Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you miss about the Goldstone

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
queueing for hours to get fa cup final replay tickets, woundn't it be nice to have to do that again, different result expect of course

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
withdeanwombat said:
Strewth!You had it easy.When i was there it was up through the copse to yhr top of Snakey Hill,then down and along past the Nevil (Arms?) and back in via Frant Road.

When you grew up you had to walk up Snakey Hill,where the run would go down to Waterhall,then back up alongside the golf course returning to the start along Devil's Dyke Road.

Now,that was a cross country!

But the Goldstone.........ahh,the massed thousands for games against the likes of Darlington and Tranmere,and "Tiptoe through the northstand....",swaying down the terraces for corners and close shots as well as the goals,Wardy,Kit,Spider et al,the walk home with match analysis along the Old Shoreham Road.

We will never see its like again.

(blows nose,wipes eyes.Be strong......be strong!)

yeah ... when the North Stand was full with gates of 13,000 to 20,000 for the visits of the likes of Bury, Torquay and Brizzel Rovers

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
anyone remember that Leeds fan who was dressed in Leeds kit and after about 10 minutes of the second half, started to " warm up" in the North East Corner.

Funniest thing.

And Jimmy Greaves been told to "jump in the sea" after beating liverpool 2-0

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The coppers hat being knocked off by a shot from Dale Jasper(?) right in front of the North Stand :lolol:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
the smell of the North Stand during a winter night game ... a sort of mix of sweat, Bovril and cigarette smoke

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Charlton reserves when the tickets were on sale for Derby cup game ( 1975/6) 17,000 odd in at half time whistle....3 men and a dog at the start of the second half!!!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
being able to decide on the day
paying on the gate
turning up early to guarantee entry !!! ( ok only about once every 2 years that happened latterly )
standing on terracing, even if Evil DTG got it closed down on purpose :lolol:
a good size pitch, with slope !
location location location !

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That wanker Joey Jones and Chris Hutchens winding the Chelsea Homicidal maniacs up in the leggo Stand whilst we were fighting the scumbags for our lives in the East Terrace

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Having spent a bit of time in that area recently, it's always still a bit of a shock to come around the corner from Hove station/Conway Street by the old church and not see the north stand in the distance.

I reckon that, at my best, I could predict the crowd accurately to within 500-1000, just from seeing the North stand.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like others have said I miss the Goldstone from it's 70s heyday, packed crowds, surging North Stand, great atmosphere (remember Ipswich in the League Cup in about 1976), Ron Pavey doing the halftime draw, the bloke with the board, etc - but I do NOT miss the decrepit old wreck it became in it's latter years. The crowds dwindled, the concrete crumbled and the team sank. It was like watching a much-loved old friend die of a hideous disease.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A roof.
Walking over the railway bridge after a few pints.
"Gritt believes Belotti bullshit" daubed on the walls

I certainly don't miss the smell of the North Stand toilets. MINGING!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Jimmy Saville said:

"Gritt believes Belotti bullshit" daubed on the walls

my mates father in law wrote that!!!!! and I think he spelt it wrong didnt he?

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Wasn't it:

"Grit believes Belotti Bulshit"

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
withdeanwombat said:
Strewth!You had it easy.When i was there it was up through the copse to yhr top of Snakey Hill,then down and along past the Nevil (Arms?) and back in via Frant Road.

When you grew up you had to walk up Snakey Hill,where the run would go down to Waterhall,then back up alongside the golf course returning to the start along Devil's Dyke Road.

Now,that was a cross country!

Remember those runs well....

Things I miss about the Goldstone...

The anticipation of the game when getting near to the ground especially at floodlit matches.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
having to hold onto my daughters stool ,while she drooled over harry wilson.

she was 9 years old.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Smuggling in bags of cellery to chuck onto the pitch as we sung "cellery!"

The only club in England where the police looked for Celery rather than weapons!

:lolol: :clap2: :lolol:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i will never forget when brightonfan 86's mums seat colapsed during the game - possibly one of the funniest things i have ever witnessed:lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here