Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thomas Tuchel **Appointed England Manager 15/10/24**

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Keegan's got the worst win percentage of 38.9%. P18 W7 D7 L4.

And seeing as it's not all about win percentages ;), I was at the last competitive game at the old Wembley - a WC qualifier with Germany.

A dismal performance, a home defeat and Keegan resigns immediately afterwards in the toilet.

A more apt location for his departure would've been hard to find.

At least Tuchel should be spared that.

From FA Confidential by David Davies:

The old Wembley closed down in humiliation. Even the heavens wept for England. But no one at the FA could have predicted what happened next. On entering the dressing room, I couldn't believe the scene. Steam poured out of the showers, making it difficult to see who was where, but I glimpsed Kevin in one corner. Tony Adams, David Beckham and other players sat around in various states of undress.

'David, you tell him not to do it,' shouted Tony, who was completely fired up.
'David, he'll listen to you,' pleaded Becks, who was in tears.
'What?'
'Talk to him,' Tony said.
'Who?'
'Kevin!' Tony and David both yelled.
They didn't need to tell me what Kevin had done. He'd thrown in the towel. I knew it. I looked at Kevin.

'Don't leave. You have to stay.'
'No, no, no,' Kevin replied. 'I'm off. I'm not for this.'
'This isn't happening,' I thought. I wasn't prepared mentally for such a situation. Think fast. Calm things down. Lock away the emotions. Shift into work mode.
'Come on, let's go,' said Kevin, 'I'm ready to face the press.'
'No, you're bloody not. We're having a talk before you go anywhere near the press.'

Where on earth could we find that was private? The tunnel? Crawling with television reporters. The dressing room? Heaving with emotional players. The bath area? I couldn't hold a vital conversation with an England manager as players dived into the water. Only one option presented itself. The toilet cubicles. A dramatic moment in England's long football history occurred in the ancient loos of a stadium facing demolition. The impending destruction could almost be smelled in the air.

Dragging Kevin into a cubicle, I shut the door behind us. We stood there, facing each other. 'You can't change my mind,' Kevin said. 'I'm out of here. I'm not up to it. I'm going out to the press to tell them I'm not up to it. I can't motivate the players. I can't get the extra bit out of these players that I need.'

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It'll be an "interesting" experiment with Tommy, so no complaints from me. And you can't argue with his record compared to other "contenders". Plus he's unemployed. Maybe, hopefully, let us pray that he is suited to international management being a bit of a tactician. Plus hasn't he always had issues with those above him, falling out over transfer issues etc. He should be able to deal inshort bursts with big name players better than a Potter or Carsley. I'm definitely warming to the idea. Besides there's always the comedy of Herr Flick managing Engerland.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He was dealt a very bad hand with the players available though.
Really, a good manager would have brought home a trophy with the likes of Geoff Thomas and Carlton Palmer in the team!!!

Seriously though, he had Beardsley, Barnes, Lineker and host of other top quality players.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
The FA needs to give its head a wobble

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So what you're saying is stats i.e. routine wins in qualifying games against minnows and meaningless friendlies negates Rob Green - USA, stinking the place out and being boo-ed off in a bore draw against Algeria, finishing 2nd in the EASY-est group imaginable where, as a consequence, faced the much harder tie V Germany where we were annihilated 4-1?

So you don't like those foreign managers who mess up major tournaments, you prefer English managers who've failed to qualify for them in the first place

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Even if he won something with England the rest of the world would take the piss haha England only won with a German in charge.

Is that what they did when the Lionesses won the Euros? I couldn't give a shit if they tried to take the piss for that :shrug:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I think for a foreign manager to be successful they need to have proven experience managing in England and understand our game. Where the FA went wrong with Capello and Sven is they chose managers that were not just foreign but had also never managed in the premier league and had no practical experience of English football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't like having a foreign coach. This is nation vs nation, it should be OUR best vs the ROTW. We should STAND OR FALL according to our own domestic talent on the pitch, and in the dugout. Yes there have been exceptions made before (which worked well didn't it), but it should always be an englishman in charge of the England team. Our best against everyone elses.

Doubtless the point has already been made, but never in a million years would Germany appoint an englishman as manager. It is such a sad indictment on football in this country that an english manager has never won the EPL, or been given a top job in domestic football in more than a generation (except perhaps FF, but he was only ever going to get 5 minutes).

Whatever we achieve under Tuchel will be diluted by the fact that we can't produce coaches of our own who are capable of the job. I want success for England, but not at the cost of resorting to another ringer to try to achieve it.

Sad times.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here