Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A Rugby World Cup final win or a Brighton victory?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If it was Cricket world cup or Brighton win I’d go for the Albion win every time because I find cricket boring. So I get non rugby fans dismissing it.

Rugby World Champions edges it for me if I had to make a choice, but then I find International rugby way more exciting than International football. I know plenty of football fans who think I am a dick for thinking that too :shrug:

Winning the World Cup is a massive achievement. There is no big deal in beating a team like Norwich, although the points would be nice.

Every now and again you get a decent post on here.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Anyone else remember when we last won the world cup and then we played at Notts County? Won 2-1 I think. Great day - remember the whole ground singing Swing Low Sweet Chariot

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’m going to drink 2 bottles of wine Friday night, win Hove Prom Parkrun Saturday morning, watch us win the rugby World Cup with 20” delay first half and then after a few pints at lunchtime get the three points against Norwich.
I’ll cancel and tell the Swedish volleyball team that they’ll have to come and stay when we’re playing Man City away.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Brighton to win one league game out of 38 or England to win Rugby World Cup. No brainer for me. Rugby 100%.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Thought about an acca last week - England, Brighton and Lewis. Should have. Will do this weekend.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
If England win the Rugby World Cup I will remember where I was and what I was doing for the rest of my life. Unless something absolutely insane happens I am sure I won’t be saying the same about a league game against Norwich.

So for that reason rugby for me.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd be happy to see Albion stuffed if I could trade it for a World Cup win. To be ODI champions and RWC champions at the same time is quite something. The Aussies have managed it a couple of times. Our turn.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Fair enough but I’d be interested to know which team stumbled itself to a World Cup win ( except maybe England with home advantage in the days before real (Sky) Football :wink:)

Well, England stumbled to a World Cup semi-final in 2018 so it's not inconceivable. Italy in 1982 were dismal in the group stages but a lucky win against a Brazil defence that shot itself in the foot gave them sudden momentum and they were lucky that Germany beat a superior France team in the semi-final. Then Italy again in 2006, winning the Zidane final on penalties? Italy just about got past Australia and Ukraine while France had to play Spain and Brazil

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Fair enough but I’d be interested to know which team stumbled itself to a World Cup win ( except maybe England with home advantage in the days before real (Sky) Football :wink:)

Not a world cup but the likes of Vasilis Tsiartas (nope, me neither) have a Euro 2004 winners medal around thier necks. A team that never did anything before or since. Even Hal Robson Kanu made a semi final.

In the world cup, the Germany team who made the 2002 final were bang average. They had been beaten 1-5 at home by England the previous year. Argentina in 90 weren't much better.

Cup competitions can throw up strange results but I'd argue the league does as well. If we restart the 2015/16 PL from scratch with the same teams, players and fixtures, would you back Leicester to win it at say 4-1?I wouldn't.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Brighton win by a country mile.

I genuinely wouldn’t care a jolt if England lost the final. The guttural braying of anti-football rugby fans is bad enough as it is without them winning another World Cup. Can’t wait for it to be over so the obnoxious bellends in stonewashed jeans & FatFace cardigans who spend the entire time rugby is on loudly claiming it’s a “proper sport, not like that wendyball rubbish. Bunch of wimps them. Wouldn’t last a minute playing rugby with real men” can f*ck off out of my local and go back to whatever rugby fans normally do (drink each other’s piss?) for another 4 years. Tiresome morons who think watching Top Gear & drinking Guinness constitutes a personality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here