Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A Rugby World Cup final win or a Brighton victory?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Brighton win and an explanation as to why it is now de rigueur to call South Africans Saffers!

It's nothing more than a popular colloquialism or regional nickname like Aussie or Kiwi.

South Africans = Saffers. Just an abbreviation.

There's invariably no offence meant by those using the term 'Saffer', so none should be taken.

Anyway, here's to an England victory over the Saffers before Albion making it even more memorable.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'd have to go for an England win on this occasion, I'd have been all BHA last week, but this is a World Cup final.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Rugby World Cup Final win please!
I was at the 2007 Final in Paris when we lost to them so would love to see us beat them this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Saffers call themselves Saffers.... nothing sinister there.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I never inferred there was anything sinister about it, just questioned why it's suddenly become popular on here to refer as such.

I used to play football with a few guys from South Africa, and quite honestly say I never heard them use this term to refer to themselves.

I guess I'm just not one for using collective terms for those from other countries, like I would never call an American a Yank, a Frenchman a Froggie, or an Irishman a Paddy...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Both, like last week!

Failing that, England rugby win. A draw or a defeat against Norwich and we can go again next week. And the week after that. And the week after that. And so on until the end of the season.

And yes, as before I realise I'm in a minority.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Can't believe anyone on here would chose anything but a Brighton win.

I would be disappointed for a few hours if we lost the Rugby.
I will be pissed off all week if we lose on Saturday and it will still rankle for the rest of the season.
Burnley, West Ham, Saints, Villa results are all still very fresh in my mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here