Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams on Mayo :( and Currie

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
CV's in the post.

Looking for suggestions for key words and phrases.....

Already got, slow, inept, can kick the ball really high and love Brighton.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
If Mayo manages to get a new contract, it will be an absolutely shocking decision by Adam's. I agree that yes he's been a good player for us, but he is sooooooooo slow now. Think that shone through when he was skinned multiple times by a 12 year old Worthing right winger. I'd much rather have that Haswell as a back up than Mayo. Looked quite good going forward yesterday and made a few decent tackles, not that we were tested much defensively by Worthing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If Mayo manages to get a new contract, it will be an absolutely shocking decision by Adam's.
Very much doubt Mayo would have got a run out yesterday if there wasn't the intention of giving him a contract. Rubbish decision, Micky or no Micky, and one that doesn't help the club build in any way for the future. Maybe there should be a rule that a player HAS to piss off after they've been given a testimonial. For their own good, as much as for the good of the club. Leave on a high, with the fans' best wishes. Not like this current debacle which is in nobody's best interests.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
stop moaning. lynch can play left back as can livermore can elabd too? mayo would be a squad player simple as. would like to see someone like a richards or harding come in. all this nonsense really does make wilkins look bad. rents deserved another year to be given a chance.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Very much doubt Mayo would have got a run out yesterday if there wasn't the intention of giving him a contract. Rubbish decision, Micky or no Micky, and one that doesn't help the club build in any way for the future. Maybe there should be a rule that a player HAS to piss off after they've been given a testimonial. For their own good, as much as for the good of the club. Leave on a high, with the fans' best wishes. Not like this current debacle which is in nobody's best interests.

Except the club's.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004

The only thing we can cling hope onto is that we have no other left backs at the club so it was literally just to fill a gap. Adams did say he was going to give him a good pre season to help fitness, but he also said that about Hart and he never made an appearance. Although Mayo played a bit at left midfield didnt he? Dont agree with testimonial comment, if he's a good player then keep him; in Mayo's case he's not.

would like to see someone like a richards or harding come in.

HARDING?!?!?!?! :thud: Did you not hear or witness the reaction he got at Leeds, i'll remind you. Passionately booed everytime he got near the ball, and an erruption of cheering when Oatway hacked him to the ground. The man is a complete c**t. Promised he'd sign a new contract then fucks off to Leeds at his earliest convenience to grab some money. I'll admit he showed flashes of pure brilliance with us that got him a call up to the U21's, but the amount of errors he made was shocking, probably cost us more points than he saved. Ipswich don't rate him, Leeds didn't rate him so much that they used him as a make-weight in a deal to bring Westlake to them, who they ended up loaning out to us last year. So please tell me why on earth we'd want him back? And don't use 'we need a new left back' as there are clearly better options out there, Michel at left back being one of them.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I don't subscribe to the idea that Kerry Mayo cares so much about the club that he's turned down deals elsewhere. Any evidence that there's ever been the slightest snifter of interest from any other League club for the bloke? That's not loyalty, that's wanting to stay employed instead of unemployed. Kerry knows how to play the system, and it always involves catching the eye of the manager in pre-season and getting that new contract under the belt. If he wasn't a left-sided defender, there's no way he would feature in any plans for the future at this stage. About the only good thing that can be said about Kerry Mayo is that he isn't Dodgy Dan Harding.

I don't know anything concrete so can't really comment, but I believe from stuff read on here and people who know him that there were offers (loan and permanent) last season, and I can't imagine there hasn't been offers of some sort (even conference) this summer.

I'm not necessarily saying that Mayo "cares so much about the club", I'm sure a lot of it is due to being settled, convenience etc, but the bottom line is that he wants to be a part of this club.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
No, I'm not doing that at all. I read this website, I have friends who support the albion, and I speak to fans. Unless I simply surround myself with Mayo-haters, I think it's fair to say more people don't want him than do. I've already said I haven't done a survey, but then there has never been a survey to decide whether the albion fans like Bobby Zamora, and if I said 'the majority of fans like Zamora' you wouldn't debate it.

Yes you have. Until you run a survey of all those fans that attend games you can't pass anything off as fact. For instance I think you're a total dickhead but thats only my opinion, it's not fact. I'd have to survey all the people that know you to prove it as fact.

Comparing Mayo to Zamora is pretty much pointless, he's not in Zamora's class which is why he is going to be a squad player for us, not the best solution to the problem but it'll work.

As for the comment ( Tony W) that Mayo is the worse player to wear the stripes in 30 years ...... total utter bollocks Poney mohaney-johnson anyone

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Exactly! Does anyone seriously think he chose to come back to our pre-season training over taking a contract at another club?

Your imagination goes in to overdrive when contemplating football. It is usual for you to put two and two together and to come up with the answer of five. Mayo was expected to go with the squad to Ireland, yet he didn't. Why do you think that was? See if you can put two and two together and come up with the correct answer for once.

As somebody pointed out on this thread,
"There does seem to be an element of our support who seem to pick a player and can't wait for the first poor pass or missed tackle to get on their backs. All the time being remaining totally oblivious to the errors of their preferred players."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The whole crux of the matter is that he probably had other options but not ones which exactly filled him with joy. He obviously thought that he could possibly geta new contract with us if he showed his worth and according to MA he has performed well in training etc. So full marks to him for having the balls to believe in his own ability and then to prove his point. As I have said I think that he has limitations but if MA considers signing him would be to our advantage then so be it and good luck to him.

chickrun

Sep 13, 2006
surrey
Mayo proved last season that he is a good back up to a regular full back. Rents was too light weight and certainly not the type of full back Adams favours and I also think that although an improvement on the others, Richards falls into the same category. I am sure Adams will bring in a new left back but I am sure it will be a bigger, stronger player than Richards. Personally I would be happy with Richards,but think if he was coming here the rumours would be stronger.So I guess either he is holding out for something better or Micky is looking elsewhere(europe!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here