Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy joins Shanghai SIPG

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I liked Mooy, thought he he did well for us last season but this does make sense for all.

Will always remember his stand out performances at home to Tottenham and Bournemouth (some on here compared him to Zidane after that game!).

In that he’s bald and runs like a 48 year-old?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Looked a very good player for Huddersfield in the PL but I can’t say I was 100% impressed with him in an Albion shirt.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m with you, completely. He has some skill, but he’s painfully slow, and very careless with the ball. I differ from those that think he started well and went downhill after signing permanently - for me he’s never been good enough. He had one excellent game. One.

Great bit of business

I think people overstate his dip in form but agree to some extent on it. I think it had lots to do with Alzate getting injured.

Mooy is always looking for spaces to put the ball and Alzate was one of very few players who actually made the runs into those spaces. Maupay is really the other only one, as Trossard prefer to get it at his feets. When Lamptey came, you could see a bit of Mooys abilities coming to use again. But in the grand scheme of things he is just too slow to be a viable PL player in the long run.

You both may be right in general. He certainly lacked any pace, something I've pointed out a few times on here. But one good game? He had at least TWO. Created all the space against Spurs in the 3-0 (MoTD panel creaming themselves over it) and a well deserved MoM award against Bournemouth.

I think he was very good at finding space to start off with. However, other teams fairly quickly cottoned on to this and he had neither the pace nor work rate to really get back on the front foot, hence my "season of two halves" thoughts.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
What does Propper have to do with Mooy?

It’s like Maupay leaving and me saying, good player but I’d have preferred Bernardo to have left, totally different types of players. Mooy is a luxury type player, and unfortunately we don’t have the quality to carry a luxury player at this point.

Just my opinion fella!!! If you are talking of luxury players than DP is much more of a luxury player than Mooy. DP generally can't tackle, gives the ball away, which has led to countless goals against and he visually panics when he has to shoot!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Started off well, but sunk to below-average performances after a dozen games.

Good luck to him in China though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You both may be right in general. He certainly lacked any pace, something I've pointed out a few times on here. But one good game? He had at least TWO. Created all the space against Spurs in the 3-0 (MoTD panel creaming themselves over it) and a well deserved MoM award against Bournemouth.

I think he was very good at finding space to start off with. However, other teams fairly quickly cottoned on to this and he had neither the pace nor work rate to really get back on the front foot, hence my "season of two halves" thoughts.

Yes - I’m happy to concede the Spurs game. The formation took them by surprise and he used the space well.

Other than that he only looked good enough against Championship teams (Villa for 20 minutes, Bournemouth, Norwich).

Hope he has a great career in China.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
He had a few standout games and was never in my recollection particularly poor (apart from when the whole side was), but I think he ended the season very much a decent squad member - whereas when we signed him I thought he was going to be a real star playmaker for us.

I don't think it has failed to work out to such an extent that we would have pushed him to leave after 6 months, but I suspect that he fancied the money and the short flight home, and probably expected slightly more of himself in an Albion shirt to be honest.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Sad to see him go but expect is a good deal. AliMac needs to step up and make the position his own. Much like Bissouma and Molumby need to behind him. Could be amazing trio in a year's time and have the experience of Lallana, Propper and Stephens helping until then.

Gross for me is the odd one out who'd fallen off from his first 18 months more than Mooy had from his first 6. That said you sell either when get a decent offer I guess and hold them for depth if not. Best of luck in China.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Held the ball up very well, made simple passes but had the eye for something better if someone was on his wave length, just painfully slow. But I think this move says less about Mooy and more GP and where he sees the team progressing, I believe children are the future.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Ridiculously one footed as well.

I agree two good games, but out of 32?

Think [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
People saying Mooy wasn't all that must have been watching someone else. Pulled strings in midfield on numerous occasions. Probably our best crosser of a ball, two footed and wasn't afraid to shoot. However, the move makes sense we have a lot of midfield options. Mooy was often put out wide which is not his favourable position. We have probably made a decent profit on him and we now have more funds towards a left wing back and a forward option. China suits him because it's closer to home, will make a fortune and is guaranteed to play in an easier league to finish his career. Be interesting to see what Potters does now.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Bissouma would have likely started anyways, Alzate injured isn't he? plus quite inexperienced. Lallana would make sense in the case of Mooy. AMN looks to be off to wolves.

Alzate is in the Scotland training camp photos playing. May be inexperienced but I really rate him when he's playing, exciting to watch and how is he going to get experienced without playing?

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Bit of a surprise, but it’s hardly like we don’t have any other options, plus I could imagine the Chinese teams are more than generous with their spending based on previous figures.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Not one I expected, but I’m sure they wouldn’t have accepted the offer unless it was worth it.

Enjoyed watching him, wish him well.

Hopefully we can blood a youngster or two who were behind him. Even if Lallana takes a first team spot 9 times out of 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here