Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding away team players!!

Big crowd gathered outside after the game purely (well ok, mainly) for Gerrard yet he walked straight onto the coach and totally blanked them. Bellamy, Carra and Kuyt were more then happy to sign programs however. Dirk shook my hand and now I'm going to whack off with it.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Some people appreciate brilliant players. I am one of them, I applauded him.

This. For me, he has been one of the best players of my generation growing up watching football. I applauded him today and would do again tomorrow.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
It did not take from our fans support of the Albion, and I really believe he is the ONLY current player that would ever get applauded that didn't have an Albion connection. e.g I can't see Rooney or Lampard getting applauded. No way.

Sorry, but I disagree. Our fans gave Gerrard a STANDING OVATION for warming up. I didn't even realise our subs were warming up for ages as there was barely a recognition of that as far as I could tell.

Don't actually mind applauding an opposition player as such - but when it is CONSIDERABLY more than our own players get, yes I object.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I thought the reaction to Stevie G was great. One of my favourite non Albion players of the last 10 years and a genuine world class player who has done a lot for English football over the years. Fully deserved.

I hope we would do the same if Rooney or Becks played at The Amex.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I applauded him. He's a great player & been out for ages with a serious injury, so why not show him some respect?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
FFS it was a cup game that means nothing compared to Leeds and Palace, especially Palace!!!!
Showed us to be a decent support, SG gets applauded at ST.James's Park and no one thinks it makes them look tin pot. Bollocks, I think it showed what a quality club we are.

This. I can't understand why some many get embarrassed at what other fans do. We all support the Albion in different ways and we're not clones.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Loved it when he was warming up he clapped the north stand for clapping him then when the north sang stevie give us a wave he did,only for the north to sing dirty northern bastard, to which Gerrard started laughing.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I agree completely with the OP. Absolutely ridiculous. Who cares if he is/was England's captain, this was Brighton v Liverpool, not England v Germany.......I honestly couldn't believe it and when the clapping had stopped I shouted PLASTICS!

Hah! you were the guy doing the Tourettes impersonation then.

Judging by the amount of applause for Gerrard tonight, your opinion is in such a small (small minded) minority that it's really best ignored (a bit like the pitch invaders I suppose)

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Why should we clap any england players they have done nothing since '66 only play so they can tick the box and most often dont turn up! Clap your own, we were not at an england game

goodoldsussexbythesea

North Stand STH
Sep 2, 2011
Westdene
He was the only player that wasn't a complete f***ing shambles in the World Cup. Plus he's been class for England since he started playing for us. If it was David Beckham would you applaud? I think you would.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4399599 said:
Yeah booing Bellamy worked didn't it.... :facepalm:

Not to mention the customary anti welsh chants too. Utterly cringeworthy.

I clapped Gerrard because he is one of the greatest players of his generation & i've loved watching him in an England shirt over the years.

Feb 14, 2010
Tweet from Garry Nelson

"Proper football fans acknowledging great talent when they see it - Albion fans applauding Stevie G - good to see!"

Nuff Said!

Gary Nelson is an ex player, and they love hero worship of other players. Its, soft, its sad and if you dont get that then bloody eck.

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
He was the only player that wasn't a complete f***ing shambles in the World Cup. Plus he's been class for England since he started playing for us. If it was David Beckham would you applaud? I think you would.

If he's the opposition, 100% no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here