Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody else having a truly woeful 2012?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
2008 - shit
2009 - shittier
2010 - really shit
2011 - still shit
2012 - shit

After a while you just get used to shit. :down:

Yeah. OR, you say "I don't like shit anymore, so I'm not going to take it. I'm going to turn things around".

Most people who have successful and enjoyable lives aren't just given it, they work for it. Some are gifted it on a plate, yes, but most aren't. Do something about it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I had a dreadful 2009, 2010 was a bit better (third child came along in November), but I had a great 2011 and I'm really enjoying 2012 even more. Can't wait for the Olympics to start!

Pleased for you Simster. Well done mate.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yeah. OR, you say "I don't like shit anymore, so I'm not going to take it. I'm going to turn things around".

Most people who have successful and enjoyable lives aren't just given it, they work for it. Some are gifted it on a plate, yes, but most aren't. Do something about it.

You make me laugh. You assume I have done nothing to try and improve my situation. Unbelievable really.

I'm in the "having a great year camp"

Job going well.
Wife just promoted and in the last 12 months salary gone up by 40% and earning double mine, thank god for joint account.
Daughters x2 healthy.
Grand kids x 4 healthy and happy.

Some minor setbacks but all in all good year so far.

Sorry for everyone who isn't.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
When you get to the age where the end is in sight all years are good years regardless of what happens. Enjoy the bits in life you can and let the rest go over your head :lol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pleased for you Simster. Well done mate.
Thank you Gareth. :)

Personally, I feel sad for the people having a crap 2012, especially for those where it has come as something of a shock after a few years of ticking along happily. Sometimes there is little you can do about things, and it feels your life is built on sand. However, try and stay positive and look to change your life where you can.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's been so-so if I'm honest on a number of grounds.

But, when it comes down to it, almost nomatter what happens to me, I'm better off than a good 99% of the people on this planet and the same can be said for almost everyone on NSC too. It can be difficult to remember the cliche "there are others worse off than yourself" but it's true - there are literally billions of people who would have your life if they could.

Health problems for you or those you love can be really tough, but it's considerably better to have those problems in the UK than many other parts of the world.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You make me laugh. You assume I have done nothing to try and improve my situation. Unbelievable really.

I assume you haven't done anything to improve it that actually worked. So therefore, you are clearly doing the wrong things.

We all know the mortgage market went tits up, which was your profession. So in your 5 years of 'shit', you could have looked at what wasn't being affected so much, and what kind of industry was booming, and re-trained in that, rather than wallowing in pity. I know a few people in a similar situation, and that's exactly what they did. They're having a great 2012, despite having been through some tough times.

Instead, as you've told us all many times, you've just been applying over and over again for jobs that you aren't going to get because you have completely the wrong skill set. I think it was Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result. Well he was right.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's been so-so if I'm honest on a number of grounds.

But, when it comes down to it, almost nomatter what happens to me, I'm better off than a good 99% of the people on this planet and the same can be said for almost everyone on NSC too. It can be difficult to remember the cliche "there are others worse off than yourself" but it's true - there are literally billions of people who would have your life if they could.

Health problems for you or those you love can be really tough, but it's considerably better to have those problems in the UK than many other parts of the world.

Yes. That.

As an aside to this thread though - do people REALLY break their lives down, neatly into calendar years?

I've had tough moments, in an otherwise pretty happy life, but I couldn't begin to tell you when they actually were.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Exactly. Nobody on this thread is homeless on the streets of India, or living in starvation in Africa. At least I assume they're not, anyway. Apologies US, if I've miss-read your situation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Instead, as you've told us all many times, you've just been applying over and over again for jobs that you aren't going to get because you have completely the wrong skill set. I think it was Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result. Well he was right.

This is true, but didn't Einstein also say "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

So stop judging US by his ability to get a job, and celebrate the things he is good at. This is a guy who has helped raise thousands of pounds for a local charity, has jumped from a plane, is writing a book on his favourite subject and has appeared on Mastermind. To suggest he's 'done nothing' is not fair.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
Yes. That.

As an aside to this thread though - do people REALLY break their lives down, neatly into calendar years?

I've had tough moments, in an otherwise pretty happy life, but I couldn't begin to tell you when they actually were.

I'm in this camp too. Definitely so-so. It's been a lot harder to adjust than I was expecting to come back to the UK after being abroad for so long; I nearly lost my job, and its taken me too long to get my house into some sort of reasonable shape, but both kids are healthy and a constant source of amusement (although very tiring), I am gainfully employed, the sun's out and the footy season is approcahing. All I need now is a holiday to recharge my batteries...

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
A real can of worms opened here. The problem here is that some people have such a good life that they hit a bump and think the world has ended.

On the hand some people have such a hard life anyway that when something good happens. They are really made up by it.

Me, I just try to grind away in the right direction. Good times and trying times. On balance I would have to say I am very lucky.

It's not all about one year. If you judge your life by only one year you are only taking into account 1.2% of your life expectancy. Some years are better than others. But life as a whole has been good to me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So stop judging US by his ability to get a job, and celebrate the things he is good at. This is a guy who has helped raise thousands of pounds for a local charity, has jumped from a plane, is writing a book on his favourite subject and has appeared on Mastermind. To suggest he's 'done nothing' is not fair.
He's a facebook friend of mine actually and I understand from this that he is running a marathon too. That takes spirit and guts*, so fair play to US for that.

*unless you're virtually going to walk it, like that moron HB&B, in which case it is taking the piss.

Stumpy Tim

I am glad all your family are well, hope nothing happens to your kids, also hope you dont end up having open heart surgery (like me ) also glad you can afford a holiday (6months off work on ssp has used all my savings ) so if i come across as a misrable fucker SOD YOU I DONT CARE

To be fair, you're right. I should have countered what I said with things like health issues like you've had, as well as people who are clinically depressed - though that isn't being miserable, that's uncontrollable. So I apologise to you [MENTION=21451]ifuhatepalacestandup[/MENTION].

My general point does stand though. There are too many people wallowing in pity about things that may seem bad, but aren't. And the people with a positive attitude are the ones that succeed.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No haveing a really good year at the moment

Got a new position in my company which means I get to go to Ireland, france and sweden fairly regularily ( no more money though!)
life is good
work is good
happily married ( our 30th last April)
Both my girls doing really well at their respective jobs.
going on holiday for two weeks in three weeks time.

:drool:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
f*** me u are one nasty vicious bastard commander

Blimey, I'd say that's probably a tad harsh. Possibly the worst thing I've ever been called on here, and that's saying something.

I'm sorry about your heart surgery, I said before that you can change some things, health isn't necessarily one of them. My issue is with people who moan about their situation, but refuse to do anything constructive about it. I don't think that makes me a nasty vicious bastard, but you, of course, are free to disagree.

Oh and for the record I haven't exactly had a particularly easy time of it the last couple of years, as others will be able to testify. But there you go, moan and worry about the things you cant change, not the ones you can. Life is good.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
To be fair, you're right. I should have countered what I said with things like health issues like you've had, as well as people who are clinically depressed - though that isn't being miserable, that's uncontrollable. So I apologise to you [MENTION=21451]ifuhatepalacestandup[/MENTION].

My general point does stand though. There are too many people wallowing in pity about things that may seem bad, but aren't. And the people with a positive attitude are the ones that succeed.

That's the point though isn't it? The things you can control, adapt to or minimise the impact of. Certainly health is one of those things but there are other hugely tragic things that happen to people (criminal acts, unexpected bereavement, accidents and a whole host of others) that can completely up end one's life. I have huge empathy for those people, most who don't actually moan about it but get on with it as best they can.

That was my point. Good on you for having a good time and I genuinely hope it continues for you but spare a thought for those less fortunate and are having a hard time - and I am not one of those by the way despite my 2012 being shit which was only the Q raised at the outset.

Hope that's a truce!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here