Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy joins Shanghai SIPG

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If we made a profit on him then that’s a great deal.
I think we saw the best of Mooy early doors.
The more recent Mooy wouldn’t get in the match day squad.
I hope he makes a few quid as he never let us down and is a good guy.

Yep, good luck to him.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Indeed.

I wrote a "half season" review for NSC just before New Year when he'd just lashed in that goal against PLB. I said making the signing permanent had to be our first January business.

As soon as I committed that thought to the internet for posterity he went downhill. However, he was never competing for a genuine CM / CDM role but much more in our core of attacking mids. There he has been replaced by Lallana.

So, he's got more money, we'll probably have fleeced Shanghai for the fee (else Tony would have said NO) and we have a better player in that postion. #Winning

I'm rather hoping that Lallana can take over the CM role rather than attacking mids.

He's played there very successfully in the past.

We have a massive shortage of quality in that position.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
In connection to Molumby impressing, possibly Potter felt that would give the opportunity in some games to push Propper forward, more into the Mooy position and with Lallana signing as well, we've a surplus of No 10's/forward thinking midfielders. Sure we made a profit on him, so good deal for all parties. I wish him well, had some really good moments for us last season, he'll certainly be quids in now

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sorry about this just because I thought he was our best attacking central midfielder. Never understood why he was always played out wide. Strange so often when pushing for a goal he was pushed inside. Thought was far better then Propper.. Hope we got a good fee because we havent been good at selling on players to increase our spending budget.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The running joke in our group of 6 who attend was the 2vs4 split on Mooy. I was in the two.........who just DIDN'T get it.

Did I want him to do well? ABSOLUTELY. Was he RUBBISH? Clearly not.

But I just found him SO frustrating to watch. I'm sure a footballing expert will point out why I'm an idiot but I just found he slowed things down and didn't show the bustling energy required (maybe why I'm obsessed with Bissouma playing).

I wish him all the best but it's fair to say I am not exactly devastated.

I’m with you, completely. He has some skill, but he’s painfully slow, and very careless with the ball. I differ from those that think he started well and went downhill after signing permanently - for me he’s never been good enough. He had one excellent game. One.

Great bit of business

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The comparisons between Mooy and Stephens/Pröpper and drawing conclusions on Molumby are interesting since Mooy was never competing for the Stephens/Pröpper/Bissouma/Molumby positions.

No, but it’s also about overall contribution.
He is clearly not a wide player, neither is Gross IMO, but needs must.

Put a different way he is not better than any of the players we have centrally which is where he excelled for Huddersfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Indeed.

I wrote a "half season" review for NSC just before New Year when he'd just lashed in that goal against PLB. I said making the signing permanent had to be our first January business.

As soon as I committed that thought to the internet for posterity he went downhill. However, he was never competing for a genuine CM / CDM role but much more in our core of attacking mids. There he has been replaced by Lallana.

So, he's got more money, we'll probably have fleeced Shanghai for the fee (else Tony would have said NO) and we have a better player in that postion. #Winning

I think people overstate his dip in form but agree to some extent on it. I think it had lots to do with Alzate getting injured.

Mooy is always looking for spaces to put the ball and Alzate was one of very few players who actually made the runs into those spaces. Maupay is really the other only one, as Trossard prefer to get it at his feets. When Lamptey came, you could see a bit of Mooys abilities coming to use again. But in the grand scheme of things he is just too slow to be a viable PL player in the long run.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Absolutely this, thought he was superb until permanently signed. Quite disappointed he tailed off and eventually struggled to nail down a guarenteed place.

Still thankful for his time if this is legitimate, played a key role for us at points this season! Super excited for Molumby!

You used to see this a lot - player goes on loan, works hard to get a permanent deal and the second the ink is dry on the contract he takes it nice and easy. The worst example was Mark Chamberlain, who showed a few flashes of the skills that got him an England call-up while on loan but once he was signed - nothing. Took our money and gave us zip.

I honestly thought Mooy would be better than that, but his form dipped alarmingly in the second half of the season. Probably a good move all round.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Man, I liked Mooy. Sad to see him go actually.

Without question, he was GREAT until he went permanent, then for whatever he started to look very mediocre.

Without question, he was GREAT for ONE GAME just before he signed (Bournemouth).

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Wow.

Man, I liked Mooy. Sad to see him go actually.

Without question, he was GREAT until he went permanent, then for whatever he started to look very mediocre.

But. At his best he offered the team more, I feel then many of our other midfielders. He made some good assists, and had a goal in him.

I would easily rather ship out Gross or Davy. But I suspect this is Mooy’s choice.

All the best Aaron, as always I trust GP and Tony.

It's also a question of opportunity. If no acceptable offers have come in for anyone else then it's Mooy who goes. It's obviously a move he's happy with but not necessarily one that he was agitating for.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sorry about this just because I thought he was our best attacking central midfielder. Never understood why he was always played out wide. Strange so often when pushing for a goal he was pushed inside. Thought was far better then Propper.. Hope we got a good fee because we havent been good at selling on players to increase our spending budget.

Too slow to play AMC in the PL.

Every PL team tries to close down centrally to push their opponents to the wings. This makes it very congested centrally and as AMC you will likely need to battle with two DMCs, and for that you need to be quick and strong or they will just dispossess you very quickly. Playing as a side midfielder or winger, at least he could have the time to turn around and use his great/vision passing. It was a bandaid solution to get him involved.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Without question, he was GREAT for ONE GAME just before he signed (Bournemouth).

He was by far and away the best player on the pitch at Villa Away before he did his party piece and got sent off. I'd agree with you that I am struggling after Bournemouth to think of another.

I guess now we have Mac and Lallana he was surplus. Best of luck to him, Like Montoya, he never let us down and I hope it works out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nah that’s not fair. He was outrageous away at Arsenal if I remember. Had some storming performances.

No question his highlights In his short time here would be more impressive then some others.

Completely fair, I’m afraid. Nothing against Mooy - I’m sure he’s a nice chap. But he COST us more points than he earned us. He personally handed Aston Villa four points, for starters. In fact he was probably Villa’s second most important player this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here