Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams on Mayo :( and Currie

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You're meaningless in the sense that we don't know each other. In terms of this messageboard you're as significant as anyone else. However, as we don't know each other, insulting my intelligence is uncalled for and has no basis. I could be as thick as shit, I could be a budding young Einstein - you don't know.

I will explain my logic once more. I accept you won't agree with it, but either argue with me or ignore me rather than criticise my use of english! Kerry Mayo was rightly released in May. In the time since then, many other footballers have found new clubs. As contracts expire on 30th June, most will want the security of a new club before that date so that money continues to land in their bank account each week/month. As I have done all night, I will continue to offer the opinion that Kerry Mayo (and arguably some of the other players we released who are avoiding the attention tonight, somewhat unfairly on Mayo I suppose) did not receive a satisfactory offer from a club at a level close to ours. If he had had one, he would not be here now on a glorified trial with us. He would be earning his money elsewhere. I think the fact he wants to TRAIN with us instead of take an offer elsewhere shows that he either hasn't had other offers, or that they were shit ones. I don't know which, but I do think that makes him DESPERATE for a new deal with us. There's no way he'd turn it down, because he's not going to get anything as good elsewhere. Shoot me down in flames for that if you like, but I think I'm right.

As I said, I could apply this to other players, but they're not on the back page of the argus today.

Many footballers have found new clubs. Far, far more haven't. The difference between a decent offer with Brighton and another might simply be the notion of distance travelled. A couple of years ago a Championship club in the north of England came in for him. He decided to stay local. Staying local(ish) does appear to be high on his agenda.

I partially agree with you until you get to the notion of him wanting to train with us makes him 'desperate' for a new deal with us. It's simply bollocks. It means until he finds a new club, he wants to train with his local club - if nothing else to stay fit to keep himself in the shop window. If, for the sake of argument, he lived in, say, Maidstone, he might well ask to train with Gillingham. It's as simple as that. Meanwhile, he is still actively looking for other clubs.

And I'm sorry you find people you don't know 'meaningless'. I tend to find many of them quite worthwhile.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Is it not possible that when he knew MA had taken over he thought ' I have played for him before and he liked me perhaps if I could train with them I might be able to convince him that he should offer me another contract'. If not I can always sign for somebody else during August or September as I will be afree agent.

That's the sensible, logical train of thought, more commonly known as 'keeping your options open'.

To others, it implies 'desperation'.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hence the NUMEROUS comments I have made along the lines of "we're only talking about Mayo because he's on the back page of the argus." Unfair on him I know, but that's the way it goes. We can discuss other players if you want, but it's not as TOPICAL.

Random capitalisation doesn't make the argument any stronger I'm afraid. I'm sorry, the facts you are using to back up your argument just don't stack up on the basis that other players trained.

Were the other players less desperate because they are not on the back of the Argus, it's very confusing.

Probably what's happened is that Mayo hasn't been given a definate No, or Yes by Adams.

In exactly the same way that if you went on trial for another club, he would not be given another no or yes, by the manager.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What's hard to follow? I'm pointing to Butters as an example of someone who's joined two clubs that have meant several hours in the car each day. It's in response to the point BensGrandad made about there being no suitable clubs for Mayo to join in the area.

Right so you are suggesting Mayo should pop down to Southampton then, albeit with planning his journey to avoid the rush hour traffic.

I perfectly following what you've written but it's bizarre.

I'm sure Kerry wants to stay at the club, really wants to - even "desperate to stay here". But you are suggesting that the he is staying around because he'd otherwise be out of work, rather than the more plausible explanation that he's be given a chance to get a new contract (whether you agree with that or not) and has quite sensibly taken up the offer.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
It is my opinion that he's had offers from noone better than Lewes, and the prospect of loitering around the albion praying that Micky will take pity on him is a lot more appealing than signing for them. In short, neither of us KNOW for a fact what the situation is, but I just can't believe that if any sort of decent club had come in for him he wouldn't have signed up immediately.

From day one, Adams hinted that Mayo/Hart/Reid might be part of his plans, so I can understand why Mayo would want to wait until the door is firmly closed on his career at the Albion before joining another club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Albion don't owe Kerry Mayo a living. He's been a good servant to this club but I've seen enough to suggest it was the correct decision to release him.

Wilkins would not have taken that decision lightly, having decided to release Hart and Butters as well.

It's time for the likes of Elphick, Lynch, Cox and Virgo to lead this club to Falmer. Mayo's time has passed.

chickrun

Sep 13, 2006
surrey
Put yourself in Kerry's shoes. You are 30 married with a young family in the area you were born and have lived all your life. (Many of us here are, were or will have been in this situation). If you had a good job that you enjoy and pays well and you know you could hold down for only a few more years you would fight for it. Would you put your family through the upheaval of a move that you know would last 1 or 2 years unless you have to.

If you were Mickey. You need a back up full back and there is a player locally who has been extremely competent over the years and recently shown that he can adequately fill in for the clubs first choice. There is no question of moving/relocation fees and salary is probably pretty standard.

It seems to me like a good move for both parties.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is there an element of guilt with Micky? Can't he sleep at night because he walked out on the Albion all those years ago?

The idea of re-employing Kerry, Virgo and Booker, and re-hiring Currie is almost surreal. On the one hand Micky is signing Championship players and on the other is considering a bloke past his prime who been on the periphery of the Albion 1st XI for a couple of years, at various stages kept out of the side by El-Abd, Rents, Paul Reid, Bakayoko, i.e. kids, loanees and out-of-position squad players.

Enough already.

chickrun

Sep 13, 2006
surrey
Agreed. All these were used at various times in recent times, but none of them proved to be any better. Would any fulfill what Mickey wants in a dependable deputy left back? I like EL Abd but guess that is his least favoured 'stand in positions' and i am afraid Rents did just not quite have enough strengh for me

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Richards made the position his own, and it is no surprise that when he played we conceded less goals and our results were better.

I have to be honest and say that when he's on the field I feel Mayo could at any stage make a terrible gaffe. He's the man most likely to concede a penalty, the man most likely to be skinned for pace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here