Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams on Mayo :( and Currie

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
If you consider the wages paid by Conference sides against popssibly what a team like Gillingham would pay and then take off travel expenses and time and fatigue it probably evens out.

Clive Walker told me that he earnt more at Woking than he ever did at Brighton and Steve Evans said on SCR that when he took over at Crawley a large number of players were on more than £1500 per week part time.

Crawley were ridiculously mis-managed though so I wouldn't take that as much of an indication of wages paid. I've no idea who Clive Walker is or when he played for either side so can't comment.

I presume that if he went to Gillingham every day he would still end up with more cash than at Crawley or Lewes ect.

I think this is a bit of pointless discussion anyway as have almost no doubt he will be here next year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BensGrandad, if Guy Butters can do Southampton to Gillingham and Southampton to Brighton every day for 10 years, then Brighton to any of those is more than realistic.

I do not profess to know about Guy Butters wage but when he was at Gillingham he was an established experienced player so his wage possibly, and I do say possibly, compensated the travel in his eyes. When he came to Brighton he would have seen it as cutting his travelling time in half and perhaps his wage didnt alter much. I dont know just offering a possible answer.

Scrub out as being too far to travel everyday for training:

Gillingham
Luton
Barnet
Colchester
Bournemouth
Possibly Southend and Dagenham.

Leaves Orient Millwall Brentford.

Ask anybody who travelled to Gillingham if they would want to do that journey everyday for a couple of hours training.

I drove from Rudgwick to GSK's HQ in Brentford (5 mins walk from Griffin Park) every morning for years and used to have to leave by 6:45 to be there for 9:00, It's just over 40 miles and we're 35 minutes from the M25 at J10 (A3). Can't see how either Orient or Millwall will be any better - 2hrs+ in the car and then training? You are joking Tadger.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You know nothing about my grasp of the english language so stop being a pompous prick as usual. Just because someone doesn't agree with you (and guess what, most people probably don't) it doesn't require a character assessment from a meaningless random like you.

Your grasp of the English language, tonight at least, appears tenuous. It is limited - 'pompous prick', 'meaningless random' (random is an adjective, not a noun). Your use of the word 'desperate' is, at best, misguided. Why do you have to use such emotive language to state an argument or thought? Where's the sense of proportion?

It's not about whether you agree with me, or whether I agree with you. One can't agree or disagree on a subject when an argument is doesn't stack up. Let's get this straight.

You, without consideration to actually asking the fella, or gathering any evidence, have decided you know Kerry's state of mind, and have called him 'desperate'.

You, without any evidence, repeat the notion that because he's training with the Albion, and the because the Albion might offer him a contract, and that he likes that idea, that he's had no decent offer anywhere else, and, as a result, once again call him 'desperate'. You don't know this, but you make this amazing leap of logic - and pass it off as obvious.

I could argue with you on the Albion player level if your argument made coherent sense, but tonight your logic is hopelessly f***ed. It's evident you don't like Kerry Mayo - that's up to you - but I've never read an of this stuff from you about other players, so why are you applying this twisted logic only to him?

So pack it in with the name calling. If I was so meaningless, you wouldn't respond to me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is the whole point he wants to be with his family not in a hotel. To get to any of the places you mention for 10am training would mean leaving Brighton about 7.30, but if you left at 6.30 you would be there at 8.00am. So it is not practical.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Well combined with the inconvenience of moving and/or commuting and that it's good having a club on your doorstep, there are also factors to consider such as the fact he's used to us, he knows all the staff, he supports us, that he enjoys playing under Mickey Adams etc etc. Taking those into account, surely you agree that a contract with the Albion would indeed be 'nice'. ???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Wonderful. Here we have a moron who would obviously appreciate Guy Butters explaining how he managed to hold down a career in Gillingham and Brighton for 10 years while living in Southampton.

Ah, so because Guy did it, everyone should do it, irrespective of everyone's circumstances.

Besides, according to Hiney, Guy can do Southampton to Brighton in well under half an hour.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well combined with the inconvenience of moving and/or commuting and that it's good having a club on your doorstep, there are also factors to consider such as the fact he's used to us, he knows all the staff, he supports us, that he enjoys playing under Mickey Adams etc etc. Taking those into account, surely you agree that a contract with the Albion would indeed be 'nice'. ???

No, it's 'desperate'. Apparently.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I drove from Rudgwick to GSK's HQ in Brentford (5 mins walk from Griffin Park) every morning for years and used to have to leave by 6:45 to be there for 9:00, It's just over 40 miles and we're 35 minutes from the M25 at J10 (A3). Can't see how either Orient or Millwall will be any better - 2hrs+ in the car and then training? You are joking Tadger.

I would agree with you I lived for many years in Ewell about 1 mile from Tolworth Towers/ underpass and to get into London I had to be left before 7.00am if not I stayed at home until about 8.45 and drove up to my office and got there about 10am. That was when the M25 had just opened and traffic has got worse since then.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes, I know that if the club didn't want him he'd be gone, but how is that relevant to whether he's desperate or not? Do you think he'd get a contract with another league one, or even two, club? If your answer is no (and the real answer is no, I'm sure, else he would have gone by now), then would it not be reasonable to assume he IS desperate for a contract with us?

How is whether is he is "desperate" (in your words) relavent to whether the club would take him on or it ?

I'm struggling to see what your point is and you've havent explained the "loyalty card" bit.

What's happened is that after posting a load of old bollocks you are now focusing on a single part of your argument.

You seem to be implying that if he is good enough for the Albion, then he'd be good enough for a lot of other teams and therefore would have been off. That borders on the surreal to be honest. I'm starting a new job this week and am not really wondering that if I'm good enough for this job why aren't loads of others falling in my lap.

I would have thought Kerry would very much prefer to stay and if there is a small chance he could, then he of course he is sticking around to see what happens. Same thing happened to me a few years ago, I was on the scrap heap but there was a small chance I would be offered another role. I stuck around and I got it.

I wasn't "desperate", just that it was more likely I got the role if I er..."stuck around". If I had actually been looking round for another job at that point, probably wouldn't have got it.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You're meaningless in the sense that we don't know each other. In terms of this messageboard you're as significant as anyone else. However, as we don't know each other, insulting my intelligence is uncalled for and has no basis. I could be as thick as shit, I could be a budding young Einstein - you don't know.

I will explain my logic once more. I accept you won't agree with it, but either argue with me or ignore me rather than criticise my use of english! Kerry Mayo was rightly released in May. In the time since then, many other footballers have found new clubs. As contracts expire on 30th June, most will want the security of a new club before that date so that money continues to land in their bank account each week/month. As I have done all night, I will continue to offer the opinion that Kerry Mayo (and arguably some of the other players we released who are avoiding the attention tonight, somewhat unfairly on Mayo I suppose) did not receive a satisfactory offer from a club at a level close to ours. If he had had one, he would not be here now on a glorified trial with us. He would be earning his money elsewhere. I think the fact he wants to TRAIN with us instead of take an offer elsewhere shows that he either hasn't had other offers, or that they were shit ones. I don't know which, but I do think that makes him DESPERATE for a new deal with us. There's no way he'd turn it down, because he's not going to get anything as good elsewhere. Shoot me down in flames for that if you like, but I think I'm right.

As I said, I could apply this to other players, but they're not on the back page of the argus today.

.. but he wasn't the only one released who continued to train so was he.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it not possible that when he knew MA had taken over he thought ' I have played for him before and he liked me perhaps if I could train with them I might be able to convince him that he should offer me another contract'. If not I can always sign for somebody else during August or September as I will be afree agent.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is it not possible that when he knew MA had taken over he thought ' I have played for him before and he liked me perhaps if I could train with them I might be able to convince him that he should offer me another contract'. If not I can always sign for somebody else during August or September as I will be afree agent.

Apparently not, on the basis that the traffic between Southampton and Brighton can be horrendous (or something like that)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here