Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 out of 10 cats

Spoon

May 31, 2009
My favourite line was "We all like to put a bit of money away for a rainy day, but Jimmy you're more prepared than Noah"

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I keep hearing the tax system is too complicated, part of the reason for the complication is because of all the "loop hole" plugging that has gone on to stop the "tax dodging" that goes on.

People like living in this country, this country costs a lot of money, it would cost us all a lot less if everyone stopped avoiding tax (have you ever paid or been paid cash to avoid tax?)

What gets me most about this particular hypocrite is that he has made a living out of poking fun at others that have avoided tax and has then taken his gains from that and done exactly the same. Makes him much worse in my eyes than others who have avoided tax by "legal" if not wholly morral means.

If you like living here pay the cost or go live elsewhere, not fair to want to live in a society that you like to short change because of greed.

As to the programme I think he got off light too many light weight "commedians" a talentless gay bloke and a blond bint (sorry no idea who she is or what she does) simply not suitable for this type of thing I was hoping they could tempt in someone like Hislop for the night, but I suppose he can't throw stones in his glass house, maybe.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Would have quite liked to see it - just to see what happened, but couldn't bring myself to watch that awful, awful show.

As for Carr - his big mistake was being such a hypocrite for taking the p*ss out of people doing it - as others have said, there are many, many people avoiding their full tax burden to some extent or other, whether its ISAs, being paid in cash or whatever. Of course, he'll win out in the end, this will blow over in a couple of weeks, and he now has a higher profile and bigger income - some cynical PR people might invent stunts like this.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
The next time any of you hypocrites pay a builder or mechanic cash because you,re getting a bit of a deal, stop and have a think, why don't you.

This is a valid point but my attitude has changed over the years. Why should only the lower paid be the ones to pay their taxes properly? The example set by Cameron's family, Phillip Green, Jimmy Carr, U2, The Rolling Stones; to name some of the more public ones, leaves me thinking that you're regarded as a complete mug for paying your taxes. Change the system.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I watched it, and just died a little inside like I was expecting to. So he isn't paying Tax, big f***ing deal, I don't pay as much tax as I could and neither does anyone else on this board. I love how he has to make out he's sorry and he made a mistake to save face - he's not, he would have done it forever more if he hadn't been rumbled.

Jimmy Carr is dodging his tax and the media f***ing implodes. He was one of 100s of people using this one scheme and I don't see anyone hounding apologies out of Gary f***ing Barlow or any one else on the scheme. The £30K or whatever it is he didnt pay in tax is small fry compared to the hundreds of millions not being payed by Cameron's cronies who went through Eaton and the like, or the big businesses who apparently just don't have to pay tax.

Cameron's the most disgraceful in all of this, Carr hasn't broken the law so why has he been named and shamed when the are scores of people doing much, much worse things that he is very happy to keep his mouth shut about? If I had been in Jimmy's position I would've come out fighting personally rather than just trying to pretend I was sorry when I wasn't.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Barlow gets an OBE for his troubles.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
They should publish the names of everyone who takes out an ISA - name and shame the lot of them for being morally repugnant and using a legal tax avoidance scheme!!

The difference being that you pay taxes on your earnings first, you then use those taxed earnings to take out a cash ISA that is free from savings tax. Come on, keep up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The £30K or whatever it is he didnt pay in tax is small fry compared to the hundreds of millions not being payed by Cameron's cronies who went through Eaton and the like
No, the small fry 30k is what he does pay. It's Over £1m that he doesn't pay, every single year. Obviously he's not the only one, and Gary B and the rest using this scheme are just as bad. Talk of Cameron's cronies is weird speculation - no doubt some of the Eaton lot do similar, and I'm sure many of the Eaton lot don't. Anyone earning a decent amount that's paying 1% tax is as bad as the rest of them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The difference being that you pay taxes on your earnings first, you then use those taxed earnings to take out a cash ISA that is free from savings tax. Come on, keep up.
You'd think that was obvious wouldn't you :shrug: Having tax free savings to try and protect your post tax earnings from inflation is hardly the same as not paying tax on your real earnings.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Anyone earning a decent amount that's paying 1% tax is as bad as the rest of them.

Exactly, just as bad as the rest of him, so why is he being put through the grinder as though he's the only person to have ever evaded paying his taxes? Besides, these schemes have been operating for years and years, why do people suddenly care NOW?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
the whole thing is pys ops to make the public think "we are in it together, tax and austerity is the way to get out of the economic mess"

quite clever and millions fall for it.

most tax goes to the banks anyway as the goverments pay INTEREST back on their LOANS from the CENTRAL CORPORATE BANK known as The Bank of England.

tax also pays for BAILOUTS across Europe that is printed BACKED BY NOTHING.

Carr is probably in on it and they paid him off to be this "archetype" - wouldn't suprise me.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I watched it, and just died a little inside like I was expecting to. So he isn't paying Tax, big f***ing deal, I don't pay as much tax as I could and neither does anyone else on this board. I love how he has to make out he's sorry and he made a mistake to save face - he's not, he would have done it forever more if he hadn't been rumbled.

Jimmy Carr is dodging his tax and the media f***ing implodes. He was one of 100s of people using this one scheme and I don't see anyone hounding apologies out of Gary f***ing Barlow or any one else on the scheme. The £30K or whatever it is he didnt pay in tax is small fry compared to the hundreds of millions not being payed by Cameron's cronies who went through Eaton and the like, or the big businesses who apparently just don't have to pay tax.

Cameron's the most disgraceful in all of this, Carr hasn't broken the law so why has he been named and shamed when the are scores of people doing much, much worse things that he is very happy to keep his mouth shut about? If I had been in Jimmy's position I would've come out fighting personally rather than just trying to pretend I was sorry when I wasn't.

Good post. The media do love a scapegoat.

FWIW I think Carr is doing the right thing here, just like he did after his paralympic joke. You can't beat the tabloid press once they get their teeth into you so it's best to just say sorry and keep your head down until they find another scandel in a couple of weeks and everyone forgets about you.

Jimmy Carr won't suffer at all for this, his tours will still sell out months in advance.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Personally don't see what he has done wrong. Used a loophole to pay as little tax as possible, would anyone do different if able? I know that I would do exactly the same if I knew how to do it.
thought he took the banter very well, will all be forgotten this time next year

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Personally don't see what he has done wrong. Used a loophole to pay as little tax as possible, would anyone do different if able? I know that I would do exactly the same if I knew how to do it.

Er, not sure about that. Hasnt done anything wrong?? I'm a carpenter and whenever I get the chance to avoid tax using cash payments i grab it without thought , but that is because most loopholes have have been closed on my industry, they just shifted the responsibility onto the employer (C.I.S.). However this is only because I'm an angry average joe who's being raped at every turn of modern life. IF I was a multi millionaire even I couldn't live with myself if I was paying 1% tax.
Someone else here said a little bit of them died last night and I agree. He was still funny but like Deaytongate the hull of the programme has been breached and I think this will begin its demise. Team captain Jon IS whiter than white and he's angry and won't let it lie.
Yes I agree rich people get stung harshly but what they forget is that It is THIS society and government that has created the environment for them In the first place. Does that make sense? If you are rich you may be paying an overly large chunk of tax but you wouldn't be rich in the first place if the comedy scene hadn't been allowed to flourish like it has.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003

Er, not sure about that. Hasnt done anything wrong?? I'm a carpenter and whenever I get the chance to avoid tax using cash payments i grab it without thought , but that is because most loopholes have have been closed on my industry, they just shifted the responsibility onto the employer (C.I.S.). However this is only because I'm an angry average joe who's being raped at every turn of modern life. IF I was a multi millionaire even I couldn't live with myself if I was paying 1% tax.
Someone else here said a little bit of them died last night and I agree. He was still funny but like Deaytongate the hull of the programme has been breached and I think this will begin its demise. Team captain Jon IS whiter than white and he's angry and won't let it lie.
Yes I agree rich people get stung harshly but what they forget is that It is THIS society and government that has created the environment for them In the first place. Does that make sense? If you are rich you may be paying an overly large chunk of tax but you wouldn't be rich in the first place if the comedy scene hadn't been allowed to flourish like it has.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
The double posting is Bozzas fault not mine and where is the "delete post" button?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here