Things you miss about the Goldstone

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
pissing against the wall in toilets

goldstone gamble

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by withdeanwombat
Strewth!You had it easy.When i was there it was up through the copse to yhr top of Snakey Hill,then down and along past the Nevil (Arms?) and back in via Frant Road.

When you grew up you had to walk up Snakey Hill,where the run would go down to Waterhall,then back up alongside the golf course returning to the start along Devil's Dyke Road.

Now,that was a cross country!

We will never see its like again.

(blows nose,wipes eyes.Be strong......be strong!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and then that eveil b@@@@d Geoff garland would put down his cream cake and send you round again

Christ! That brings back terrible memories :eek:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
jimmyseagull said:
Just as you were walking along the back of the North stand on your way in and hearing that singing.

Oh those were the days, i f***ing well miss an atmosphere at home games.

And then that bit when you climbed the steps and got the first glimpse of green turf. Fantastic.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
dave the gaffer said:
did you know, the bit at the front of the East Terrace that was closed ( just along from the centre line) was actually closed because I fell down the terracing ( Blackburn at home - celebrating the 2nd goal fell over) and was carted off to hospital. I buggered by ankle ( not literally) and the safety officer sited this as an example of why it should be closed.

Do you remember the stand finished by the walkway with huge boards up stopping people from going down there.

:down: :down:

My God. I was standing with my dad and watched you do that. I used to stand by you for years. There was always 2 blokes who stood directly in front of me and would shout at the linesman for 90 minutes even when his decisions were spot on. I used to listen to my Dad and his mates moan for 90 minutes about anything and everything, usually thier wifes.

I would say its a small world but as this is a Brighton message board, that's going overboard.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I used to live a half mile from the Goldstone. We could estimate the crowd from the number of cars parked in our road.

Best memories:
Night games; going up the North Stand steps in a darkness that was blown away on the other side by a wall of noise and a brilliantly lit, green pitch.

Those weird, opponent-unsettling night fogs that regularly drifted in from the Channel....

Ron Pavey blowing into the mic twice to see if it was on. Just going into saying 'Good evening everybody!' would have worked better, and sounded just a tad more professional.

Happy days...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Kaney, I thought that pissing against the wall in the toilets was the goldstone gamble, it was evens that your feet would get wet!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Storer68 said:
and then that eveil b@@@@d Geoff garland would put down his cream cake and send you round again

Aha!! But revenge is sweet.

I was watching from the huts the day he drove in in his brand new Triumph Herald,stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake and rammed the woodwork room wall.

Should have stuck to his bike!

.....and Bill Curry,Johnny Goodchild,Jack Bertolini,The Haywards Heath Town Band,Colours v Stripes,sitting on my Dad's shoulders to see Aston Villa,my first alone game (v Middles brough,4-6).

Can anybody else remember a player jumping up to catch a ball going east terrace-wards and falling over into the terrace?In an evening youth game,I think.

The St Johns Ambulance,"Harry Roberts is our friend....",the centre spot NOT being in a souvenir collectors bucket.Wondering if I should by an extra copy of the programme for Brighton Wrexham in the league cup and deciding....nah,one's enough.

Memories are made of this!....sobs,dabs eyes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jimmy Saville said:
"Gritt believes Belotti bullshit" daubed on the walls

Written outside the West Stand on 14th December 1996 by my wife's father. My wife woke up early to drive to Heathrow to pick me up from my work stint in Melbourne. At the same time her Dad and sister headed to The Goldstone, where my father-in-law daubed those legendary words.

He also did some work around the East Side as Hull (our opponents that day) were having troubles with their chairman Fish.

We beat Hull 3-0 on that day - our first home win since the day, 7th September, I departed for Australia. From that day onward our home form read W9 D2 L0 - it was championship form. It kept us in the league and, arguably, ensured we still had a club to support. The Goldstone was home like nowhere ever will be. There will always be thoughts that bring me to tears, like now, because it was the centre of my footballing world.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
What a fantastic thread, all those memorys, how brilliant it was to read it all and cast my mind back to those days, so may of you reminded me about things i had forgotton about, im sure i probably know loads of you from that era, i wonder if its possible to do a sort of school reunion thing, but instead do a "North stand reunion" !!! lol ....

More threads like this please, very enjoyable :clap: :clap: :clap2: :clap2:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Going to the chip shop on Sackville Rd on the way home, for 3p of chips, open with salt and vinegar.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Like most of us, my footballing 'career' saw me move around The Goldstone. My first game was on a seat on the far West side of the South Stand. It was a seat and there was a roof. But it rained and I got bloody drenched. After some time on the East Stand, I spent days on the West (South) Terrace before many years as a season ticket holder in the seats above.

I met "Papa Lazarou" on one of my first days in the world of proper work and moved to the North Stand. I met my wife on the North Stand - we weren't some bizarre friendless freaks it was a 'friend of a friend' thing. We now have a daughter who has the middle name of 'Zamora'. The Goldstone, god bless it, has a lot to answer for.

In years to come I'll remember it for the most exciting football I ever saw which, believe it or not, involve Stuart Storer down one side, Paul McDonald down the other with Baird and Maskell finishing those moves off into the North goal with the crowd sucking the ball into the goal. As I say - W9 D2 L0 - results which saved the football club we love today.

I remember the board next to the pitch with letters of the alphabet where they displayed the half time scores in other games.

I also seem to remember at some time there used to be a bloke who carried a half time scoreboard round the track (or maybe my memory is playing tricks)

*get that bloody board out of the way*

Also when I first started going (1959) you could start watching the game from behind one goal and at halftime walk to the other end and watch the second half from behind the other.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I miss the fact that going to a game at the Goldstone was actually exciting .

And I can assure those older members of the board who said that it was no fun going to the goldstone in her later years that there is no comparison between the Goldstone then and Withdean now. I had the (mis)fortune to only spend the last decade of the goldstones existance going to games there. Started in 88 finished in 97. For those ten years I saw a club and ground in terminal decline (apart form the glorious play-off year) but the Goldsone still offered so much more than Withdean has or ever could. The atmosphere and the crowds may not have been so big but the smaller things, wlaking across hove park, the walk up the steps before emerging at the top of the stand and seeing all before you, the crowd surges, the free movement, the being squeezed in and having to go wherever the mass of bodies took you, the being able to laugh, joke, shout, and swear without stewards being all over you, being able to STAND, being able to choose your part of the ground, tickets being reasonably priced, being able to pay on the day, the closeness to the pitch and players, the roof that made the north stand seem so loud(when you were in it) and so much more mean that the Goldstone is still and always will be incomparably better than Withdean.

To be honest, by the end the Goldstone was in a horrible state of disrepair, but I would have given pretty much anything to have enjoyed the successes of the past five years at the Goldstone instead of at Withdean.

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
I keep having this recurring dream that the Goldstone was never demolished and that they are re-opening it. I walk up the Old Shoreham road and hear the crowd inside. sometimes i get inside to watch the crowd grow but I always wake up just before the game starts. awesome dream anyway.

One thing I really miss is after the game walking down the northstand steps and joining the masses walking down the closed old shoreham road, maybe chanting if we'd won, or in the latter days running round to the west stand to protest at whoever would listen. I can remember one protest when a few of us did a sit-down at the old shoreham/sackville junction stopping traffic and generally causing a nuisance. I looked up and my girlfriend's dad was in the first car we'd stopped. he didn't spot me. i was relieved.
(he wasn't an albion fan)

:albion:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here