Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2012 December 21 (end of Mayan calender) what do you think will happen?

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Didn't the Mayans believe that everything works in cycles - the moon goes round the earth, the earth goes round the sun and seasons on earth ete ete.. And the most incredible cycle they worked out was the 'precession of the equinoxes' which is what they based their calender on. This is something that happens over a 24000 year period and is to do with the earths axis of rotation, it moves 1% every 70 years or so. I think this is why the Mayan calendar ends when it does because we are coming to the end of this vast cycle. They understood humans to be interlinked with the environment and the cosmos and believed we also exist in cycles of existence which is why some people think things are changing on that date..

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Didn't the Mayans believe that everything works in cycles - the moon goes round the earth, the earth goes round the sun and seasons on earth ete ete.. And the most incredible cycle they worked out was the 'precession of the equinoxes' which is what they based their calender on. This is something that happens over a 24000 year period and is to do with the earths axis of rotation, it moves 1% every 70 years or so. I think this is why the Mayan calendar ends when it does because we are coming to the end of this vast cycle. They understood humans to be interlinked with the environment and the cosmos and believed we also exist in cycles of existence which is why some people think things are changing on that date..

Try telling that to largeone.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Whats a troll?

A prophet, a wise seer of the world and everything in it. Someone who speaks words of wisdom and should be followed and listened to with great interest.

Or a wind up merchant. One of these two, can't remember which.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Why would you need to tell me?

You just can't handle the fact that I am a generally happy person who hasn't bought into your fairy stories - hence your futile attempt at conversion. The fact that there is an different belief structure beyond your own seems to pass you by.

Who are you talking to Kip or me?

oh and as you've been hitting me with all the questions and interagations, now my turn. Why does someone else's faith cause you such an issue? I'm basing this question on your first comment on the thread. Which sounded very angry and ignorant rather than this spiritual, happy character you've constructed in your virtual reality world which goes by the name of Northstand chat. It dosen't matter if you smile, or if your polite and well mannered. Its wether you live your life with faith. The Devil hinds behind a nice smile. Remember that on your quest for god.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes, but then the cycle simply moves on to the next (12.x.x.x.x rolls over to 13.0.0.0.0), and they didnt make any prophecies of what happens.

but try telling that to Falmer.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
A prophet, a wise seer of the world and everything in it. Someone who speaks words of wisdom and should be followed and listened to with great interest.

Or a wind up merchant. One of these two, can't remember which.

well I'm neither. I'm just someone who knows alot more than you.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Its The End Of The World As We Know It...And I Feel Fine

Back to the OP, what do I think will happen? I lot of crazies will huddle together, proclaim it's the end of the world (or something similar) and... nothing. The clock will continue, the sun will rise, life will continue, and the crazies will just look even more silly. Just like every other 'end-of-days' prophecy that's existed before now.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Whats a troll?

In Norse mythology, troll, like thurs is a term applied to jötnar. In Old Norse sources, trolls are said to dwell in isolated mountains, rocks, and caves, sometimes live together (usually as father-and-daughter or mother-and-son), and are rarely described as helpful or friendly

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Falmer, I think you are brave coming onto a football forum and talking about your beliefs. But I don't know what you expected really. I have read alot about ancient history and quantum physics meeting religion and spiritualism etc so I can understand what you are saying. I think you need to be careful though telling people you know more than them as other people will have their own convictions which will be equally strong for them.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Falmer, I think you are brave coming onto a football forum and talking about your beliefs. But I don't know what you expected really. I have read alot about ancient history and quantum physics meeting religion and spiritualism etc so I can understand what you are saying. I think you need to be careful though telling people you know more than them as other people will have their own convictions which will be equally strong for them.

Perhaps Sid has got another bet going and he's tried to be a little cleverer about it

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
He's a WUM. This thread is a good laugh and nothing more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here