Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 out of 10 cats

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I started a thread about the comedy show on 4 Friday night. I didn't realise it would reach 100 posts and get so heated.
I think everyone would be lying if they say that they haven't looked at their pay slip at the end of the month and said " bloody tax man!! Look at what I could have earnt" BUT we all know the rules and have to pay our fair share. Especially millionaire comedy stars.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Yeah, you're right - I must be a saint. Fancy having a moral standpoint in this day and age. Lets just screw everyone else and to hell with any idea of community. Oh, I forgot, you're Tory til you die, so obviously don't believe in community.

there's loads of things that there aren't specific laws to stop you doing, but by god I hope you don't do some of them.

Just saying the loophole is a scandal, shows that you know it is a loophole (i.e. wrong) and yet you seem happy that everyone should exploit it. Do you need all of your ideas of right and wrong written down by somebody for you? Can't you just be a grown up and decide for yourself?
Yes, I am happy for anyone to conduct themselves within the law.
Yes, its a loophole. But its a loophole that has been around for years and years, yet it has never been closed, and dare I say it, probably will still be there this time next parliment.

Not quite sure what you are getting at about specfic laws stopping me doing things. Maybe you would like to expand on that, instead of keeping everyone guessing?

There are many many more immoral things in the country than a comedian avoiding a bit of tax.

He's richer than you. Stop being jealous about it!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Jimmy Carr is okay and there's not one of you lot that wouldn't pay 1% tax if you could get away with it and you bloody know it.
Off course they would, but some people love to make out that their shit dont smell.

I went from paying 40/50% tax, down to 19 or 20% with a flick of pen. I don't feel immoral about it. In fact the next question I will ask my accountant next week, is why the f*** I don't know about this 1% scheme. If its legal I'd do it in a flash, as I believe 99.9999% of people would given the chance, despite what the lefties try and spin.

The day that some **** who can't be arsed to work and breeds like a rabbit, isn't given a "free" house to live in and money to live on in the same street opposite my father who worked his fingers to the bone and paid his way in life and paid for his house, will be the day that I may change my view in paying as tiny amount of tax as I can get away this....

End of thread!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I started a thread about the comedy show on 4 Friday night. I didn't realise it would reach 100 posts and get so heated.
I think everyone would be lying if they say that they haven't looked at their pay slip at the end of the month and said " bloody tax man!! Look at what I could have earnt" BUT we all know the rules and have to pay our fair share. Especially millionaire comedy stars.
You wouldn't have thought so by some of the crap replies on here. I think some would have us believe they'd pay more tax if they could!!!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yes, I am happy for anyone to conduct themselves within the law.
Yes, its a loophole. But its a loophole that has been around for years and years, yet it has never been closed, and dare I say it, probably will still be there this time next parliment.

Not quite sure what you are getting at about specfic laws stopping me doing things. Maybe you would like to expand on that, instead of keeping everyone guessing?

There are many many more immoral things in the country than a comedian avoiding a bit of tax.

He's richer than you. Stop being jealous about it!

I pay my fair share (in 2 countries;UK and South Africa). This Carr **** avoided around 1million quid in one year alone. Don't tar everyone with your brush and your moral standards. If you're paying 20% then congratulations but if you're paying 1% I would like to see you jailed, even if it is currently legal. I hope they bring in retrospective legislation to nail the scumbags.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Off course they would, but some people love to make out that their shit dont smell.

I went from paying 40/50% tax, down to 19 or 20% with a flick of pen. I don't feel immoral about it. In fact the next question I will ask my accountant next week, is why the f*** I don't know about this 1% scheme. If its legal I'd do it in a flash, as I believe 99.9999% of people would given the chance, despite what the lefties try and spin.

The day that some **** who can't be arsed to work and breeds like a rabbit, isn't given a "free" house to live in and money to live on in the same street opposite my father who worked his fingers to the bone and paid his way in life and paid for his house, will be the day that I may change my view in paying as tiny amount of tax as I can get away this....

End of thread!

Sponging bastards. I hate them.

And the people who moved in opposite your dad.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You wouldn't have thought so by some of the crap replies on here. I think some would have us believe they'd pay more tax if they could!!!

Or just happily pay their fair share.

To be honest though i would happily pay more taxes if it was reflected in the services provided to me. My problem is not in the amount of tax i pay but in the way it is spent.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Sorry for not replying sooner, I was watching 8 out of 10.
Jon Richardson acted like he's annoyed with Jimmy, and this won't be the last of it, but I'm concerned they'll let him get away with it. Angus Deyton had Hislop and Merton next to him, and they would never let it go, so Deyton was out. I doubt that'll happen with 8 out of 10, which is a shame. What Jimmy's done is inexcusable, and he shouldn't get away with it.

In the past you recommended asking solicitors/accountants to find loopholes for their clients, what's changed?
How to avoid paying stamp duty?? - Page 4

Triggaaar said:
Not every solicitors company can spend the hours needed to investigate every loophole in every single aspect of the English legal system. If you were buying a lot of expensive property, this would make a big difference to you, and it would be worth your solicitor spending extra hours looking into what can be done.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In the past you recommended asking solicitors/accountants to find loopholes for their clients, what's changed?
Nothing has changed. If you read this thread, I said I think the way stamp duty is set out is unfair. I've never tried to avoid stamp duty, but if my solicitor had told me I could I would have. I'd have done so knowing I was already paying a large chunk of tax, and I'd have been making my own moral judgement on whether I thought it fair that I be paying so much stamp duty. I've also said in this thread that I don't blame those earning a lot of money for trying to pay less than 40 or 50% tax, maybe trying to pay closer to 25%, and that I think there's a huge difference between trying to save a bit and completely raping the system.

Some here are arguing that earning £3m and paying 1% tax is like the rest of us having an ISA. You could equally say that if you've ever copied a friend's CD then that's the same as if you spend every day breaking into people's homes to steal their possessions. They're both illegal theft, so what's the difference.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Nothing has changed. If you read this thread, I said I think the way stamp duty is set out is unfair. I've never tried to avoid stamp duty, but if my solicitor had told me I could I would have. I'd have done so knowing I was already paying a large chunk of tax, and I'd have been making my own moral judgement on whether I thought it fair that I be paying so much stamp duty. I've also said in this thread that I don't blame those earning a lot of money for trying to pay less than 40 or 50% tax, maybe trying to pay closer to 25%, and that I think there's a huge difference between trying to save a bit and completely raping the system.

Thanks for the reply. I know it's wrong and I'm not defending what he's done, but surely its objective if you're happy to bend the rules on some tax and not others. It's funny that ministers with the legal system in their pockets can do it for decades but when a celebrity does it and gets found out the whole country is on his back. It's very tiresome how our country follows tabloid hysteria. Maybe we can move onto more important things now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks for the reply.
Not at all.
I know it's wrong and I'm not defending what he's done, but surely its objective if you're happy to bend the rules on some tax and not others.
To me, it's not which rule you break, or even if you don't break any. Copying a CD is breaking the rules, it genuinely is left, but it is not the same as making a living from stealing people's tangible possessions. It's the extent of what they're doing, the unnecessary gluttony of it that I'm so outraged by. It was legal to go hunting humans in parts of the world not that long ago. If it was still legal, would that make it ok - would it be the same as shooting a rabbit?

It's funny that ministers with the legal system in their pockets can do it for decades but when a celebrity does it and gets found out the whole country is on his back.
I'm not against it because of who we're talking about (although the fact that he's done political shows and taken the piss out of greedy MPs (re expenses) is very pot/kettle). And I don't think the public would be less annoyed if a minister had been found to be doing it. He's not the only one doing it, and I think they're all as bad as each other - they should all be made to pay (the government should make an effort to see if they can find these actions illegal).

It's very tiresome how our country follows tabloid hysteria. Maybe we can move onto more important things now.
I agree about the tabloids, but I don't think we should move on from this. I think that all those paying 1% tax should be stopped; our economy needs their money, and if people know that the rich are getting away with it they're more likely to try and cheat a little themselves.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Av8LfkCCQAA6akA.jpg

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I pay my fair share (in 2 countries;UK and South Africa). This Carr **** avoided around 1million quid in one year alone. Don't tar everyone with your brush and your moral standards. If you're paying 20% then congratulations but if you're paying 1% I would like to see you jailed, even if it is currently legal. I hope they bring in retrospective legislation to nail the scumbags.
You talk shit. Like to see people jailed even if its legal? We can all see who the commie is on here! But they can't jail anyone wally. They are within the law. I agree completely the loophole should be slamed shut today.... but it never will be.

Everyone should pay their fair share, but all the time taxes are spunked on nothing, then I for one wouldn't lose sleep about paying as little as I legally can. There are hundreds of more immoral things going on within the law today. Just get over it and stop being jealous that someones earns more than you!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here