Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thomas Tuchel **Appointed England Manager 15/10/24**

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What a bloody disaster. Would rather have stuck with Southgate or Carsley. I predict he will be sacked within 2 years like every other major job he has had.
I must admit when Southgate left I wanted Carsley. Not because I was a particular fan but because we'd tried everything else: the successful club manager, the unsuccessful club manager, the assistant and the storied foreigner. What else was left? We may as well try the 'insider', the guy who had come up through the ranks, knew the set up, and, let's not forget, had been very successful in a junior role.

All was going (relatively) well until that Greek game. Jeez. It was like going for an interview, sitting in front of the panel, impressing them, and then deciding to get up and have a piss in the pot plant in the corner of the room. He was toast after that.

So we're back with the storied foreigner. I guess it could be worse. Heigh ho.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Granted, win percentage doesn't give the full picture of success.

But then again my understanding of "worst" wouldn't include the one with the best managerial record.

When it comes to logical positions, even the most anglocentric of supporters might consider that a bit of a reach.
No, let's have it right, you first peresented a table proclaiming Capello to be the best England manager ever, then when the stupifity of that is pointed out i.e. by that you are saying Capello was better than Sir Bobby and El Tel you disown the silly table and change your angle.

and yes, I stand by worse manager re: Sven, considering the players available. He was brought in to change the National game after we were tactically inept after Keegan, and he failed miserably despite having a squad oozing with top players: Owen, Rooney, Rio, Terry, Ash Cole, Gerrard, Lamps, Beckham, Scholes. Yet Could only muster 2 quarters with that set of players. Any manager could win a tournament blindfolded with those players. And instead of the technical modern football he was supposed to herald we got boring hoofball, the national team went backwards and a golden generation was wasted. Total fraud

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Forget "Why " .. you should be asking " How " ? ... Brexit was meant to stop these Europeans coming over and stealing our jobs .
I really hope Fabian Hurzeler isn’t reading Nsc. I think Brighton fans should keep schtum.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I must admit when Southgate left I wanted Carsley. Not because I was a particular fan but because we'd tried everything else: the successful club manager, the unsuccessful club manager, the assistant and the storied foreigner. What else was left? We may as well try the 'insider', the guy who had come up through the ranks, knew the set up, and, let's not forget, had been very successful in a junior role.

All was going (relatively) well until that Greek game. Jeez. It was like going for an interview, sitting in front of the panel, impressing them, and then deciding to get up and have a piss in the pot plant in the corner of the room. He was toast after that.

So we're back with the storied foreigner. I guess it could be worse. Heigh ho.
Reminds me of when I interviewed for a Japanese government backed job teaching English in schools in Japan. I rocked up to the Japanese embassy in London fully prepared with all kinds of answers to the difficult questions I was expecting to get concerning tricky cultural and social situations I'd find myself in in a Japanese classroom or living in a small town/village as the only foreigner only to be stumped by the softest of soft opening questions:

Why do you want to go to Japan?

Absolutely flummoxed me.

Needless to say, like Carsley, I didn't get the job.

Also like Carsley my job went to someone capable of clearly expressing why they wanted it.

Unlike Carsley that person was another Englishman(or Brit).

Not sure how I feel about Tuchel. He seems the exact opposite of Southgate which is not what I think we need. W need a more tactically astute Southgate but one who keeps all of his positives. Tuchel might be better tactically but he apears to fall out with everyone at every club he goes to. I don't know if his greater tactical know how will be enough to supersede demotivated players.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No, let's have it right, you first peresented a table proclaiming Capello to be the best England manager ever, then when the stupifity of that is pointed out i.e. by that you are saying Capello was better than Sir Bobby and El Tel you disown the silly table and change your angle.

No he didn't. I've just looked back at the post. He didn't say any such thing.

You made the statement "the worst England managers were both foreign".

The poster then simply put a table showing Capello had the highest win % and questioned how he could be the worst ever.

He never said he was the best ever. No one has. You are going off on weird rants against things that haven't even been said.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Hoddle was the one who got away. We were playing some really nice stuff under him until the… unpleasantness

Sven gets criticised for "only" making the quarters after taking us over on a low, Hoddle took over after Euro96 and only made the second round

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

and yes, I stand by worse manager re: Sven, considering the players available. He was brought in to change the National game after we were tactically inept after Keegan, and he failed miserably despite having a squad oozing with top players: Owen, Rooney, Rio, Terry, Ash Cole, Gerrard, Lamps, Beckham, Scholes. Yet Could only muster 2 quarters with that set of players. Any manager could win a tournament blindfolded with those players. And instead of the technical modern football he was supposed to herald we got boring hoofball, the national team went backwards and a golden generation was wasted. Total fraud
:laugh:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Is that what they did when the Lionesses won the Euros? I couldn't give a shit if they tried to take the piss for that :shrug:
For right or wrong its a very different thing winning the World Cup with... Frank Rijkaard in charge than it is with a German.

Of course you will all be happy clappy if England go and win it, but in the eyes of the rest of the world it would be a laughter. A German manager winning it for England is the final level of humiliation: age old arch rival on all levels, but unfortunately your country can't produce a man intelligent enough to compete with them, so you kneel and put them in charge. Thats, again for right or wrong, what the global laughter will be all about if you go and win. Its a little bit like Liverpool winning the league for the first time in a billion years... with no one there to see it. A title lost in context.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
You are right to laugh, this is a sense of entitlement that the media inflate to stupid levels.
England have over achieved lately, we have a few solid and flair attacking options, but if the truth be known, we are or have not been solid through the core of the squad, yes we can beat any team in the world when we play to our strengths, but we can also be beat by any team in the world.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
For right or wrong its a very different thing winning the World Cup with... Frank Rijkaard in charge than it is with a German.

Of course you will all be happy clappy if England go and win it, but in the eyes of the rest of the world it would be a laughter. A German manager winning it for England is the final level of humiliation: age old arch rival on all levels, but unfortunately your country can't produce a man intelligent enough to compete with them, so you kneel and put them in charge. Thats, again for right or wrong, what the global laughter will be all about if you go and win. Its a little bit like Liverpool winning the league for the first time in a billion years... with no one there to see it. A title lost in context.
Now you have reverted back to silly and bitter mode, no one will be laughing and if they did who cares, for someone how wants barriers and understanding about people’s emotions, tolerance, equality etc etc.
your going to laugh because a different nationality manager won something for another country….

you sound bitter here.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
So, now you got your manager and you might got the players to win the WC (sort the defense and choose the next Kane now). What you lack is a no nonsense captain, a Lothar Matthäus, to steer the squad to the title. Hope you find him.

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024

"Global laughter" is a silly exaggeration but I agree that an international tournament won by a coach of a different nationality devalues the victory, and goes against the entire point of international competition. I don’t give a toss what the global audience thinks but I personally would feel short-changed.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house

Sven neutered talented players like Joe Cole and Rio. Rio said once it was really frustrating not being allowed to play his normal creative game.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
You are right to laugh, this is a sense of entitlement that media inflate to stupid levels.
In truth we have over achieved lately, we have a few solid and flair attacking options, but if the truth be known.
We are or have not been solid through the core of the squad, yes we can beat any team in the world when we play to our strengths, but we can also be beat by any team in the world.
Well, exactly.

Usually, and this was also the case during the so called Golden Generation, there's a handful of nations that quite simply have better teams. Brazil was always the most likely team to win the 2002 World Cup. Portugal, France, Netherlands and arguably Italy had stronger squads than England in 2004, although Greece f***ed everyone in the end. Similar goes for 2006.

The key to winning World Cups and Euro tournaments is to have players playing in the best teams, meaning Real Madrid and FC Barcelona. Michael Owen, frequently mentioned as a golden generation player and "one you should of won the World Cup with" showed in his season with Real Madrid that he was technically inferior to their standards. And then some manager is supposed to win a tournament with him and Emile Heskey up front, competing against the likes of Raul and Ronaldo...

The tournament this summer was probably as close England has come to having the best squad player by player. But even this time it was a bit like before: talk, hype, hopes, expectations... and then a team filled with Barca or Real schooled players - including some fecking 16-year-old - show that they're on a different level.

That said, Tommy the German or not Tommy the German, I think England will catch up with the top top nations which should obviously increase chances of winning. A sign of the time is that Jude Bellingham is a key player for Real Madrid, whereas predecessors David Beckham and Michael Owen were there primarly for commercial reasons.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No other "top" nation (and despite the usual naysayers, the rankings confirm that we are) has ever resorted to this.
Point of order but Brazil have on multiple occasions, and most would say they’re a top international team

I do agree though that this should be seen as a massive failure on the part of the Premier League in particular that no English talent has come through

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here