Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1m immigrants given British citizenship in the past decade!

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
For me, the issue is the government's (and successive governments') lack of a mandate for imposing large-scale immigration on the indigenous population. With regard to the Blair governments, where, in any of the three manifestos, on the basis of which they were elected, is the subject of immigration even mentioned? Since 1997, immigration to this country has occurred at a rate that is unsustainable. It has occurred by stealth. I refer only to legal immigration. I do not refer to asylum-seekers and illegal immigrants, of which most people in this country agree there are far too many. Are not the British people entitled to be consulted when the government engineers a significant increase in the population, thereby putting a tremendous strain on public services (which Blair and his cronies do not use) and causing an imbalance in the demographic of the country that will cause problems in the long term?

Monkster

Ragamuffin
Jul 7, 2003
The Token Carlisle United Fan
Do you think the Spanish feel the same way about the British with the amount of migrants that have moved to the spanish costa's in the last 20yrs?

Only about 3 MILLION living in Spain now.....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Monkster said:
Do you think the Spanish feel the same way about the British with the amount of migrants that have moved to the spanish costa's in the last 20yrs?

Only about 3 MILLION living in Spain now.....

At the risk of sounding like a BNP candidate that's a rather different situation, people who have gone to live in Spain have bought holiday property or retired out there or have set up a business there. It's not quite the same situation although I doubt that the Spanish (or anybody else) is too keen on a lot of holiday makers.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
bhaexpress said:
At the risk of sounding like a BNP candidate that's a rather different situation, people who have gone to live in Spain have bought holiday property or retired out there or have set up a business there. It's not quite the same situation although I doubt that the Spanish (or anybody else) is too keen on a lot of holiday makers.

Retired isn't really contributing to the economy of their host nation though. Can ex UK residents still claim a state pension if living abroad?

People don't come to UK to retire, they come to work :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I cannot be bothered to read the whole thread however I am sure Algae is delighted with this news.

Anyway I thought being in the EU allowed you to work anywhere in it therefore you would live near where you work.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
If in doubt kick em out! Is that race hate or football? I forget.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
ginadim said:
Retired isn't really contributing to the economy of their host nation though. Can ex UK residents still claim a state pension if living abroad?

Easily done if you open a Spanish bank account and just get it paid in there. I suspect you can even have your pension in Euros if required.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ginadim said:

how do you work that out?

Do retired people not pay tax?

Do retired people not pay VAT?

Do retired people not pay car tax, or fuel duty?

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Dave the Gaffer said:
how do you work that out?

Do retired people not pay tax?

Do retired people not pay VAT?

Do retired people not pay car tax, or fuel duty?

Ok, they do contribute, but not as much as their fellow working citizens.

The majority of immigrants to the UK are of working age. I don't know about the age dems for those leaving. It would appear that they are older people though. Therefore the UK is actually benefitting from more workers coming in as older ones retire and leave.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I like immigrants - they make smashing prostitutes.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Re: Re: 1m immigrants given British citizenship in the past decade!

Tom Hark said:
fast-buck knobs emigrating to all points between Bulgaria and Mongolia because they can buy a fake-contemporary shack with a pathetic wow! factor for about thruppence.

That'll be me then :clap2:

and I cant f***ing wait...

Seems that there is a lot of immigration 'in' at the moment, which is a good thing because our economy needs it, but as soon as you have made your wedge, get the hell out ,and go and live somewhere less f***ing damp and with a decent quality of life...

You can always pop back on Easyjet to see the Albion play.

:smokin:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Les Biehn said:
If in doubt kick em out! Is that race hate or football? I forget.

Depends which load of balls you're talking about.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ginadim said:

Erm, when people retire they live on pensions they've earned. Yes Brits who retire abroad are fully entitled to their pensions as after all they've paid for it.

You're right about people not coming here to retire though.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ginadim said:
The majority of immigrants to the UK are of working age. I don't know about the age dems for those leaving. It would appear that they are older people though. Therefore the UK is actually benefitting from more workers coming in as older ones retire and leave.

Yep, you have a valid point. It's been said over and over again that most of the immigrants do a better job for less money and that's a good deal to do with some people's attitude.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The math is running in the immigrants' favor.

Worst-case Italy's got a serious negative birthrate, and half of its' population will be over 60 by 2050.

Who's going to pay for the OAP when everyone's OA?

You'll be glad of your new, younger fellow-citizens when you retire.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Tell you what, anyone who thibks there's too many immigrants.

Get up at about 5 in the morning and then have a look at who is out working at that time. Odds on they aint't Anglo-Saxon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here