Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams on Mayo :( and Currie

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Well I talk to fans, listen to people at games etc and I would say the majority recognise that although Mayo is not a preferred option at left back he is useful to provide much needed cover in times of injury and suspension. Seems to be a view shared by both our previous managers and our current one.

I would not say I hear anymore negative comments about Mayo than Kuipers (one of your favourites) which I would argue is equally unjust

There does seem to be an element of our support who seem to pick a player and can't wait for the first poor pass or missed tackle to get on their backs. All the time being remaining totally oblivious to the errors of their preferred players.

Kerry Mayo is far from the best left back we have ever seen but some of the comments on here about him are just total shite. Whatever you think about him he has played professional football for more years than most the muppets on here could ever dream to. You don't do that without having some ability whatever some of the keyboard managers on here think

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
They were linked with Nicky Shorey of Reading so wont want both, and we cant afford Shorey's wages.

Dont get me wrong, id love to see it happen, but if he thinks hes good enough for the FA Cup winners and team chasing european places, then i doubt hed think about coming here.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Also, he was offered the same deal by the same Spanish club during this pre-season wasn't he? So surely, that proves there is interest in him. Well according to the Argus anyway.

I dont really understand how one player can be hated so much by a minority, yes we know he's not the best in the squad, we all know that.

God help Joe Gatting if Mayo doesn't get a new deal, as he'll get exactly the same abuse now. Just think what it does to a players confidence, some of the youngesters post on here, and will pass on the comments to players. How do you think that made them feel, BrightonBear was an Albion player and stuck up for every member of the squad when he posted on here, so that proves that it's a tightly-nit squad who stick together.

And what's the difference between Mayo and Reid? Why does he deserve a deal and is hardly ever criticised on here?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Rather have Mathew Spring.He scores goals and has age on his side.

Kerry Mayo is far from the best left back we have ever seen but some of the comments on here about him are just total shite. Whatever you think about him he has played professional football for more years than most the muppets on here could ever dream to. You don't do that without having some ability whatever some of the keyboard managers on here think

Mayo has played for how many Professional Football Managers and has managed to show ALL of them enough to keep him on the playing staff for 12 years now? All of them except one that is and that one thankfully is no longer at the club. I'll trust the professional manager on this one...

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
I think that Steve Gritt, Brian Horton, Mickey Adams, Steve Coppell, Peter Taylor, Mark McGhee and Dean Wilkins were all WRONG and I am right that Mayo is rubbish but I have Championship Manager and play it more than they do. End of argument.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I have no problem with Kerry. I have never understood why he is so despised.

He makes no more mistakes than Lynch/elphick/butters/richards/el Abd etc yet Kerrys mistakes always get picked up on

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
In reply to the posters above regarding shattering players confidences.

Do me a favour!

NSC at best is a very small cross section of fans.

We all know that players read these forums and some probably post here.

Well I'm sorry, but if they can't take criticism (justified or not) then they should really find another career.

People pay good money and if they are not happy with the product they are entitled to thier opinion whether the player or other fans like it or not.

Nobody, players, or fans has to open threads that they might not like the content of.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He makes no more mistakes than Lynch/elphick/butters/richards/el Abd etc yet Kerrys mistakes always get picked up on

Not necessarily MISTAKES as such, but his lack of pace really IS an issue, whatever anyone tries to argue. It would cost us points.

I happy that Mayo is getting another year as long as its as cover at LB

I see nothing wrong with Mayo signing on lower wages, good back up

Agreed. As long as its just cover, and as long as its CHEAP.

BrightonBear was an Albion player and stuck up for every member of the squad when he posted on here,

No he wasn't.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Wasn't it Coppell, who said Kerry was one of the best left backs outside of the Premiership?:ohmy:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I'm going to chip in and say I'm against the idea.

Not because I particularly despise Mayo, although I do believe he is a relative weak link in the squad.

I think it's just a bit of disappointment, in that we do alright last season, but sack the manager anyway, then my shock at that was in some way dissipated by the appointment of a new manager, so I'm thinking, great, fresh start, new broom etc.

But instead I just seem to be seeing the same old faces reappearing, including ones (sorry Mayo but its true) who did nothing last season to justify being kept on, actually got to the point of being released, and then are thrown a lifeline for some inexplicable reason.

I keep seeing people saying "well he'll make a good back up". For who?? Which other left backs do we have that Mayo can back up?? At the moment, he's the only one we have, which suggests he'll be first choice. That in itself makes me nervous, as I foresee the same situation that we always find ourselves in: Mayo gets in the side, has a couple of reasonable games, then inevitably follows up with a shocker, and the crowd get on his back.

If he's the first choice, it's a telling indictment of the quality of left backs at this level, if he's not, well I really don't see the point in keeping him on, as we have other players who can fill the role in an emergency.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I have to say, I roughly agree with the last poster.

If we were going to give a left-back a second chance as it were surely it should be Sam Rents. I want progress, us to be signing exciting talents not past-it utility players. There is a place for these 'back-up' signings but as long as we're not wasting too many resources on them. With our limited resources tehre is little room for sentiment.

However, i don't like slagging off new manager decision because that's exactly what they are - new. We've got to wait and see what Adams can do with his signings, not what Wilkins did with them.

The thing that slightly worries me is that, as far as we know, when Hart and mayo were clearly out of favour no other clubs moved for them (though they may of and perhaps we turned it down) I think there was a loan offer for Reid (I think it was Reid) but nothing substantial. Can anything be read into this?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It's all very well being committed and being professional but can you imagine Ferguson or Wenger picking someone on that basis when you know their other weaknesses. In order to be successful, you need a ruthless streak and I'm not sure Adams has that.

If you want a "nice bloke" in the dressing room, give Kerry a coaching role.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is it REALLY that hard to find a left-sided defender 'at this level'? I suspect not. How hard are we actually LOOKING? Maybe if Mayo was just told to piss off and was not let anywhere near the pre-season set up, minds would be properly focussed, rather than taking the easy cheap just-about-get-away-with-it option :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here