Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you miss about the Goldstone

The Keeper

Oct 22, 2005
West Sussex
Getting in a different turnstile queue than my dad, and then spending the next 15 minutes trying to find each other the other side

:lolol:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
My dad hated football and a guy two doors away took me to my first Albion games (he only had a daughter so I guess I was like a surrogate son he could take to matches).

And that first game (v Torquay 1967) was watched from the front right of the North Stand. From that day onwards I always watched the Albion from the North Stand, graduating to further back in the stand as I got older and braver. The sights, sounds, smells and atmosphere is something that will always stay with me.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hannibal smith said:
No, he was actually a Rates collector. You were always in the next group to us in the same spot every week. My Dad and his mates always had Flat caps, looked old and moaned. As I say the only other people I remember were 2 blokes, one of whom was a Plymouth fan who basically shouted at the lino for 90 minutes. Everything else has blurred in time.

I left during my later teenage years to stand with my mates in the North Stand and act 'ard

I remember those two...the Plymouth fan was dave, gingerish bloke and the other guy I think was called Frank. - still see dave every now and again. Also with us was Sue and her daughters. Behind us,up in the next bit was Jill and her Dad...ginger bird. they still go. Did you go to the Liverpool game where my missus fainted?

I asked if your dad was a copper because there was a guy called Huey who was high up in the Sussex Police who stood with us with his son.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Walking across the park to the ground, looking for my mates, listening to the noise get louder and louder, looking out for the Copper on his horse, buying a programme on the corner, queueing to get in, pushing thru the turnstile, squeezing into the always-packed ground...............................

:clap2: :albion: :clap2:

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
FamilyGuy said:
Walking across the park to the ground, looking for my mates, listening to the noise get louder and louder, looking out for the Copper on his horse, buying a programme on the corner, queueing to get in, pushing thru the turnstile, squeezing into the always-packed ground...............................
:clap2: :albion: :clap2:

you obviously didn't go much between 92-97. the ground was hardly ever packed. or is this the rose coloured specs.... etc....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dave the gaffer said:
Funny you say that John, my Dad used to take Paul and I and we stood on the East Terrace. After a while, we both met up with mates and moved to various parts of the East Terrace, but my Dad always stood in his spot! Anyway, we used to go up at half time and talk about the previous half. Aftre a season of barry LLoyd, Dad gave up on going, saying he would not go whist BL was in charge, but I felt a tad guilty as he would not come and stand with us. He died in 1991 and I was really sad and annoyed with myself that I didnt try and persuade him to stand with us.

When something like that happens you do realise how short your time is and how you must sieze the moment every day as you never know when that person will be gone.

In fact whilst writing this it occured to me that I forgot his anniversary on the 13th December. It was 14 years ago and I still miss him.

:down: :down: :down:

Exactly the same as attila and Dave. My Dad died in 1998. He wouldn't allow me to go in the North stand by myself and he hated being behind a goal because he said he got a better view of the game from the halfway line.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Johnny Byrne superstar said:
I keep having this recurring dream that the Goldstone was never demolished and that they are re-opening it.

so do i - it is bizare

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Waiting at half-time for the Scores from other games to be put up on little boards in front of West Stand.

21,000 for the England under21 game when Wardy made his debut.

Standing next to Brian Clough in the East Stand after a match while he gave an interview for TV, and he gave me a clip round the ear for saying something cheeky.

29.000 for an FA cup match against Derby County, i think they were lying 2nd or 3rd in the old 1st Division. Think the score was 1-1

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Getting a copy of Gulls Eye at the church near the south east corner.

"Krispies, give us a song..."

Boxing day home to Palace with my dad & brother.

Half time scores on the tannoy.

When the half time whistle blew you had to sit down really quick or you couldn't sit at all. It was like one mass round of musical bumps.

Starting off "Give us a Bee.." atleast once every home game.
:love:

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Charlotte that sold the burgers behind the North Stand :love:

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
I used to love the buzz of tumbling down the north stand when we scored and trying to get the south stand to sing us a song. what do you miss? [/B]

Just about everything really, I cried when it all ended :down:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Sigull said:
"Krispies, give us a song..."

I have an old 45 rpm with "The Goldstone Rap & "!The Boys in the Old Brighton blue "......circa 1983 aaahhh. ...memories Hey !!

I have an mp3 of The Boys in the Old Brighton Blue, and buy Krispies evnough pints after a match and he'll still do the Goldstone Rap. :clap: :clap:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Johnny Byrne superstar said:
you obviously didn't go much between 92-97. the ground was hardly ever packed. or is this the rose coloured specs.... etc....

You're right - I didn't go much between 92 and 97, my young family and making money took precedence :down:

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
fair play. i would have loved to have been at a regularly packed goldstone. i went to the ground at capacity, but obviously by that point the north-east corner was out of action and by the end bellotti had banned fans from standing near the player's tunnel on the west's lower terrace. because he was so scared....

i used to love the old portacabin club shop. used to spend all my paper round money there on clothing of varying standards of quality. my most bizarre bit of albion clothing is my deer-hunter hat with a seagull on it. it caused those around me at the the priestfield to sing "he's got a hairy muff on his head!"

:blush:

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
Walking down the Old Shoreham Road and seeing the crowd on the East Terrace.

The old Argus seller walking round the touchline.

Shit food.

Standing on a milk crate in the south east corner.

Johnny Crumplin football genius.

Shitting myself when Leeds tore the place up.

Dean Wilkins free kick against Ipswich.

Fans united.

Doncaster.

I could go on all night.....

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
-Pay on the gate, and going through the old turnstiles
-The short walk to the ground
-Standing at matches
-Hearing the north stand in full voice