Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you miss about the Goldstone

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Standing at the back of the north stand, the noise bouncing off the roof. The sense of ownership of that place - you never realise it til it's gone.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Standing. Specifically, standing right at the back of the North Stand, under the 'o' of the 'Hove Superstore' Co-op advert, with my back against the back wall, behind the goal.

Coming up the road, buying a programme from the sellers on the Church steps, and looking at how full the North Stand was before I got to it.

A lot of people have said the smell - for me, it was the mix of tobacco smoke and frying onions that was most evocative. Withdean simply doesn't smell like that, even though the same type of shit's being cooked and the same stuff's being smoked.

Having a home, frankly. A home which places, and partly defines, the club - the only thing which is supposed to be around longer than the fans.

I went by there for the first time in a few years over the weekend, and the sense of loss remains - it still looks wrong without the back of the North Stand and the floodlights. Even Falmer, essential that it is to have it, and brilliant that it will no doubt be, will never come close. Somebody else said that, earlier in the thread - if you don't have a period of going to a ground during your youth, you'll never identify with it as strongly as most of us do with the Goldstone.

I'll never feel as strong an affinity for Falmer as I did, and still do, for the Goldstone because it was part of the fabric of my growing up. A whole generation of Brighton kids has been denied that because of what those bastards did. I'm confident it won't happen to a second generation.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
The thing i miss most is the feeling that everyone was up for it(in the North Stand) , the atmosphere, the trouble, whatever, everyone was in it together, you didn't even personally know half of them,but for 90 mins they were one of your mates.........unlike nowadays at Withdean when you get squabble after squabble between fans who should all be pulling together.
Terraces were a superb place to watch from in the 70's to the 90's for me, nowadays it's all got too bloody sterile with these "all seaters" with stewards that don't let you be proper football fans.

:albion:

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
paying on the day

the sound of stones thrown by the away fans hitting the roof

Unity

Terracing

affordability

everything really

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
sir albion said:
To be honest i don't miss it that much,as it was a crumbling wreck anyway.It certainly had many of good times though.:smokin:

know what you mean, but it was a proper ground and I am finding Withdean a bit of a chore these days

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Bakesy said:
Terraces were a superb place to watch from in the 70's to the 90's for me, nowadays it's all got too bloody sterile with these "all seaters" with stewards that don't let you be proper football fans.

:albion:
Too true.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yeah compared to the withdean it was awsome,but i honestly believe that if we went straight into a new stadium most wouldn't miss it that much.

Northstand was great,and the 30k+ gates i never witnessed,but im sure it was awsome.For many years half the ground was abondoned with weeds everywhere.???

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Herne Hill Seagull said:
Standing. Specifically, standing right at the back of the North Stand, under the 'o' of the 'Hove Superstore' Co-op advert, with my back against the back wall, behind the goal.

Coming up the road, buying a programme from the sellers on the Church steps, and looking at how full the North Stand was before I got to it.

A lot of people have said the smell - for me, it was the mix of tobacco smoke and frying onions that was most evocative. Withdean simply doesn't smell like that, even though the same type of shit's being cooked and the same stuff's being smoked.

Having a home, frankly. A home which places, and partly defines, the club - the only thing which is supposed to be around longer than the fans.

I went by there for the first time in a few years over the weekend, and the sense of loss remains - it still looks wrong without the back of the North Stand and the floodlights. Even Falmer, essential that it is to have it, and brilliant that it will no doubt be, will never come close. Somebody else said that, earlier in the thread - if you don't have a period of going to a ground during your youth, you'll never identify with it as strongly as most of us do with the Goldstone.

I'll never feel as strong an affinity for Falmer as I did, and still do, for the Goldstone because it was part of the fabric of my growing up. A whole generation of Brighton kids has been denied that because of what those bastards did. I'm confident it won't happen to a second generation.

Spot on with that summary, young man.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
A few jars in the Eclipse ,a walk through the flats under the tunnel. Grab a programe look at the north stand ,make a decision with mates wether its the north stand or east terrace north after we could see how many away fans thier are to wind up if lots east if not many north great days .
The other thing i will miss is my kids not having the laugh at the goldstone a lot of us had, so i hope we and they can create something like in at Falmer.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
seagurn said:
A few jars in the Eclipse ,a walk through the flats under the tunnel. Grab a programe look at the north stand ,make a decision with mates wether its the north stand or east terrace north after we could see how many away fans thier are to wind up if lots east if not many north great days .
The other thing i will miss is my kids not having the laugh at the goldstone a lot of us had, so i hope we and they can create something like in at Falmer.

We will do, first thing when that ground is built we'll have a North Stand or similar and will make one hell of a f*cking racket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here