Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A Rugby World Cup final win or a Brighton victory?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
OK. I thought this was a football message board, not a rugby love-in.

'What it stands for' is the elitism that is rife in this country. People who think they're better than others, particularly denigrating a sport that does much more good than harm (football).

The tired arguments of the physical contact angle, footballers diving etc.

Where have I said I love football?

Football is tribal. Rugby isn't.

Football fans care enough about their clubs to schlep 80 miles to home games in the fourth division. Rugby clubs (Wasps) buzz around from town to town chasing the money.

If you're - per se - genuinely in to rugby, without finding the need to run down another sport, then good luck to you. No problem with that at all.

Here's a great piece about how rugby league came into being: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/01/rugby-league-conservatives-sport-elites

I have many more reasons why I don't particularly like rugby but my scampi and chips have arrived and I need to eat them off my shoulder before they get cold.

That's a lot of effort just to confirm the size of that chip.

I'm not at all personally invested in the sport of rugby. I'll enjoy the WC Final and hope to see an England win, but in truth, the three matches I've watched in full at this world cup are the only ones I've watched this calendar year.

But I do have dealings with every professional club in the British Isles through work, and clearly have a hugely better grasp of the people involved than you do - there are a lot of good people involved at every level of the game - its all rather broader than just the red-trousered hoorays eating their M&S picnics from the tailgates of their spotless landrovers, in the Twickers car park.

You crack on though being superior (whilst pretending that they are).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pretty sure there are quite a few people who dismiss rugby because they haven’t got a scooby about the laws and hence don’t have a clue what is going on. I love both but hate cricket with a vengeance (and yes I do understand it because I played it at school)

Not sure I could ANGRY about people liking cricket as quite a few do about rugby though :shrug: (or baseball and American football too as they hold no interest at all but I don’t choose to slag them off, I just turn off/over when they come on tv)

I can happily watch an hour of Formula 1 build up and a two hour race though :smile:

Oh and no International sporting event can compete with England in the WC Rugby Union finals though....imo ( yet I wouldn’t cross the road to watch an England team in a Rugby League WC Final :shrug:)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
OK. I thought this was a football message board, ...

It isn't. It's primarily a messageboard for Brighton fans - who have a wide range of interests. You don't like rugby, that's fair enough, and also I can see where you're coming from. Personally I hate tennis and Formula 1 motor racing, and I'd MUCH rather Brighton won a league game than England won the Davis Cup in tennis. And that's any Brighton team, U11s, Ladies, you name it.

The Rugby world cup's a different matter though! C'mon England!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's lovely that minority sports gets a bit of limelight from time to time but tomorrow is a must win for us.

Piss off eggchasers.....but thank you very much for getting the pubs to open early!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
An understandable pov and I have to say, although I have never loathed rugby it really did used to pass me by until i reached my 30s.

What it stands for is very interesting too. In Wales and Ireland, it is the game of the people in certain regions, and in parts of England that is also the case. Not all clubs or players are red trousered hooray Henry Harlequin city boy pricks.

I live in Reigate where we have two clubs. I shouldn't be too disparaging about the other club, but some of them there definitely fit the profile you're suggesting. Ours is completely different though - 4 of us coach the U9s. Head coach is a passionate South Welsh rugby guy, the other 3 of us are passionate football blokes primarily (Steve Sidwell's postman, Liverpool fan from Liverpool, myself and a Palace STH). This is a broad pattern followed across our coaching team in all age groups from U5 to U11.

You are not alone in your view of rugby but I can promise you that you'd come to our club on a Sunday morning and go away with a very different opinion, as I once did. And I will also say that the respect towards refs and coaches is largely brilliant. You get that in football at some clubs of course, but let's be honest, football has a much larger problem with respect for the people putting their time in for the kids.

Good man Simster. All good points and respect for coaching. My lad played from minis and I grew to respect the game, and still really enjoy watching it. Never having played the game myself I keep quiet as I can on the touch line though. If you have a son or daughter who likes sport I'd recommend taking them to your local club. You'll be made welcome.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It's lovely that minority sports gets a bit of limelight from time to time but tomorrow is a must win for us.

Piss off eggchasers.....but thank you very much for getting the pubs to open early!

Ha ha. Come off it - if you like any sport you can't help but watch a World Cup final.

Mind you - I'd still take an Albion win if I had to choose.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm certainly no rugby afficienado, but I thoroughly enjoyed the wins over the convicts and NZ. My local is opening tomorrow for the game, with free bacon sarnies, orange juice and coffee on offer, so I'll most likely mince along there and partake.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My local is opening tomorrow for the game, with free bacon sarnies, orange juice and coffee on offer

FAO [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]. Crodo has hacked your account.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I’ll get over and England loss far quicker than Brighton losing so Brighton win for me!

Interesting observation. I have already stated I’d take a WC win over beating Norwich BUT I am with you on the fact that I’ll get over a rugby defeat much quicker than an Albion defeat. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I'm not at all personally invested in the sport of rugby. I'll enjoy the WC Final and hope to see an England win, but in truth, the three matches I've watched in full at this world cup are the only ones I've watched this calendar year.

But I do have dealings with every professional club in the British Isles through work, and clearly have a hugely better grasp of the people involved than you do - there are a lot of good people involved at every level of the game - its all rather broader than just the red-trousered hoorays eating their M&S picnics from the tailgates of their spotless landrovers, in the Twickers car park.

Thank you.

Loads of people enjoy football and rugby union, and always have. I didn’t go to private school, yet have loved rugby union since the late 70’s thanks to the BBC’s brilliant coverage even then. I’ve been to a few big club matches, very enjoyable, great atmosphere. Football will always be number one to me, but the two sports for spectators are not mutually exclusive whatsoever.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Ha ha. Come off it - if you like any sport you can't help but watch a World Cup final.

Mind you - I'd still take an Albion win if I had to choose.

I like pretty much all sports including rugby (despite not having the faintest idea about most of the rules) so yes I will be watching in the morning.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
We played Notts County the last time we won the Rugby. I had to Google the score even though I was there. On that basis I guess I'd go for the Rugby.

We won 2-1 if anyone is interested. Apparently Leon Knight scored 2. Can't remember a thing.

That explains why we watched the Final at our friends in West Bridgford. I too have no recollection of the County game, but would have been there.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
From 9am, what are you coning in, a milk float :smile:

OK I will bite,

Leave home at 0930....lunch at Cobam services on the M25 at 11am ( before the M3/M25 junction gets busy)
Need to leave Cobham by 11:45 to get parked at Mill Hill by 12:30 or else park and ride gets full.

Travelling 120 miles there are plenty of chances for delays in roadworks or behind accidents etc...I would rather arrive early than late.

Any more wise comments?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
OK I will bite,

Leave home at 0930....lunch at Cobam services on the M25 at 11am ( before the M3/M25 junction gets busy)
Need to leave Cobham by 11:45 to get parked at Mill Hill by 12:30 or else park and ride gets full.

Travelling 120 miles there are plenty of chances for delays in roadworks or behind accidents etc...I would rather arrive early than late.

Any more wise comments?

It was a poor joke, I know exactly how frustrating a motorway journey can be on a Saturday going to a football match. Must be like an away day for you every home game.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004

Bully for you. I have a chip because my opinion is different from yours? OK mate.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't post on here anymore.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Albion win for me all day long,no contest. I've little interest in rugby but I'll probably watch the final

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here