Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A Rugby World Cup final win or a Brighton victory?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If England lose Saturday morning, I'll be over it by the time I reach the Portslade platform before 1pm.

If the Albion lose to Norwich, I won't get over it for at least a week, possibly longer if it triggers a bad run.

Albion all day long.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Brighton win by a country mile.

I genuinely wouldn’t care a jolt if England lost the final. The guttural braying of anti-football rugby fans is bad enough as it is without them winning another World Cup. Can’t wait for it to be over so the obnoxious bellends in stonewashed jeans & FatFace cardigans who spend the entire time rugby is on loudly claiming it’s a “proper sport, not like that wendyball rubbish. Bunch of wimps them. Wouldn’t last a minute playing rugby with real men” can f*ck off out of my local and go back to whatever rugby fans normally do (drink each other’s piss?) for another 4 years. Tiresome morons who think watching Top Gear & drinking Guinness constitutes a personality.

I played rugby in the midlands for a number of years.

You describe the stereotypical Southern rugby fan well - the ones who drive to 'Twickers in their Range Rover. I have to say that in the midlands my experience was completely different. I played at Wolverhampton RUFC and the majority of the players were mad keen Wolves fans. From this I have deduced that the type of rugby fan you describe (who, I agree, are twats) must be a southern thing, or at least a more wealthy area thing.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Why can't we win both?
If England were to win, Brighton would have another 27 games that we could win this season, England have just this one to win the World Cup.
I'm sticking with both though.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I love the Albion because I enjoy football and identify with Brighton

I don't know much about rugby and I now identify less with England than I used to.

So no, I'll be in Sainsbury's at nine tomorrow. Should be very civilised.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Brighton win all day long. England have won the egg chasing world cup before, so nothing special for them.......plus it's only the springboks

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If England lose Saturday morning, I'll be over it by the time I reach the Portslade platform before 1pm.

If the Albion lose to Norwich, I won't get over it for at least a week, possibly longer if it triggers a bad run.

Albion all day long.
This.

I really like rugby, but it's not a passion for me in anything like the same way. Albion is in my blood and always will be.

Regardless, we'll win both. An edgy win in the rugby, but Norwich will get absolutely humped. We're miles better than them.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Isn't it great that people who never talk about rugby - at all - can get really 'emotional' about it once every four years?

I loathe rugby, and what it stands for. Apparently, I'm unpatriotic because I'm not in to it.

What a load of sweaty, odd-shaped bollocks.

Piss-drinking ****s.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why can't we win both?

Because then the thread title would be "Do you want England and Brighton to win on Saturday ?" - which would be a bit of a pointless question, wouldn't it.

The whole point of the thread is if you HAD to make a choice of one or t'other, then what would you choose

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Isn't it great that people who never talk about rugby - at all - can get really 'emotional' about it once every four years?

I loathe rugby, and what it stands for. Apparently, I'm unpatriotic because I'm not in to it.

Piss-drinking ****s.
An understandable pov and I have to say, although I have never loathed rugby it really did used to pass me by until i reached my 30s.

What it stands for is very interesting too. In Wales and Ireland, it is the game of the people in certain regions, and in parts of England that is also the case. Not all clubs or players are red trousered hooray Henry Harlequin city boy pricks.

I live in Reigate where we have two clubs. I shouldn't be too disparaging about the other club, but some of them there definitely fit the profile you're suggesting. Ours is completely different though - 4 of us coach the U9s. Head coach is a passionate South Welsh rugby guy, the other 3 of us are passionate football blokes primarily (Steve Sidwell's postman, Liverpool fan from Liverpool, myself and a Palace STH). This is a broad pattern followed across our coaching team in all age groups from U5 to U11.

You are not alone in your view of rugby but I can promise you that you'd come to our club on a Sunday morning and go away with a very different opinion, as I once did. And I will also say that the respect towards refs and coaches is largely brilliant. You get that in football at some clubs of course, but let's be honest, football has a much larger problem with respect for the people putting their time in for the kids.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
An understandable pov and I have to say, although I have never loathed rugby it really did used to pass me by until i reached my 30s.

What it stands for is very interesting too. In Wales and Ireland, it is the game of the people in certain regions, and in parts of England that is also the case. Not all clubs or players are red trousered hooray Henry Harlequin city boy pricks.

I live in Reigate where we have two clubs. I shouldn't be too disparaging about the other club, but some of them there definitely fit the profile you're suggesting. Ours is completely different though - 4 of us coach the U9s. Head coach is a passionate South Welsh rugby guy, the other 3 of us are passionate football blokes primarily (Steve Sidwell's postman, Liverpool fan from Liverpool, myself and a Palace STH). This is a broad pattern followed across our coaching team in all age groups from U5 to U11.

You are not alone in your view of rugby but I can promise you that you'd come to our club on a Sunday morning and go away with a very different opinion, as I once did. And I will also say that the respect towards refs and coaches is largely brilliant. You get that in football at some clubs of course, but let's be honest, football has a much larger problem with respect for the people putting their time in for the kids.

Interesting points. I used to live in Wales and it is totally different there. The game is so important and I have nothing but respect for that.

Some of the drivel I've heard rugby people spout about football is ridiculous. Your club sounds great but it won't change my opinion. UTA.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure how I let this thread pass me by but Albion win by a country mile. I'll watch the egg chasing with a bacon sarnie and a cup of coffee with a mild hope that we win and then I'll go out for the real sporting highlight of the day and a few beers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting points. I used to live in Wales and it is totally different there. The game is so important and I have nothing but respect for that.

Some of the drivel I've heard rugby people spout about football is ridiculous. Your club sounds great but it won't change my opinion. UTA.
Yeah my experience is similar to that of [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION] by the sounds of it. I'm not really out to change your opinion of the sport of rugby as obviously that's up to you and it's perfectly reasonable to like some sports and not others.

One thing I would say is this: when it comes to sport, I think it is healthy to keep an open mind even if you assume you're not going to fit in. What if your lad is the next Jonny Wilkinson or Jason Leonard, but never gets the chance to play because his parents can't stand the sport? We've got friends here whose son dabbled in the ultra posh world of fencing at the age of 8 when a regional fencing club came to his school. Six years on and he has just broken into the GB squad and in all likelihood will be in the Olympic squad in 5 years time!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I loathe rugby, and what it stands for. .

Respect to the referees?
A game where, no matter your shape, there is a space in the team for you?
Not rolling around on the floor pretending to be hurt despite being crunched?
A sport where the fans can actually be trusted to sit next to an opposition fan, whilst drinking, and not start fighting

I get someone not liking rugby.
Not quite sure what there is to loathe about 'what it stands for'?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Piss-drinking ****s.

Ironic, that your main beef with the rugger types, appears to be the chip you perceive them to have on their shoulders, about the sport you love - yet you seem to be carrying one just as big yourself...

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Brighton win by a country mile.

I genuinely wouldn’t care a jolt if England lost the final. The guttural braying of anti-football rugby fans is bad enough as it is without them winning another World Cup. Can’t wait for it to be over so the obnoxious bellends in stonewashed jeans & FatFace cardigans who spend the entire time rugby is on loudly claiming it’s a “proper sport, not like that wendyball rubbish. Bunch of wimps them. Wouldn’t last a minute playing rugby with real men” can f*ck off out of my local and go back to whatever rugby fans normally do (drink each other’s piss?) for another 4 years. Tiresome morons who think watching Top Gear & drinking Guinness constitutes a personality.

It's WEIRD how so many rugby fans just have to tell football fans why it is that Rugby is better. So needy.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Shouldn't this thread be tagged as (Humour)?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Respect to the referees?
A game where, no matter your shape, there is a space in the team for you?
Not rolling around on the floor pretending to be hurt despite being crunched?
A sport where the fans can actually be trusted to sit next to an opposition fan, whilst drinking, and not start fighting

I get someone not liking rugby.
Not quite sure what there is to loathe about 'what it stands for'?

Fans that don’t boo national anthems

Fans that don’t sing songs about the IRA and world wars won

Fans that don’t send death threats to players and immediate family

A sport where players won’t ‘come out’ due to fan vitriol

Racism becoming more common place at games at all levels

Football referees at grass root level being abused

There is an awful lot not to like about a minority of football fans and the sport in general unfortunately.

Couple that with football being run by a massively corrupt governing body and the game being prostituted to the highest bidder, decent football fans could do a lot worse then give rugby a go.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Ironic, that your main beef with the rugger types, appears to be the chip you perceive them to have on their shoulders, about the sport you love - yet you seem to be carrying one just as big yourself...

OK. I thought this was a football message board, not a rugby love-in.

'What it stands for' is the elitism that is rife in this country. People who think they're better than others, particularly denigrating a sport that does much more good than harm (football).

The tired arguments of the physical contact angle, footballers diving etc.

Where have I said I love football?

Football is tribal. Rugby isn't.

Football fans care enough about their clubs to schlep 80 miles to home games in the fourth division. Rugby clubs (Wasps) buzz around from town to town chasing the money.

If you're - per se - genuinely in to rugby, without finding the need to run down another sport, then good luck to you. No problem with that at all.

Here's a great piece about how rugby league came into being: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/01/rugby-league-conservatives-sport-elites

I have many more reasons why I don't particularly like rugby but my scampi and chips have arrived and I need to eat them off my shoulder before they get cold.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here