapper. Gerrad has won fook all for england. There is sod all to clap.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
a legend off the pitch, yeah, smacking that fella in the bar, and on the pitch yeah he has lifted so many tropies for England, the world cup..oh.. the euro's.. oh but anyway the bloke is a true legend, Pele, Bobby Moore, Messi, nowt on Gerrard who would never kiss the badge on his chest then put in a transfer request. Dont be so soft

A legend who captained his team in a European Cup Final, a team 3-0 down at half time to AC Milan, before he literally dragged his team from Certain defeat into European Champions. Not to mention the amount of great goals and other medal he has won in his career. Your just making yourself look bit silly now

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
a legend off the pitch, yeah, smacking that fella in the bar, and on the pitch yeah he has lifted so many tropies for England, the world cup..oh.. the euro's.. oh but anyway the bloke is a true legend, Pele, Bobby Moore, Messi, nowt on Gerrard who would never kiss the badge on his chest then put in a transfer request. Dont be so soft

Everyone has a right to self defense now, dont be soft

Feb 14, 2010
A legend who captained his team in a European Cup Final, a team 3-0 down at half time to AC Milan, before he literally dragged his team from Certain defeat into European Champions. Not to mention the amount of great goals and other medal he has won in his career. Your just making yourself look bit silly now[/QUOTE

join his fan club mate, but I support Brighton

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Get things into perspective, one player (England captain) gets applause.
The same player that Noone loves and idolises. Noone and co even supported Liverpool at the weekend. So I guess Noone Elphick and Navs are soft are they??!

This is utter bollocks. Albion fans were superb tonight, the noise was great and they supported the Albion magnificently. The applause for Gerrard was out of respect only. I suppose Jimmy Melia was being soft in 1983 too by some if your logic?

Out of 22k crowd, some will disagree but that's football. Goodnight, and well done Albion Fans, you were quality.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
yes right of course, lets all join his fan club, can you send me a red scarf as well?

I think he has Been the Best English Player over the last ten years. I respect him as a man and as a footballer. Fan club, nah, wouldn't go that far. Definately a world class player who deserves the applause he gets

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Get things into perspective, one player (England captain) gets applause.
The same player that Noone loves and idolises. Noone and co even supported Liverpool at the weekend. So I guess Noone Elphick and Navs are soft are they??!

This is utter bollocks. Albion fans were superb tonight, the noise was great and they supported the Albion magnificently. The applause for Gerrard was out of respect only. I suppose Jimmy Melia was being soft in 1983 too by some if your logic?

Out of 22k crowd, some will disagree but that's football. Goodnight, and well done Albion Fans, you were quality.

This

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here