Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 out of 10 cats

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Everyone on PAYE bleating like f*** about Jimmy Carr doing wrong. Ha.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The point I was making and I think we agree on this, is that it is not "fair" what he did, but unless it is "illegal" it is going to happen.
Yes it is, and when it's someone in the public eye, I think they should be made to pay (with public opinion etc).

I would like to see Cameron make it "illegal" rather than pay lip service to it.
I don't think this is up to Cameron alone, this is up to the public and all MPs. Hypothetically, if all MPs were in on the scheme, a PM would struggle to get them to vote against it. This should matter to people.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Sorry for not replying sooner, I was watching 8 out of 10.
Jon Richardson acted like he's annoyed with Jimmy, and this won't be the last of it, but I'm concerned they'll let him get away with it. Angus Deyton had Hislop and Merton next to him, and they would never let it go, so Deyton was out. I doubt that'll happen with 8 out of 10, which is a shame. What Jimmy's done is inexcusable, and he shouldn't get away with it.

To most of the guests,it did seen that his misdemeanours either went over their heads, or was slightly humorous. But John Richardson looked pretty pissed off. Nice point that the economy suffers when people like Carr dodge taxes. And nice point that it was slightly hypocritical of Cameron to make political gain out of this, considering that his family fortune was based on his father hiding cash on offshore accounts. As others have said, I think Carr will survive this as dodging tax is seen as more palatable than Deytons sex and drug binge.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i trust you've never engaged in tax avoidance Triggaaar, like a booze/fag cruise or paying a tradesman in cash, or writing off an expense as work related?

he's taken it on the chin, at the end of the day he's not broken any law. amongst all the self rightousness about this, what annoys me is the myth its the preserve of the rich, when the everyday bod does the same. chances are anyone self emplyed or a contractor is carrying out tax avoidance, people work cash in hand (not so much maybe these days) or have assets in trusts for their children. you dont need expensive accounts to minimise your tax within the law.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The next time any of you hypocrites pay a builder or mechanic cash because you,re getting a bit of a deal, stop and have a think, why don't you.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hopefully some good will come of this. It's legal but as Carr says he f***ed up. Like Fifa needs goal line technology this government need to shut these schemes down as a matter of priority.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i trust you've never engaged in tax avoidance Triggaaar, like a booze/fag cruise or paying a tradesman in cash, or writing off an expense as work related?
I'm simply stating how I feel. I know, hand on heart, I would never have done what he has done (I'd have tried to get my bill down to 25% odd, if I could). I'm no preacher, I don't pretend to do everything the way it should be done, but I find what he's done upsetting.
he's taken it on the chin
On the chin? He earns £3m a year and doesn't pay his tax, how is going 'mmm, I've got no defence' taking it on the chin? He's dealing with it publicly the way his PR guru has told him to.
what annoys me is the myth its the preserve of the rich, when the everyday bod does the same. chances are anyone self emplyed or a contractor is carrying out tax avoidance, people work cash in hand (not so much maybe these days) or have assets in trusts for their children. you dont need expensive accounts to minimise your tax within the law.
But as I've said above, there's a difference between people trying to save a bit, and someone completely raping the system.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hopefully some good will come of this. It's legal but as Carr says he f***ed up. Like Fifa needs goal line technology this government need to shut these schemes down as a matter of priority.

Yeah like the concern they showed over Sir Phillip.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
The next time any of you hypocrites pay a builder or mechanic cash because you,re getting a bit of a deal, stop and have a think, why don't you.

This is very true, and I can honestly say I've never done this. But to Play devils advocate slightly. Isn't there a difference between Joe Bloggs, trying to make ends meat in difficult times and saving a bit of money. And a millionaire comedian deliberately avoiding paying tax through a dodgy (all be it legal) off shore tax scheme

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I'm simply stating how I feel. I know, hand on heart, I would never have done what he has done (I'd have tried to get my bill down to 25% odd, if I could). I'm no preacher, I don't pretend to do everything the way it should be done, but I find what he's done upsetting.
On the chin? He earns £3m a year and doesn't pay his tax, how is going 'mmm, I've got no defence' taking it on the chin? He's dealing with it publicly the way his PR guru has told him to.
But as I've said above, there's a difference between people trying to save a bit, and someone completely raping the system.

lol, you lie.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

lol, you lie.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would bet money you stink of hypocrisy
You'd lose your money.
lol, you lie.
Nope. I'm on my soap box for this, because it's annoyed me, but my point is that I don't generally go preaching about how right or wrong people are. I don't claim to be whiter than white, and I don't berate others that veer across the line. The point is, this isn't crossing the line, it's way past that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

no, there really isnt, only the numbers involved differ. an IT contractor could be paying only £500 a year tax using the same practice. think of it like this, at even 1% he most certainly paid more tax than you and the vast majority of the population.

the solution to this of course is a simpler tax system, dare i say flat tax. but certain groups of politicians wont entertain these ideas because they cant favor their prefered cohort or say such a system isnt "progressive" as if thats the most important part of taxation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
no, there really isnt, only the numbers involved differ. an IT contractor could be paying only £500 a year tax using the same practice.
I disagree with you, I think that IT consultant would also be out of order, just not to the same greedy extreme. Like for example, most of us think that there should be a higher rate of tax, be it 40%, 50% or whatever. We think that those earning large sums should pay a higher percentage, so although I think it's wrong for anyone to be paying 1%, I think it's worse when the person earns a vast sum.
think of it like this, at even 1% he most certainly paid more tax than you and the vast majority of the population.
I know, but I don't think that matters one jot.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I disagree with you, I think that IT consultant would also be out of order, just not to the same greedy extreme. Like for example, most of us think that there should be a higher rate of tax, be it 40%, 50% or whatever. We think that those earning large sums should pay a higher percentage, so although I think it's wrong for anyone to be paying 1%, I think it's worse when the person earns a vast sum.
I know, but I don't think that matters one jot.

Why? Usually, people who earn more money do so because they have worked for it, developed a skill, gone to medical school, law school, or perfected a craft or particular skill. Why should they dedicate their life to something, and then be charged more for it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We think that those earning large sums should pay a higher percentage
Why? Usually, people who earn more money do so because they have worked for it, developed a skill, gone to medical school, law school, or perfected a craft or particular skill. Why should they dedicate their life to something, and then be charged more for it?
Maybe you think the top rate of tax should be 20%, and that's fine, I'm just saying that's not what most people think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here