Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams on Mayo :( and Currie

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Firstly, you're definitely reading too much into my 'vocabulary.' Quite who made you the linguistics expert I don't know. I'll write how I want, you write how you want. Let's leave it at that.

As for Mayo, to be honest I stand by 'desperate.' I will give you my reasons. For a start, if he had received a decent offer (ie one from a league club somewhere vaguely near Brighton) he'd be signed up and long gone by now. The fact his offers have obviously been unsuitable thus far suggest to me he'd do ANYTHING for a new contract with us. Indeed, the fact he's simply TRAINING with us instead of signing elsewhere proves how awful those offers must be. Realistically, he knows his current level of performance won't entice a new league one club, so playing the loyalty card with us is the only way to stay at this level. All in all, we're the only way he can prevent falling into non-league obscurity. I guess others could be placed in this bracket too, but as news of their contracts aren't on the argus back page I am seen to be going on about Mayo. If, in your opinion, Mayo isn't desperate for an albion contract, do you honestly feel there is any chance he would turn one down?

What is it they say about assumption being the mother of all f***-ups? It's hard to know where to start with what Clapham Gull rightly calls 'some of the finest crap on here'.

Let's just say that you're wrong to think Mayo is 'desperate' to join the Albion. How do I know? I asked him. A chance meeting in, of all places, Asda on Sunday. I f***ing hate it in there, but needs must. I asked him if the rumours about his imminent return were true. He didn't even know he was in the running for a contract offer, nor what Micky had said on the Albion website, merely stated that he was training with Albion while he ponders his next move. "Blimey, it would be nice..." he said.

You might call that 'desperate', but then it appears your vocabulary is not only limited, but erroneous.

Of course, he could be lying through his arse, but ordinarily I'll take his word about his professional life above your word about his professional life any day.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am sure he is desperate for a contract here. He supports the club, his kids are in Sussex and he has been here his whole career. If I was a Brighton fan and never destined to play in the upper echelons of the football league (without the club) then I would be desperate to stay with Brighton.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The Large One, you have given me the answer I wanted.

"blimey it would be nice."

In my book, that means he's got nothing lined up anywhere near as good as playing for us. Why else say it?

Or perhaps it would be nice because he doesn't have to uproot a family?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If you put it like that then there aren't any within an hour of Peacehaven, but he could conceivably play for someone like Gillingham, Brentford or Orient without moving home.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Most clubs like their players to live within 1 hours drive although they do allow exceptions but I wouldnt think that a Div 1 side would unless the man was an essential part of the team as Guy was for most of the time a indeed he was at Gillingham.

Alan Mullery was sacked the last time because he wouldnt move nearer to Brighton when he lived at Banstead. At the time I always said I could drive from Banstead quicker than Martin Hinshlewood could drive from Selsey.

Chelsea have to live within 45 mins of the training ground.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Large One, you have given me the answer I wanted.

"blimey it would be nice."

In my book, that means he's got nothing lined up anywhere near as good as playing for us. Why else say it?

Jesus wept.

'It would be nice [to play for Brighton]' to you means that he has not had another offer from another club and that he is desperate? You and the English language are on just vague nodding terms, aren't you? Talking about putting 2 and 2 together, coming up with whatever answer you want, without any coherent reasoning behind it and peddling it as a gilt-edged reason.

Words fail me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brentford
Orient
Gillingham
Luton
Millwall
Barnet
Colchester
Bournemouth
Southend
Dagenham

QUOTE]

Scrub out as being too far to travel everyday for training:

Gillingham
Luton
Barnet
Colchester
Bournemouth
Possibly Southend and Dagenham.

Leaves Orient Millwall Brentford.

Ask anybody who travelled to Gillingham if they would want to do that journey everyday for a couple of hours training.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...quite right, they were paying for the privelage!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you consider the wages paid by Conference sides against popssibly what a team like Gillingham would pay and then take off travel expenses and time and fatigue it probably evens out.

Clive Walker told me that he earnt more at Woking than he ever did at Brighton and Steve Evans said on SCR that when he took over at Crawley a large number of players were on more than £1500 per week part time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here